What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I transferred my Italian reds off the oak last night. They have been sitting for 2 months. I did a Chianti, Valpolicella and a Barolo. The Chianti and Valpolicella were sitting on 4 1/2 oz of medium French oak and the Barolo had 2 spirals of Medium American oak. All taste very good but I have to say the Barolo was by far the best IMHO. Dark in color, medium body smooth mouth feel with a creamy vanilla taste. Off to aging for another few months. I figure I'll bottle in about a year.

Finally sitting down to rest my tired butt. For the first time in years, I'm home alone with an eight (8) (VIII) yes eight hour window to do anything I please! Younger kids are at Grandmas (overnight last night), Wife and oldest Son are working. I started by, sleeping in until 7:30 am! Woo hoo! Have now cleaned the house including bathrooms, wrapped presents, doing laundry, about to do some wine stuff, including carbonating up a batch of Sparkling Pinot Grigio, then make the pizza doughs and then clean the kitchen floor, hopefully before my wife gets home. She hasn't been able to spend time cleaning the house up this weekend, so this was a no-brainer Christmas gift so she can relax and not worry, until next week. Will attend Church services at 7 pm tonight, then I help out with services at Rock Chapel tonight at 11 pm. Haven't been able to help out in recent years, but when you get 100+ people singing Christmas Carols inside that old place, it's something pretty special, gives me goose bumps just thinking about it!

Merry Christmas to all! Hope you receive the gifts that you don't deserve (the really good ones)!

Just got home from Church. Good thing I went to church. I'm still steaming a bit about this one. Was coming home and happened upon a slower moving car, out of state on our back roads, I'd go slower too. Some one came flying up from behind, and followed me so close that I couldn't see his headlights through my rear view mirror, and I drive a corolla which is about as low to the ground as you can get. Turned onto the access road to our lake community, as with the last two turns, he didn't use his turn signals but was able to stay very close to my back bumper. On the way to the gates (we have an electronic gate) I brake checked him, which obviously pissed him off more. Once inside the lake he followed us, the car in front pulled off and I eventually pulled off to let him pass, but he pulled in behind me. So I proceeded to the next intersection, pulled over again, and he followed right behind me. I exited the car and went to see what his issues were. It was the brake check. I informed him of his close following which he denied. At that point his young soft peachy face appeared to have a bullseye on it, but I held back. 1) my youngest son was in the car and 2) I just witnessed a wonderful service about what tomorrow is really about in the religion I follow. I turned around and ignored his rantings and derogatory language, got back into the car, and drove the rest of the way home. He eventually peeled off and went another way.

In the driveway my son asked me why I didn't punch him and just walked away. I said "Son, sometimes it just isn't worth the satisfaction to prove to someone you are right. I knew I was right and that is all that mattered, plus I didn't want to ruin our Christmas by being in the police station all night. And I think I was about 100 lbs bigger than he was, and that's not a fair fight, he might have gotten hurt".

Of course, if you know me, I'd never hurt a fly. Only way I'd hurt someone is sitting on them (I'm about 230 lbs). He was actively talking so I think he was a bit more scared than I was, I was more worried about a concealed weapon, which is the best reason not to get out of the car. Just didn't want to drive home so he'd know my address or have to drive around the lake until he became disinterested since a-holes can be really stubborn, like me.

Off to another service, I think I need it...

Just got home from Church. Good thing I went to church. I'm still steaming a bit about this one. Was coming home and happened upon a slower moving car, out of state on our back roads, I'd go slower too. Some one came flying up from behind, and followed me so close that I couldn't see his headlights through my rear view mirror, and I drive a corolla which is about as low to the ground as you can get. Turned onto the access road to our lake community, as with the last two turns, he didn't use his turn signals but was able to stay very close to my back bumper. On the way to the gates (we have an electronic gate) I brake checked him, which obviously pissed him off more. Once inside the lake he followed us, the car in front pulled off and I eventually pulled off to let him pass, but he pulled in behind me. So I proceeded to the next intersection, pulled over again, and he followed right behind me. I exited the car and went to see what his issues were. It was the brake check. I informed him of his close following which he denied. At that point his young soft peachy face appeared to have a bullseye on it, but I held back. 1) my youngest son was in the car and 2) I just witnessed a wonderful service about what tomorrow is really about in the religion I follow. I turned around and ignored his rantings and derogatory language, got back into the car, and drove the rest of the way home. He eventually peeled off and went another way.

In the driveway my son asked me why I didn't punch him and just walked away. I said "Son, sometimes it just isn't worth the satisfaction to prove to someone you are right. I knew I was right and that is all that mattered, plus I didn't want to ruin our Christmas by being in the police station all night. And I think I was about 100 lbs bigger than he was, and that's not a fair fight, he might have gotten hurt".

Of course, if you know me, I'd never hurt a fly. Only way I'd hurt someone is sitting on them (I'm about 230 lbs). He was actively talking so I think he was a bit more scared than I was, I was more worried about a concealed weapon, which is the best reason not to get out of the car. Just didn't want to drive home so he'd know my address or have to drive around the lake until he became disinterested since a-holes can be really stubborn, like me.

Glad that turned out the way it did. You never know these days. I've never had the face to face conflict, but have gone through my share of brake checks (on both sides of the equation) and have certainly changed my route home once or twice, so as to not draw attention to the homestead. Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine, and rest up for the big day tomorrow.

Services went really well tonight. We had some rain today and don't have a paved parking lot (the church was built in 1773), but no one got stuck in the mud! I was director of parking on my side of the road, put cars on the high side and 4x4's where some extra traction might be needed.

Amazing how much better I feel after belting out a few Christmas type hymns. That place makes me sound like Pavarotti, and actually did have what I think was a Mennonite lady turn around and give me a nod of approval (her hubby wasn't singing very loud).

Talked over my altercation that I had earlier with a few in our Church who deal with that on a daily basis and they said the same thing, don't get out of the car, there are crazy people out there who don't know the value of a human life...

One more beer then it's bed time!

BTW, thanks guys for the support. Sometimes, rarely, I just snap. I'm usually pretty easy going, good thing I don't carry a gun and never plan to.

Last edited:

The older I get, the less I understand the impatience of others. I drive several thousand miles each month and see much of what you experienced. If they would do the math and see what little time they actually save, they would be more patient. Craig, you were the better man and did the right thing. Your son will always remember that. I raise my glass to you my WMT friend. [emoji106]

Listening to U2 Achtung Baby and realizing I really need to invest in a new pair of headphones.

Oh, enjoying the dregs of a Diablo Rojo, very nice at 19+ months.

Must be a throwback night. Momma is out, kids are in bed, and I'm watching 'Singles'. Such a great movie. It's release was well timed for me, coming out when I was in my early 20's, out of college and trying to live (and date) in the real world. And a fantastic soundtrack, reflective of the 'grunge' times, but classics as well. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, REM, Jane's Addiction, Jimi Hendrix, Paul Westerberg, Smashing Pumpkins, Sly and the Family Stone and more. A hilarious look at dating in the early/mid 90's. And probably especially so if you lived in Seattle. Had huge crushes on Bridget Fonda and Kyra Sedgwick as a result of this movie. :D

And probably especially so if you lived in Seattle.

So the question begs, did you live in Seattle at some point?? I would have loved to, but they'd never get me out of the fish market...

On a side note, I went upstairs to use the facilities, and my wife was already in bed. When I queried her as to why she didn't say goodnight, she said I seemed to be bouncing around and enjoying the music so much when she came down to say goodnight that she was afraid of scaring me (and me having a cardiac malfunction). So I've said goodnight and I just queued up ELO Out of the Blue. Nice long 72 minute album/CD - whatever those are...

Last edited:
So the question begs, did you live in Seattle at some point?? I would have loved to, but they'd never get me out of the fish market...

No, but I was very much into that music scene. I went from hair metal-head to grunge hound. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. Somewhere in between, I became a big fan of the Replacements/Paul Westerberg, who's sound is throughout the movie. Still love the grunge and Westerberg sound these days. The hair metal love has died a bit, but definitely shows it's face every so often. (go back and look at my pic from this past Halloween)

Sitting in the deer stand with my little buddy. Weather was warm yesterday afternoon, but we managed to harvest an old buck, his first one for the wall. I wanted him to wait for a better deer, but he was having none of that, perfect shot and a quick exit for the old boy. 210 pound 8 point, heavy rack, the rut is on here in north Mississippi, just waiting for a front to turn these 60's to 30's.

IMG_0726.jpg

John, well done for you and your little buddy, The Deer Hunter. And on that note I can say honestly that today I'm flying to Vietnam.

Spent the day playing tourist in Santa fe yesterday with our daughter in SIL who live in Burbank. Went to see "La La Land" and have to say it was excellent. If you want to forget about everything that has gone wrong in 2016 for 2 hours and 5 minutes you can't go wrong with this. Wonderful (old Hollywood feel musical) flick!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdqf4P9MB8[/ame]

Doing a work from home day today, so I'm starting another 12 gallons of pee, bench testing the Brianna and Stueben, and readying the winery to bottle another 13 cases of Diamond.....

Latest posts

Back