What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tenshen Rose' This was awesome stuff from Cali. No complaints. Loads of strawberry and watermelon. Acid out the wazzoo as well. Bulk buy! LOL

IMG_2418.jpg

:u Last night opened a bottle of my 2014 Petite Syrah. Very good but not like the Chilean.

Tonight, I cracked the last bottle from my first batch of 2012 LR Red Mountain Trio from Kenridge/Cellar Craft. Dayum! :HB In a week, it'll be 5 years old and there is no mistaking that this is a nice, full bodied, Washington wine. Really enjoyable. With pretty much all my red kits; I may enjoy them, but I can definitely tell they are kits. I'd have a hard time distinguishing this one though.

Followed the directions, aside from some additional oak (French) and 3.6g of Tancor Grand Cru tannin about 6 weeks before bottling.

I have one bottle left from the 2nd batch, where I added tannin in primary, changed the yeast to D254, barrel aged for 12 weeks, and added a little more tannin prior to bottling.

Opened the last bottle from batch 2, while the previous one is still in recent memory. As good as batch 1 was, this is closer to a commercial wine. Better mouthfeel and finish on this one. A little less fruit - maybe from the additional tannin just masking it. Sad that these are now gone (or about to be), but considering I made both of them in my first 12 months as a winemaker, I'm pretty happy. Bottom line: kits (and pretty much all wine) greatly benefit from extended aging.

I picked up four of these on a whim from WTSO a few months ago.

2007 Chateau Coutet Barsac 1er Cru Classe.

Never had it before and it's a wake up call. I didn't know much about it, but wow it's has a a very nice deep flavor and oh man is it wOOoOo sweet!

It's very good, but wow was I not expecting it to be sweet like that. I believe this is my first Sémillon (though it's a blend of course)

fKcycfXLHrRraOPRZHtsLvLqNlMY4-SjqzOIVZnN8et-WLuNx7OfJT2v_HKAvJlRXhIfpuUPGutItIQnLqSUZSUoEljxft8uyjABfLQdangMFxdA7f0qQnuCU_4DvFEVCrW4ycUTRcOdVrX2JgkKKRuwAFvmbEfQKA9dmoHQ3QMkitpkKshikhf2xmrbs1Do79bp7xhOsByiTDDUfbt31laBhZj3m8bLb8etV1M9mOBhwrSHZq1rzOtIptdBoch9NHJ7rV-LisSJ9N7HjRDpkMO77q-HrbKrkAKyc7nLjf4Dng9d-mDLN9su4IvoKUg1DcUMVFahHMe7rKhWduaTFGOoBsPgX1R2_971bJUR2dHZVHvR28UGFHZUy8NiUAcs7qt1m5JT8M2dNFYdPVFXUvD8btXRvTbW3pj3GIFrGpoHH_cEaenLNdSAfKCYaCIhPsg_uAzPaDFMwpiB0S1ObHYpuIpk0ehF3tbFLmCEOucvp5_N-u6fLxyWHtdZx9IWXisjfV9mb8GSmJptSO-iw5Ea7bV_y5-zZ8r4zAI88mFL18v3ki1v-KMcQFhYwPgJeY5VdCvcSlXXtUAdg6S5V-IWN7DN4KE-y0oaSSBNKrCzlHKxjQW_Wssoamcs8jMbHY8oba1cslLejwAyXlX46s8I3O1DvhlL4R3IkQx6DXNVl5o=w731-h974-no

I picked up four of these on a whim from WTSO a few months ago.

2007 Chateau Coutet Barsac 1er Cru Classe.

Never had it before and it's a wake up call. I didn't know much about it, but wow it's has a a very nice deep flavor and oh man is it wOOoOo sweet!

It's very good, but wow was I not expecting it to be sweet like that. I believe this is my first Sémillon (though it's a blend of course)

fKcycfXLHrRraOPRZHtsLvLqNlMY4-SjqzOIVZnN8et-WLuNx7OfJT2v_HKAvJlRXhIfpuUPGutItIQnLqSUZSUoEljxft8uyjABfLQdangMFxdA7f0qQnuCU_4DvFEVCrW4ycUTRcOdVrX2JgkKKRuwAFvmbEfQKA9dmoHQ3QMkitpkKshikhf2xmrbs1Do79bp7xhOsByiTDDUfbt31laBhZj3m8bLb8etV1M9mOBhwrSHZq1rzOtIptdBoch9NHJ7rV-LisSJ9N7HjRDpkMO77q-HrbKrkAKyc7nLjf4Dng9d-mDLN9su4IvoKUg1DcUMVFahHMe7rKhWduaTFGOoBsPgX1R2_971bJUR2dHZVHvR28UGFHZUy8NiUAcs7qt1m5JT8M2dNFYdPVFXUvD8btXRvTbW3pj3GIFrGpoHH_cEaenLNdSAfKCYaCIhPsg_uAzPaDFMwpiB0S1ObHYpuIpk0ehF3tbFLmCEOucvp5_N-u6fLxyWHtdZx9IWXisjfV9mb8GSmJptSO-iw5Ea7bV_y5-zZ8r4zAI88mFL18v3ki1v-KMcQFhYwPgJeY5VdCvcSlXXtUAdg6S5V-IWN7DN4KE-y0oaSSBNKrCzlHKxjQW_Wssoamcs8jMbHY8oba1cslLejwAyXlX46s8I3O1DvhlL4R3IkQx6DXNVl5o=w731-h974-no

It actually looks sweet.

Drinking a Dornfelder (Batch 18-b) from September 2015. This is the 3 gallon batch without as much oak as the one I bottled today (Batch 18-a). I like the one I bottled today much better. The oak mutes the overly dark fruit I taste in 18-b (which I just opened a bottle of). It is nice to taste a split batch where the only difference was the time of bottling and the amount of oak. I'm trying to figure out the amount of extra oak, but my notes were obviously taken while I was drinking something, whether beer or wine, and are rather incomplete. I think I posted some of my additions in a thread here so will have to go back and research and update my notes. But for sure, the extra oak has benefited this wine in a big way.

7-29-17_dornfelder-2.JPG

I just opened a bottle of my 3rd wine kit, a now-nearly-4-yr-old CC Showcase Amarone. This is now drinking mighty fine. Mellow, a bit boozy but in balance, some jam and stewed fruits. Not a lot of depth or complexity, but certainly better than a sharp stick in the eye!

I just opened a bottle of my 3rd wine kit, a now-nearly-4-yr-old CC Showcase Amarone. This is now drinking mighty fine. Mellow, a bit boozy but in balance, some jam and stewed fruits. Not a lot of depth or complexity, but certainly better than a sharp stick in the eye!

That's what I'm looking for in the wine I make, slightly better than a sharp stick in the eye. Haha [emoji12]

TW stop yesterday. Picked up a bunch of Vinho Verde for Mrs. IB, this Domaine de Bendel French Rose as well as a 15 Tenet Syrah. The Rose was very good tonight with our crab salad!

IMG_2439.jpg

That's what I'm looking for in the wine I make, slightly better than a sharp stick in the eye. Haha [emoji12]

To be fair to me, my standards are a bit higher than what you report. I said that my wine is "certainly better than a sharp stick in the eye." Much better than "slightly"! :D

Latest posts

Back