What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, being that we are drawing our water from the bottom of a big lake, the water in winter is pretty much going to always be 39F (temp at which water is its densest). On paper, I can get 3.5 gpm from that (for an 80F delta-T, with 142kBTU/hr output power). I have never observed any problems in winter with our hot water availability. I usually set my thermostat to 126F, or sometimes 120, and use added heat on the DW. When you have a continuous supply of hot water, there is no advantage to setting the temperature high.

As an aside, for conventional tanked systems, there is a danger of setting the temp so low, because buggies (like Legionella pneumophila) can grow at this temperature. But since we're not holding a tank of water at 120F, we don't have that problem. And we have less danger of scalding.

Nice!! My first flight was in an historic, open-cockpit, fighter plane that belonged to a friend. I was around your son's age. Our friend did cool things like barrel rolls and dives.

Nice! We did some nice steep turns and dips, but no rolls. I'll be going back for the full acrobatic flight soon.

I am enjoying Craig's Chardonel tonight, and really like it. The wine is nicely acidic and I taste lemons.View attachment 39244

I'll save a couple more for you! Like I said in another post, I felt bad I stuck you with a bunch of white wines, and you gave me red wines (my favorites). I'm glad you liked it. Those grapes were from my local guy (Thunder Ridge Winery (Jeff)) who is one of @Brian 's mentors (who we met on Saturday @ Harford).

I think that one still tastes a little thin to me and too acidic, but then again they say that Chardonel is the poor man's/women's Chardonnay, so my expectations might have been too high. If it tasted good, that makes me feel good, as I'm always trying to improve my fermentation technique. Maybe all of that beer brewing in earlier in my life is paying off!

@ceeaton: is that the same Chardonel you gave me a while back? I recall that being very good.

It must have been, it's the only Chardonel I've ever made. It's just short (by a week) of 24 months old. My final numbers after MLF were a pH of 3.21 and TA of 7.3 g/L, so it definitely has a nice bite to it. Only used an ounce of French oak chips during primary fermentation, then 1 oz of the same variety of cubes in the secondary during MLF. I don't notice the oak in it. I just thought the body was lacking, don't remember how much you remember of that, I probably gave it to you quite a while ago.

My wife and I are spending the last night at my sisters in meridian MS as we are heading back to our home in Florida. We finally got power Tuesday night so we can return. My wife does not want to go. We have had a great time. Went to the Delta and took some of that in.

Gotta clean my place and friends place who is on an extended rv excursion. Then back to wo4rk at my garage complex which is for my little motorhome, our two fun cars and my winery which is basically an empty room 12 x 24. I will be posting photos when I get it all complete.

My wife and older 2 sons went to a Japanesse Steakhouse last night as a farewell dinner for my eldest's relocation to San Diego. It's a place we've been going to for years and the owner knows us. We told him why we were there and he gave us a free wine tasting of Sake. I never had flavored Sake before but it was excellent. We had 3 different unflavored, a raspberry, Fiji Apple and a prune. My favorite was the raspberry but the Fiji Apple was a real close second.

My wife and I are spending the last night at my sisters in meridian MS as we are heading back to our home in Florida. We finally got power Tuesday night so we can return. My wife does not want to go. We have had a great time. Went to the Delta and took some of that in.

Gotta clean my place and friends place who is on an extended rv excursion. Then back to wo4rk at my garage complex which is for my little motorhome, our two fun cars and my winery which is basically an empty room 12 x 24. I will be posting photos when I get it all complete.

Good luck! Hope it cleans up like a shiny penny.

Oh and I came home from the parade to see my wife had been harvesting in the back yard.
So far we've made apple butter, plum/jalapeno jam, plum sauce, pears in bourbon sauce, roasted tomatoes, and apple pie filling.
Thats not even all of it in the photo. That white bucket I filled twice more with apples and pears.

20170923_131630.jpg

Latest posts

Back