What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing an abbreviated version of chicken piccata. No lemons.......

wait-what.jpg

Went to the Weis Market while my grains were converting from starches to sugars, found some wings on sale which the kids love and haven't had since before Thanksgiving, so dinner was purchased and eventually cooked. Happy kids are usually good kids.

1-14-17_wings.jpg

Saturday, I made veal shank and Mushroom stew served over gnocci.

- In a cast iron pot, brown 6 veal shanks in butter.
- remove shanks and sautee 1 shallot and 1 small onion.
- add 1/2 pound of shitaki, button, and cremini mushrooms and sautee,
- add 1/4 cup of reconstituted porcini mushrooms (with the liquid).
- return veal shanks to the pot.
- add 3 cups of veal stock
- put pot in oven and cook to 2 hours at 325.

WOW, was this good.

On sunday, I made up some potato salad and fired me a chicken.

Both dishes make great leftovers. Enough to eat off of them for the remainder of the week.

Here is a shot of the veal stew...

IMG_20170114_190337_745.jpg

Last edited:
A first for me. 5lbs turkey breast in the crock pot. So moist and tender. Usually I use the outdoor smoker, but with it being so cold out, this seemed the way to go. Might be the way from now on. :db

Some recent meals.

South Indian cooking has been at the forefront of my mind lately.

Spinach and mushroom curry.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699077.291964.jpg

Here us some jeera rice (cumin rice).

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699135.304396.jpg

Mexican black beans and rice.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699400.028027.jpg

Middle East - How about some hummus?

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699166.546880.jpg

Korean japchae

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699229.916999.jpg

Lentils with vegetables and homemade fermented jalapeño sauce.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699311.410386.jpg

Chinese. Stir fried veggies.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699358.282220.jpg

Vietnamese spring rolls.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699477.605448.jpg

Pizza anyone?

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699447.411776.jpg

Toor dal with chapatis.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1484699499.856192.jpg

Some recent meals.

South Indian cooking has been at the forefront of my mind lately.
Spinach and mushroom curry.
Here us some jeera rice (cumin rice).
Mexican black beans and rice.
Middle East - How about some hummus?
Korean japchae
Lentils with vegetables and homemade fermented jalapeño sauce.
Chinese. Stir fried veggies.
Vietnamese spring rolls.
Pizza anyone?
Toor dal with chapatis.
How do you eat all that food in a day and not blow up like a balloon?

Another Ziti dish. My head is swimming. Some Salsa rather then spaghetti sauce. 1/2 turkey + half seasoned Pork sausage, and extra cheese. :db

Had some left over pulled chicken thighs that we did in the crockpot yesterday, so since it was a make-your-own meal night, I did up a batch of pulled chicken nachos, with some diced peppers, jalapeño cheese and taco sauce, yum!

Edit: looking at the picture, it isn't evident but there is a ton of chicken under all that "stuff". Was very good and very filling. Served with a cheap beer, yearning for a home made kegged beer which isn't quite ready yet.

1-18-17_nachos.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had Jim's camera, because this looked much better in real life than it does here.

DW is away tonight, so I made a "bachelor dinner." I fried up a chuck eye steak; this is a flavorful cut that has a small bit of gristle in the center, therefore depressing the price. My effort was a little underdone. I seared it hard for 3.5 minutes/side, but the inside was mooing. I wouldn''t quite call it Pittsburgh rare (Hey! How yinz doing!?), but you can see it from here. While the steak was resting, made a shallot/mushroom/sherry pan sauce that came out delish.

Also made J. Kenji López-Alt's semi-smashed potatoes. If you haven't had these yet, give 'em a try. These are like the potato version of tostones. You quarter your potatoes, simmer them for 20', then smash them flat (using a mallet, your fist, a cast-iron pan...), then fry them crisp on both sides. Finally, sauteed up some endive with garlic, then braised with yet more cheap sherry.

steak dinner.jpg

I wish I had Jim's camera, because this looked much better in real life than it does here.

Most of the time, my pics are coming from my iPhone. Though I do break out the DSLR from time to time.

I fried up a chuck eye steak; this is a flavorful cut that has a small bit of gristle in the center, therefore depressing the price.

Shhh... Don't let the secret out.

Also made J. Kenji López-Alt's semi-smashed potatoes. If you haven't had these yet, give 'em a try. These are like the potato version of tostones. You quarter your potatoes, simmer them for 20', then smash them flat (using a mallet, your fist, a cast-iron pan...), then fry them crisp on both sides. Finally, sauteed up some endive with garlic, then braised with yet more cheap sherry.

These sound a little like Ree Drummond's 'Crash Hot' potatoes. Yours look awesome.

Best "gourmet burger" I have made to date was a mixture of chuck steak and boneless beef short ribs. Had the butcher custom grind it for me. Your secret is safe with me! :sm

I fried up a chuck eye steak; this is a flavorful cut that has a small bit of gristle in the center, therefore depressing the price.

LOL, Yep. We have taken home a few racks of those as well! We have been working on a container of the Costco smoked pulled pork. That stuff is amazing and so easy as well.

IMG_7030.jpg

You and I cannot deny we love Costco and we know their products....:):)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back