What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last minute came quicker than expected. I used it today on the neighbors grapes. I was over joyed...it worked perfectly with almost 0 escapees. And it makes cleaning easier too.

About to leave to have my 5 year colonoscopy performed (the colon cancer runs strong in our family). Let's see if anyone can top that for some fun on a Friday! I just can't wait to eat and drink somethiing other than "clear liquids" (beer and wine were not allowed). I lost six pounds in two days.

Also, the "air boy" left a message on my wife's cell phone. Got his address (we think) and a few other instructions, so he's still standing. Sounded very military like in his message (I think it was scripted).

About to leave to have my 5 year colonoscopy performed (the colon cancer runs strong in our family). Let's see if anyone can top that for some fun on a Friday! I just can't wait to eat and drink somethiing other than "clear liquids" (beer and wine were not allowed). I lost six pounds in two days.

Also, the "air boy" left a message on my wife's cell phone. Got his address (we think) and a few other instructions, so he's still standing. Sounded very military like in his message (I think it was scripted).

Getting mine in December... yay. But, I'd rather do it today than meet with a colossal prig this morning.

Yes, it was scripted. [emoji41]

Getting mine in December... yay. But, I'd rather do it today than meet with a colossal prig this morning.

Yes, it was scripted. [emoji41]

I'll have to say the "prep" is the hardest part. It was much easier this time verses five years ago. I just like the nap you get (though it's only about 20 minutes) during the procedure. I feel much better this time because the prep didn't keep me up all night last night. I still wish I had a hammock in the back yard, I'd be heading for that pretty shortly. Guess the couch will have to do for a short snooze.

FYI, no hits, runs or polyps.

"Milestone" HS reunion this weekend. Started w/ a 'tailgate' at the homecoming game, then out for drinks. More of the same tonight. Punchdowns, yard work and baseball before that though.

Big time birthday today. Double digits. The big 1-0 !!!
Taking a half dozen 10 yr old girls and my 6 yr old nephew to Amazing Escape Room in Cherry Hill NJ.
For those unfamiliar, an escape room is a fun little game involving role play and clues/codes/riddles/puzzles/problem solving to figure your way out before time is up.
I've never been but sounds like fun. Will have to force myself not to jump in and take over and allow the kids to actually get the experience.

Dreary day here and I've got a bit of a cold. Gonna bottle the Cabernet Sauvignon Rose this morning, then press the Merlot this afternoon. After that, watching the Nats and a steak dinner.

Work is done. Merlot is at 1.002 and yield was a little better than 7.5 gallons - a little low considering I added 3/4 of a gallon of acidulated water. Not too bad though. The Malbec is at 1.040, so I should be OK waiting until Friday if it continues at the current pace.

Well, not today, exactly, but I did this yesterday. A month or so ago, I bought a press, but I haven't seen similar presses. To work the screw, it just has a flat piece of aluminum stock. (This may not be original, as it looks a bit "added on." I figured it would take a long time to move the drive screw way up and down the basket, so I added a crank handle.

One funny part of this is that I was missing nearly all my decent tools. I often lend my tools to myself at work, so my good drill, my good drill bits, my punch, etc., were all at work. Moreover, I bought a used, dull 3/8-16 tap from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for a buck. (I normally only buy good tools these days, but I correctly figured I could get one lousy hole in Al out of it!) Had to drill the hole with an old, cheapo drill bit, after using a drywall screw for a punch, and using a little cordless drill/driver. Geez. Fortunately, my tap handle was at home. I used Mazola as my thread-cutting lubricant, but it got 'er done. I put some food-grade lubricant on the drive screw, and now it purrs up and down (under no-load conditions, obviously).

I also bought a half-sheet baking pan to use as a tray for the pressed juice. To make a spout, I wanted to bend down one side of the lip. It looked like they rolled the aluminum lip into a circle at the edges. I was going to just try to muscle the lip downward, but decided to unroll the lip first. Good thing I did, as there was a 1/4" steel bar that the lip was rolled around. So I cut that out of one end using an angle grinder cut-off, then hammered the aluminum into a spout shape (with, sigh, my cheap hammer, good one at work!).

First pic is the Craigslist ad for the press. Second pic shows my new crank handle.

my new press.jpg

DSCN0699.jpg

I spent most of today, since the best team in football Philadelphia Eagles weren't playing today, racking wines. Very overdue on some. None of them had turned to vinegar, so that was a positive thing. Racked seven batches (I love my AIO). Most I racked with the AIO, then gravity fed back into their original container after it was cleaned. I'm low on carboys, so until I bottle a few more batches, I have to use a common six gallon carboy and then transfer back to the original. I did siphon off a few bottles of Syrah from last Fall. They will act as my cellar Beaujolais, though they are much older than a normal one.

Edit: that Syrah batch was from this Spring, a true version of a Beaujolais at 5 months old!

19-22-17_racking.JPG

Last edited:
Well I went to pick up my Norton grapes today and helped at the crush pad for a few hours. Part of it was cruching and destemming the Norton. I figured I would buy enough grapes to fill my 32 gal Brute to the 25 gallon mark. All went as planned except when I filled the Brute I didn't fill it with grapes but rather crushed, destemmed and processed (processed with nutrients, tannin, some color enhancer). I ended up with 176 lbs of processed juice. I have no idea how much wine that will produce but more then I was anticipating. I now have planning I wasn't expecting.

Last edited:
I just separated it into 4 six gallon buckets to about 5 gallons of must in each. Going to innoculate with 4 different yeasts, RC 212, 71B and Vintner's Harvest R56. The Winemaker recommended I do not use the Clos so I'll hit my LHBS to see what they have. The Brix was low at 21.5 and the Ph 3.45. They didn't check for TA. Not sure if I'll chaptalize since the winery said they were not.

@mainshipfred: 3 lugs (108lbs) usually gets me 6.5-8 gallons of wine after press. After barrel aging, racking, etc, I finish with 6-7 gallons. I'd guesstimate you'll end up with 10 or so gallons.

I just separated it into 4 six gallon buckets to about 5 gallons of must in each. Going to innoculate with 4 different yeasts, RC 212, 71B and Vintner's Harvest R56. The Winemaker recommended I do not use the Clos so I'll hit my LHBS to see what they have. The Brix was low at 21.5 and the Ph 3.45. They didn't check for TA. Not sure if I'll chaptalize since the winery said they were not.

I wonder why no CLOS? I actually like that yeast alot. I could see using 71B because it chomps on some of the malic acid, but I don't know that it is recommended with a secondary MLF fermentation. Are you doing one?

PS. If you run out of carboy room, I'm sure one of us "locals" could adopt some, just twist our arms...

Last edited:
He told me why he didn't recommend the Clos but I forgot. He gave me so much information I couldn't remember it all. He also said he wasn't partial to the VP 41. He recommended MBR 31 because it imparts more of the buttery, creamy diacetyl so that is what I will be using. As far as the carboys go I really appreciate the offer but I'm good thanks. Buying another barrel. I have enough wines now to keep it full without over oaking plus my somewhat neutral barrel, that is at least until the spring harvest.

Back