Max co2 Pressure from fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lloyd

green grape
Reaction score
I cannot find any thing more on the max pressure attained by fermentation. Any one else Know more?:a1 "The aim of this work is to investigate the possibility of producing ethanol by glucose fermentation under high pressure of carbon dioxide up to 48 bar, in order to exploit both ethanol and denser CO2 as a by-product of the process. The fermentation is carried out using Ethanol Red™-Lesaffre Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast strain, which is commonly applied in industrial bioethanol production.
The experiments were performed in six small reactors (2 mL of volume each) connected in parallel, to investigate the effect of the process variables at the same conditions of temperature and pressure, and in one pilot reactor (1 L of volume) to confirm the results obtained at the lower scale.

The influence of operative variables, such as carbon dioxide pressure (0–48 bar), temperature (32 and 36 °C), glucose (150–250 g/L), inositol (0–400 mg/L) and biomass concentration (OD 2 and 3.5), was measured in terms of ethanol concentration (by gas chromatography) and ethanol productivity (expressed as grams of ethanol per CFU of yeast). Both of these parameters were found to be strongly dependent on glucose concentration and CO2 pressure, which negatively affects the fermentation. Nevertheless, also at 50 bar it is possible to produce appreciable amounts of ethanol.":d

Way over my head!!! Not sure what you are trying to achieve but if its higher alc make sure you dont speak of it here. If its fuel that may be illegal also without being taxed.

No Wade I was trying to figure just how much pressure could be expected in a closed vessel due to fermentation. I thought that maybe it would be 90 psi not enough to burst a champagne bottle but it looks like under certain conditions it it could be as high as 750 psi enough to rupture the strongest keg. I would like to make sparkling wine and champagne but do NOY want to hurt my self or any one else. Just trying to be safe. thats all.

Latest posts

Back