MLF and Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would a kit wine benefit from MLF? I was looking at getting a couple of bid red kits of varietals that when they are grape must, MLF is typically done. With them being kits and having acid adjustments made to them, is MLF needed or has anyone still done it?

Thanks

It is my understanding that you should NEVER inoculate kits with MLF bacteria.

... I am not so sure. Some kit contains Malic acid, like the first one I did.
which kit was that? Vineco, Cellar Craft, Winexpert, and RJ Spagnols kits should not go through MLF. Other brands, I don't really know, but I doubt that Paklab, and Advintage kits should be put through MLF.

which kit was that? Vineco, Cellar Craft, Winexpert, and RJ Spagnols kits should not go through MLF. Other brands, I don't really know, but I doubt that Paklab, and Advintage kits should be put through MLF.

this one:
9308576482_c1f48e5870.jpg

Probably the best explanation as to why you should never attempt MLF on a kit wine comes right from Daniel Pambianchi's book Techniques in Home Winemaking.

Do NOT attempt MLF on kit wines because these types of juices have been tartrate-stabilzed during their production and thus contain a very high proportion of malic acid, which would be converted to lactic acid. The resulting wine would have very little acid (taste flabby), and a high pH making it very susceptible to bacterial infections....

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the best explanation as to why you should never attempt MLF on a kit wine comes right from Daniel Pambianchi's book Techniques in Home Winemaking.

Do NOT attempt MLF on kit wines because these types of juices have been tartrate-stabilzed during their production and thus contain a very high proportion of malic acid, which would be converted to lactic acid. The resulting wine would have very little acid (taste flabby), and a high pH making it very susceptible to bacterial infections....

So you are saying DON'T do MLF not because there is no need, but because the contrary, there is too much Malic acid in it. Then doesn't so much Malic acid make it a ticking bomb in the bottle?

I wouldn't if I were you

You'll find an almost duplicate of that statement in WineMaker's "Guide to Wine Kits"
In addition, Tim V. states the following:
"Also, there are some situations in which a small amount of sorbate may be present in juices or concentrates. Malolactic fermentation in the presence of sorbate yields hexadienol, which produces the odor of rotting geraniums".
I agree with Mike, and WineMaker mag.

Latest posts

Back