Other Select International Chilean Cab Sav

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Chevelle

Junior
Reaction score
I have a wine kit (my first) that I have gotten to the bottling phase. Before bottling I tasted the wine and it was awful. Now I know that these kits for the reds are known to be thin because of its lack of skins, however the taste was very off as well. so now my dilemma, do I bottle as is and hope that it improves in 3 or 6 months. Or should I try and take action like adding raisins or something else?????

Thanks for the advise in advance and I am sure I am leaving out some important information anything thats needed please feel free to ask.

I have a wine kit (my first) that I have gotten to the bottling phase. Before bottling I tasted the wine and it was awful. Now I know that these kits for the reds are known to be thin because of its lack of skins, however the taste was very off as well. so now my dilemma, do I bottle as is and hope that it improves in 3 or 6 months. Or should I try and take action like adding raisins or something else?????

Thanks for the advise in advance and I am sure I am leaving out some important information anything thats needed please feel free to ask.
Can you give us some idea of what was wrong with the taste? "Awful" covers a lot of ground.

Steve

Second on the need for more description. I assume this wine is only ~6 weeks old or so? As long as nothing bad has happened to the wine, I think judgement should be reserved until a significant amount of time has passed.

The taste is very watery, I can taste the alcohol a little in it. So if it is just really young should I bulk age it in the carboy or should I go ahead and bottle and wait to see in a few months? Also what types of tastes am I looking for in a young wine.

Does the kit manufacture guarantee satisfaction? If so and you stick with the instructions and later still find the wine awful the manufacturer should take care of you.

after a little more research and the Norther website, it looks like its normal. I guess I need to just bottle and give it time... one of the ratings on the site is as follows.
My go to red wine preference Review by MiTreats
Rating
I've made this twice and at the price, $3 per bottle, it's hard to go wrong. You're able to drink this right on bottling day when it'll be more fruity. The longer it ages the less prominent is the berry flavor, and the pepper and oak begin to show. Two to three years is probably the preferred time to drink it but it's hard to wait! (Posted on 7/27/10)

Back