How to avoid haze when back flavoring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
I bought a 1/2 bushel of peaches. Removed the pit and skinned. Put them in the freezer. I have 18 pounds to use for about 5 gallons.

I plan to use them to back flavor my fresh peach wine.

How can I avoid haziness? Would one use pectic enzyme? If so, how much per gallon

Try cold stabalization.

As with any solvent, temperture effects solability. By chilling wine down, then holding it for an extended period of time at a cold temperature, The haze should percipitate to the bottom of your container. Just simply a matter of racking at that point.

Should pectic enzyme be added when simmering down the fruit?

Unless I'm mistaken, the pectic enzyme is zapped by the heat and would have to be allowed to work on the cool juices.

I am looking for a more definitive answer as I am getting ready to simmer down my fresh strawberries. Pectic enzyme while simmering or after it has cooled down?

Bump for an answer...I may need this info as well. Thanks!

I did a Google search and found it says to add 1 teaspoon per gallon after simmering and the juice has cooled down.

Sammy, I make up my F-paks in advance and keep them in fridg until I am ready. I add PE when cooled but never had a good reason. It always worked so I kept doing it

we use a 1/4 tsp per gallon pectic enzyme with our peach wines added at the start of primary fermentation.
works very well.

also use some bentonite just after racking off the gross lees

I am looking for a more definitive answer as I am getting ready to simmer down my fresh strawberries. Pectic enzyme while simmering or after it has cooled down?

pectin enzymes doesnt work if its too hot. Best temperature is 19-25 celsius.

Latest posts

Back