Pronunciations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Here's a quick list of wine pronunciations.

Amarone (Ah-ma-ROE-nay)
Barbera (Bar-BARE-ah)
Barolo (Ba-ROE-loe)
Beaujolais (Boe-zho-lay)
Bordeaux (Bore-DOH)
Brise-de-Mer (Bree-zey du mare)
Brunello (Broo-NELL-oh)
Burgundy (Bur-gun-dee)
Cabernet Franc (Cab-air-nay FrahN)
Cabernet Sauvignon (Cab-air-nay So-veen-yawN)
Carignane (Cah-reen-yawN)
Chablis (Shah-BLEE)
Chambourcin (Sham-boor-saN)
Chardonnay (SHAR-doe-nay)
Chenin Blanc (Shay-naN BLAHN)
Chianti (Ki-AHN-tee)
Colombard (COLE-um-bar)
Gewurztraminer (Geh-VERTZ-trah-mee-nur)
Grenache (Gray-NAHSH)
Lambrusco (Lahm-BROOS-coe)
Liebfraumilch (LEEB-frow-milsh)
Malbec (Mahl-bek)
Merlot (Mare-low)
Montepulciano (Mont-eh-pull-CHIA-no)
Mourvedre (Moor-VED'rr)
Muscat (MOOS-caht)
Musette (myoo-zet)
Petite Sirah (Peh-TEET sih-RAH)
Petit Verdot (Peh-tee Vehr-doe)
Piesporter (PEAS-porter)
Pinot Blanc (PEE-noe BLAHN)
Pinot Grigio (PEE-noe GREE-joe)
Pinot Gris (PEE-noe GREE)
Pinot Noir (Pee-noe Nwahr)
Pinotage (Pee-noe-tahj)
Primo Bianco (Pree-moh Byahn-ko)
Primo Rosso (Pree-moh Row-soe)
Riesling (REESE-ling)
Rioja Tinto (Ree-OH-hah TEEN-toe)
Ruisseau Blanc (Rue-so BLAHN)
Sangiovese (Sahn-joe-VAY-zeh)
Sauvignon Blanc (So-veen-YAWN BLAHN)
Semillon (Say-MEE-yoN)
Shiraz (Shee-rahz)
Soave (SUAVE-eh)
Super Tuscan (Soo-per TUSS-can)
Syrah (See-rah)
Tempranillo (Temp-rah-NEEL-yo)
Valpolicella (Vahl-poe-lee-CHELL-ah)
Verdicchio (Vehr-DEEK-yo)
Vieux Chateau du Roi (Vyou Shat-o do RWAH)
Vino Blanc (Vee-noe BLAHN)
Vino Rosso (Vee-noe ROE-soe)
Viognier (Vee-OHN-yay)
Zinfandel (Zin-fahn-DELL)

Dang you must have been talking to my wife today. She just told me that I need to learn how to pronounce them and that we have cards showing how. Someone posted a site on here earlier last week that actually had a voice saying the names for you.

I never saw that post, ive been pretty busy and missed some god posts Im sure!

you forgot 2 I'm doing
Petit Verdot - (Peh-tee Vehr-doe)
Chambourcin - (Sham-boor-saN)

I think it is good to know the better way of pronouncing all the names of wines and for me its a good read. I am somewhere finding difficulty in pronouncing some names of wines like-Chardonnay, Beaujolais, Gewurztramine etc. I know how it feels when somebody ask you the name of wine that you are serving and you dont know how to pronounce it well.

I must say Wade there will be some other old and classic wine also that are difficult to pronounce. Like you, I do will find out some old and classic names of wines with their pronunciations and share it with every one.

The way in which a word is pronounced..Pronunciation refers to the way a word or a language is spoken, or the manner in which someone utters a word. If one is said to have "correct pronunciation", then it refers to both within a particular dialect.A word can be spoken in different ways by various individuals or groups, depending on many factors, such as: the area in which they grew up, the area in which they now live, if they have a speech or voice disorder, their ethnic group, their social class, or their education.

What about "Carmenère", I'm never sure about it. :b :h

Rich L.

The way in which a word is pronounced..Pronunciation refers to the way a word or a language is spoken, or the manner in which someone utters a word. If one is said to have "correct pronunciation", then it refers to both within a particular dialect.A word can be spoken in different ways by various individuals or groups, depending on many factors, such as: the area in which they grew up, the area in which they now live, if they have a speech or voice disorder, their ethnic group, their social class, or their education.

Sorry Mr Gladmark but you just got a bad mark and have been voted off the island!

Oh I like this! Sometimes I have trouble or forget how to pronounce certain ones.

Guys, this isn't a wine but the term shows up all the time. Does Brix rhyme with bricks or brie like the cheese? Seems like its a french word, so my best guess is like the cheese, but I repeat it's a guess.

Pam in cinti

Guys, this isn't a wine but the term shows up all the time. Does Brix rhyme with bricks or brie like the cheese? Seems like its a french word, so my best guess is like the cheese, but I repeat it's a guess.

Pam in cinti

It rhymes with bricks. It's a measurement that doesn't get thrown around much in non-fresh grape wine making. We reference the specific gravity reading much more often.

Latest posts

Back