removing labels easily

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently tried the 'fillling the bottle up with hot hot water and wait a few minutes then peel off' method. I cleaned up 2 dozen bottles in a 1/2 hour, including filling and wait time. So much saved time! Considering I still have 300 red bottles in the basement to clean, it makes it feel just a bit more do-able.

Didn't work on the white bottles I have though. Will try the oven method next for those.

When I have some glue residue -- particularly from stubborn, commerical glued-on labels -- I pull out my secret weapon -- WD40.

It's unbelievably effective -- spray a little on, the glue breaks down and you can wipe it clean -- no elbow grease required! I try to ensure none gets INSIDE the bottle, but either way I do an extra good job on any bottle cleaned this way when I rinse it out. I also tend to put those bottles in the dishwasher, upright on the tines.

I also realized that it's safer to go ahead and bottle the wine in these less-than-perfect bottles, then use WD40 on them after they're full and corked -- no chance of getting any inside! I will do this on occasion, wipe them clean and relabel. :h

I de labeled 19 bottles yesterday using the oven method
Rinsed with warm water

300 degrees for 10 min
Used a razor blade to peel label off .
All labels seemed to peel off with ease.
Unfortunately the glue did not.
I the slathered on some goo be gone. Then rinsed soap and water.

Took about hour and half, but I was also helping my daughter with a craft project.

The oven worked better then just scrapping with a straight razor blade.

The only issue I had was having 3 bottles crack coming out of the oven. Not sure if I left them in the oven too long or did not wait long enough to rinse with warm water.
But loosing 3 out of 19 is not bad!

I use a much lower temperature, like 200 or 250. Have not broken any.

My experience is that, yes, there is glue left behind, but it is taken care of easily by my "normal" treatment of PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) and water.

Let me tell yea...there's nothing like soaking over night oxy-clean...they float right off...make sure you use the green top..scent free...for the ones that didn't float of...a razor blade without work.

most of mine are floaters after an hour or two in oxi-clean the ones that aren't scrape off easily with a razor blade.

Let me tell yea...there's nothing like soaking over night oxy-clean...they float right off...make sure you use the green top..scent free...for the ones that didn't float of...a razor blade without work.

^ I also use this method and it seems to be the best for me - if there is any residue either citrasol or some type of thinner agent that has to be used out doors because of the flammability.

I now firmly believe that you should try the oven method first, and soak any that that does not work for. The reason is that if you soak first, you screw up the labels; a label that is held on by non-water-soluble glue cannot subsequently be removed by the oven method. On the other hand, heating the labels up first does not seem to affect the solubility of the non-heat-releasing labels.

Soak in hot water in the sink for 10-20 mins with dish soap. Then use a metal scouring pad

2856920.JPG

or
31ZNSEK8V7L.jpg

Another vote for the oven method. Then I use paint thinner to wipe the glue remaining off.
Will

I never heard of the "oven method" but you can bet I'm about to try it!!!! :h

Tried filling the bottles with boiling water from the teakettle yesterday. Fast and simple. I did have a couple of bottles where the label delaminated rather than peel off. I figured those weren't worth the trouble and put em in the recycle. Maybe I'll try a soak in PBR or Oxy. That might be the ticket for the stubborn ones.

But the boiling water and/or oven (take your pick) seems to be an excellent first choice.

I had cases of wine bottles from a wine bar I had to de-label. Months ago, I tried soaking in the bathtub, and that was a lot of work. This time, I used the oven method.

Make sure you turn on your vent to the outside, or you will end up with a lot of glue fumes. Filled up two oven racks with bottles. Waited 10 minutes, and then started peeling off labels. Used an oven mitt to hold the bottle, and a single edge razor to help remove the label. The problem is: A lot of glue left on the bottle. I tried soaking in dish soap and Oxy clean. Oxy Clean worked best. So, what I ended up with is:

Oven at 150 degrees.
Rubbermaid container with warm Oxy Clean solution (sorry, I forgot the ratio of Oxy Clean to water: 1/2 cup to 2 to 3 gallons?).

1) Take one drained bottle out of fast rack (about 10 bottles in the fast rack) and put into cardboard wine box.
2) Take bottle out of oxy clean solution (about 8 bottles soaking)
3) Take bottle from back of the stove, fill with Oxy Clean solution from bottle just removed to sink the bottle
4) Rub glue off and any remaining label with the help of a steel wool pad and single edge razor
5) Rinse inside and outside of bottle with clear water
6) put into Fast Rack to Drain
7) Move bottle from the front of stove to the back of the stove to continue cooling
8) Take a used wine bottle with label on, and clean inside of bottle
9) Put used wine bottle in oven to heat up the label
10) Removed heated up bottle from oven (use oven mitt, about a dozen bottles in the oven)
11) peel off label (single edge razor)
12) put bottle on front of stove to cool

I don't know......
I tried the oven method two days ago, and it didn't work for me AT ALL.
To each his/her own I guess.
I prefer to soak in hot soapy water, than go at it with my "Tools" hehe :h

Hi all

while poking around one the links on WMT I came across the statement below. I personally don't put bottles in the oven, but I'm not saying folks shouldn't. I just wanted to share what that website said in hopes that a more scientific type could either agree, disagree, or withhold judgement. I know, I know, too many choices. Anyway, just in case.....

A tip to our customers recycling bottles to refill with wine at Curds and Wine - please do not put your bottles in the oven to remove the labels, it weakens the glass and the bottles are very likely to shatter when bottling! Soak in water, and we do recommend the labelnator -- available at Curds and Wine!
http://www.curdsandwine.com/products/wine-accessories/labelnator-bottle-blade-for-removing-labels

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back