What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually use a chimney, which I think is quicker than the baskets. But I set that over the flame and let the flame go for 3-5 minutes (I think). Then I shut the gas off and in another 10-15 minutes (when the top coals are flaming and/or gray around the edges), I dump the charcoal, let it run with all vents open for a few minutes, clean the grate and cook. Total time from lighting the burner to cooking is probably 25 minutes. So yes, you need a little more time than the 5-10 minutes with gas.

Thanks Jim for the tips.

Eating some shrimp with veggies and a bit of white rice that the wifey just made.

Washing it down with the cheapo Blueberry Lemonade, not bad.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1500135649.989830.jpg

Except for the fact that I use 2 sheets of newspaper instead of gas, I do exactly as Jim does. (Also, I nearly always dump my chimney on top of a sparse layer of unlit coals, sort of like the Minion method, because I find I get a more robust coalbed that way.)

BTW, a few years ago, I took the side burner from an old gas grill and made my own charcoal starter to fit in the bottom of a chimney. It worked fine, but I saw nearly no advantage over using a couple sheets of newspaper, so I stopped using it.

Took my two daughters to VBS this afternoon, wifey stayed home and was in charge of pizza night. She stepped up the the plate, swung, and it was a deep drive to left field...she hit it out of the park! Crust was like a nice fluffy soft pretzel, a little tooth and very well made. Served with a cheap beer and hot peppers on the side. Middle pizza was pepperoni, italian sausage and diced left over meatballs, so pretty much a meat lovers pizza.

7-15-17_pizza.JPG

Protein shake with banana, blueberries, strawberries, almonds, pitted plums and unsweetened almond milk....a whole jar for me....I'm stuffed..!! :)

Didn't take a picture, but used the Small Weber I have at the house in Vt grilled up porterhouse steaks from Stew's. Now sipping on Talisker 10! Life is good

Jerk pork! I loosely followed this recipe, which features loads of habeneros (my sub for hard-to-find Scotch Bonnet). I pounded and accordian-sliced a shoulder of ~6 lbs, then marinated overnight in the scorchingly spicy goodness. Cooked for ~7 hours, and it was lovely: The heat was mellowed by the cooking, and it was tender and delicious, with charred fat and a nice bark. Also made baked potatoes on the grill, and Vidalia onions with butter and thyme. I also took fennel bulb slices, steamed them until tender, slathered some olive oil, then finished over a hot grill, seasoned with coriander and fennel powder. Finally, some yummy garlic scapes, which I cooked over a hot grill, then seasoned with salt and garlic powder (because the heat mellows the garlic taste too much).

None of these pix are mine, but are all very close to what it looked like:

jerk-rib-feature.jpg

garlic_scapes_3_500_751_90.jpg

roasted-fennel.jpg

Jerk pork! I loosely followed this recipe, which features loads of habeneros (my sub for hard-to-find Scotch Bonnet).

Yikes, a pound of Scotch Bonnets (Habeneros)! I hope the cooking mellowed them more than a bit, I'd need a case of beer to eat that pork, and my kids would call me a jerk to boot!

If you have any leftovers you can flash freeze I'd love to try some? Actually I should probably try out that recipe, my oldest daughter does like good jerk pork.

How did you cook the pork for 7 hours, over charcoal in a smoker or in the oven? Could be a project for tomorrow, though the marination time would be reduced.

Last edited:
Yikes, a pound of Scotch Bonnets (Habeneros)! I hope the cooking mellowed them more than a bit, I'd need a case of beer to eat that pork, and my kids would call me a jerk to boot!

If you have any leftovers you can flash freeze I'd love to try some? Actually I should probably try out that recipe, my oldest daughter does like good jerk pork.

How did you cook the pork for 7 hours, over charcoal in a smoker or in the oven? Could be a project for tomorrow, though the marination time would be reduced.

Oh, I only used a half pound. But seriously, the end result was not at all hot.

I cooked on the grill using the Minion method. I started it out at about 300F. In the middle of cooking, I had to run an errand for a couple of hours, and the temp fell a bit low (~200F). I then raised the heat to ~400 for about 2 hours to finish.

I cooked on the grill using the Minion method. I started it out at about 300F. In the middle of cooking, I had to run an errand for a couple of hours, and the temp fell a bit low (~200F). I then raised the heat to ~400 for about 2 hours to finish.

Sounds like how most of my cooking adventures go. I usually have to leave to go get "x" or "y" at the store, only to find that my Weber bullet temp drops 10 or 15 degrees. I have found that the Minion method has helped keep me from opening up the bullet to check on the food as often, which is half the battle. Once I've mastered the lower vent regulation (opening and closing to regulate the smoker temp), I think I can go a few hours without checking on the food other than checking the temperature probe I stick through the top vent of the unit.

I'll have to go see what I can find at the store at "fall of the back of the truck" prices and go from there. I do not plan on leaving the general area of my garage/porch/driveway tomorrow afternoon, so it should be a good smoking day, just gotta find something to cook. Time to stock the fridge with some cold cheap beer before I go to bed.

I think my Saturday is complete, with only 24 minutes to spare.

I did not have to cook last night! :db

Dinner provided in our box at the Hollywood Bowl. Food has always been fantastic and last night was no different. We dined family style off a Seafood Platter for 2 and a Moroccan Platter for 2. The Moroccan Platter came with a nice app plate with lots of hummus, beets, tzatziki, pickled carrots, shaved summer squash and pita chips dusted with coriander and sesame seeds. Main course for the Moroccan plater was a chicken tagine that fell off the bone, served over a bed of saffron couscous with apricots, cilantro and mint. Dessert was an olive oil cake with chocolate and candied citrus zest. The Seafood platter had Maryland crab cakes with old bay aioli, lobster rolls with meyer lemon and soft herbs, spiced steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce, succotash salad, coleslaw, potato salad, strawberry shortcake for dessert!

Wines that we picked up and brought in (yes they allow food and beverage into the Hollywood Bowl as well!) were a Vale do Homem Rose' from the Vinho Verde DOC. Lots of zing, nice mouthfeel, with flavors of strawberry and watermelon. A blend of Espadeiro 50%, Padeiro 50% grapes. This was the star of the evening. Stellar from the get go. We also got a La Crema Rose' of Pinot Noir (worst wine of the night). No acid at all. Flat and flabby on the tongue. Boring. Very disappointing bottle especially for ~$24. The "third bottle" was a Hess "select" North Coast Sauv Blanc which was light and lively with very nice mineral and acid. Plenty of citrus and grassy notes. Not quite as good as the Vinho Verde Rose' but a close second.

Had a fantastic evening music wise with Tony Bennett starting out with the LA Phil being conducted by the legendary Gustavo Dudamel from Venezuela. At intermission we walked right past Lady Gaga all decked out in an evening gown on our way to the bathrooms. We wondered if she might join him onstage and sure enough she did towards the end for 3 songs. Tony B. is quite amazing. Almost 91 years young now and although his voice is not quite as good as it was 30 years ago he can still belt out a tune. His jazz band was fantastic to boot with lots of face time for them as well. Our kids live about 15 mins away from the Bowl and have season tickets so we try and make it to a couple of shows each Summer. The weather was perfect with a cool breeze all night long.

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Last edited:
I swear I had a "it's done" image of this, but I don't. 6 lbs roasting chicken done on the Weber Bullet using apple wood and the Minion method to cook for ~ 2.5 hours. Used some Fajita rub and olive oil to make it stick, otherwise it was allowed to cook as is. Oldest daughter made a wrap in a spinach burrito, with some hot peppers and cheese, she said it was excellent.

Edit: Wifey had some of the chicken today (Munday) with a salad and said the flavor was really good! No images (but it did happen), had pulled pork today, cooked in the crock pot. Was smoked for a few hours after I removed the chicken. Very good, served with mini tater tots and grilled green tomatoes (marinated in olive oil and Emeril's essence spice).

7-16-17_chicken.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back