What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my 2015 CA Cab. Very happy with it. Will definately benefit from more rest and time in the bottle. Very good now with potential to be superb over the next 12 months.

Went and looked at a former church last night to rent as a winery. All brick, new roof, about 40 by 60, upstairs still has the pews, downstairs has a small kitchen, 3 offices and a big area we could use to put the tanks in. ADA accessible, 3 bathrooms, outside area with concrete for a pavilion. The owner will repave the parking area, and has already put in a sewage discharge. There is a bricked sign that he will fix and would like to put our name on it. The site has 5 acres with it. Owner will not sell (wife tried that already).

the elephant in the room is that he wants $3500 a month, which is definitely worth it. But in real terms, that's selling 30 cases a month just to pay the rent, and we have to pay electric, sewage and water, gas, garbage and insurance, plus try to make a profit. He wants a 3 year lease.

A good thing that we do have in our corner is that the owner likes our story. He's 87 and owns half the town and was looking forward to meeting us as his god son and friend had checked out our facebook page. They like that we are community oriented.

they have other businesses already looking at the site, but the owner already told them he wanted us. He said he is willing to work with us, and the owner wants to cut the grass in the summer.

Any thoughts???????

How many cases of wine do you think you will be able to sell? Maybe ask him for a reduced lease for one year with the possibly of paying more rent and sign for a longer term after the first year.

This is the unknown as to how much we could sell. Going into this year, we had no brand recognition, no one knew who we were, no one knew our wines. Now we have a bit of a following, people are asking where our winery is and want to visit.

However, that being said, we have been told that many people won't buy your wines at an event, but then say they will go to your winery to buy (but never make the trip). So there is risk and reward, but I can't say for sure about either.

@Hokapsig: It sounds like a pretty good deal (not knowing what the market is like in your area). Two concerns I would have: 1) You are not building any equity by leasing (though that is offset by a low cost of entry) and 2) At almost any time, the place could be ripped out from under you. When you're looking at planting a crop that won't yield anything for multiple years, that's a considerable risk. I kind of like Julie's idea of a lower first year, followed by a multi-year option. You'd have time to get a better feel for your potential cashflow without a significant investment in property.

@Hokapsig, there is a small winery about 1 hour from my house and they started out small. One of the ways they grew was using Groupon to entice people to try them out. They don't grow to many grapes, but do source quite a lot. They also sell wine to a few select stores.
hope this helps in your decision. good luck, Bakervinyard

Guys, you are confirming what we've been thinking. Lots of money going out with no equity coming back. I think we will pass on this opportunity, but now we have an idea of what the market is for what we are looking. We have other options to consider, but haven't had time to investigate those yet..... Possibly something a little less expensive or a little smaller for now. If the owner ever decides to sell the church, we will consider it....

Guys, you are confirming what we've been thinking. Lots of money going out with no equity coming back. I think we will pass on this opportunity, but now we have an idea of what the market is for what we are looking. We have other options to consider, but haven't had time to investigate those yet..... Possibly something a little less expensive or a little smaller for now. If the owner ever decides to sell the church, we will consider it....
can I ask how long you've been at it making wine?

This is the unknown as to how much we could sell. Going into this year, we had no brand recognition, no one knew who we were, no one knew our wines. Now we have a bit of a following, people are asking where our winery is and want to visit.

However, that being said, we have been told that many people won't buy your wines at an event, but then say they will go to your winery to buy (but never make the trip). So there is risk and reward, but I can't say for sure about either.

We still are running into this. We have been commercial for 6 years but only opened the tasting room 1 year ago. We thought that people would be beating down our door, but its more like politely knocking. We are making rent, utilities, and able to buy what we need but I thought it would be a bit more than this by now. Events in town really help but I think you need to spend a lot on advertising if new or something more unknown like mead.

We do want to have some of your wine available but not until January. I will say that location is huge. You know where we are and we do OK, not sure if that would be different if we were on Main Street, on a more traveled roadway, or had a bigger place that could do events. Although I don't know what the other local winery does business-wise.

Getting ready to do a craft show at Sturbridge Villiage. Just finished turning some wine stopper/corkscrew assy.
Competing with Black Friday, Sat and Sun.

Bill

We still are running into this. We have been commercial for 6 years but only opened the tasting room 1 year ago. We thought that people would be beating down our door, but its more like politely knocking. We are making rent, utilities, and able to buy what we need but I thought it would be a bit more than this by now. Events in town really help but I think you need to spend a lot on advertising if new or something more unknown like mead.

The wineries that seem to do really well around here (Northern VA) are ones that are always hosting some sort of 'event'. Live music, food trucks, etc are becoming pretty standard, as are open areas where people feel they can bring the family and just 'hang out'. It is very common to talk to people and hear 'the wines are OK, but we come because its a nice spot and there are things to see and do. If we were at home, we'd be drinking something else.' However, these are the same people that are in the 'clubs' and receive quarterly allotments. So there must be some steady revenue in there.

Out on the West coast for Thanksgiving with the kids. SIL has season tickets to the Rams. Great seats but basically rained/drizzled the entire game. The Coliseum has certainly seen its share of history but as far as a venue for NFL football in 2016 it is sorely lacking in facilities and just darn pretty sad. The new stadium won't be finished until 2018 IIRC. Fantastic weather after that (of course). Sunny and 72 degrees for a high and upper 50's for the low. Found some excellent wine selections from Costco (of course) for T-Day!

Went for a nice long walk in the Burbank "hood" today...... Some really cool houses. Fruit hanging everywhere. Tomorrow is honey baked ham and honey baked turkey breast. Nobody cooks in LA it seems. We are doing some sides. Stuffing, potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, pies. SWMBO's parents are here as well. Definitely watching some football. :db

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

We do want to have some of your wine available but not until January. I will say that location is huge. You know where we are and we do OK, not sure if that would be different if we were on Main Street, on a more traveled roadway, or had a bigger place that could do events. Although I don't know what the other local winery does business-wise.

Matt, we need to look into the state store on Main Street and see what that would cost. Might be interesting to split that location.....

Wife and I decided no cooking this Thanksgiving and it is our sixth Anniversary. So we decided to come down to Cancun, Mexico for our honeymoon. First picture is of the local Choati, a relative of the racoon, afraid of nothing. The second is the reason yesterday. All 3 hrs of it. The all inclusive bar helped to ease the pain of the rain.

1479994880876.jpg

1479994891797.jpg

Latest posts

Back