What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Monday, so time for quick meal options. Nice to have a crock pot around. Pork Loin wrapped in bacon with carrot underneath in chicken stock. Wifey can decide if she's making sandwiches or serving with leftover noodles/smashed taters/rice left in the fridge.

3-27-17_pork-loin.jpg

@johnd - you are simply killing me! I love crawfish. I ate a TON of them when down in the big easy, but up here all I can get is frozen (yuk).

I would walk a mile through ground glass for just one plate of the fresh ones!!!

On Sunday it was SWMBO's choice.

Here is what she chose..

Marha Pörkölt (a Hungarian beef/onion stew) with home made spaetzle,

Uborkasalata (Hungarian cucumber salad)

A nice loaf of garlic bread,

and a chocolate cake to finish it off..

Did I marry well or what??

My wife is a true American mutt. Although she does not descend from the Mayflower, she does have root on the very next boat. Until she met me, she was a true apple pie and hot dog girl.

Marha Pörkölt is a dish that my Grandmother (and mother) made at leat one a month. It is cheap, hearty, and full of flavor. If there was ever an dish that exemplifies Hungarian comfort food, this would be it.

Pairing that with a cool, crisp, creamy, and slightly tart Uborkasalata (cucumber salad) make for the perfect meal on a wet overcast 40 degree day.

Then a nice, light, moist chocolate cake with an ice cold glass of milk to finish things off.

It was delicious! I was in the middle of gloating to my wife on how I am such a great influence when it hit me..

"DAMN!" I said.

"What's wrong" she asked.

"I forgot to take pictures!!" I replied.

Sorry folks. You will just have to take my word for it.

Let me know if you guys want the recipies..

Honing my Chicken Teriyaki skills. Smith's (Kroger) had boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.59 today. WTF are they feeding chickens these days that each breast weighs in at over a pound and look like it came from a turkey instead of a chicken? They are ginormous.........

IMG_2077.jpg

Honing my Chicken Teriyaki skills. Smith's (Kroger) had boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.59 today. WTF are they feeding chickens these days that each breast weighs in at over a pound and look like it came from a turkey instead of a chicken? They are ginormous.........

That's a big boob!

WTF are they feeding chickens these days that each breast weighs in at over a pound and look like it came from a turkey instead of a chicken? They are ginormous.........

Definitely noticed that, too. In the olden days (of course I changed as well as the chickens), I used to eat 2 breasts at a sitting. Now, the wife and I split one, and get two meals out of it!

In fact, a large chicken breast was on my menu this evening, too. I dry-brined it, then sauteed on each side, then sliced it into medallions and smothered it with a tarragon beurre blanc sauce. Sides were risotto made with ho-made chicken stock, and roasted broccoli with garlic, olive oil, and lemon. A glass of Cline Viognier topped this off.

The last few years around the holidays, Wegman's carries these turkeys that are bred to have a larger proportion of white meat. You want to talk about some pecs! These are huge!

Hormones [emoji4][emoji4]

Pairs well with:
246237.jpg

Tonight I made broiled sockeye salmon, smothered in a beurre rouge sauce (shallots, butter and reduced wine, specifically, my WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir), with sides of polenta with blue cheese, and green beans in a very rich mustard cream sauce. Washed it down with (of course) the remaining WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir.

We had a friend over tonight, and I made a "crowd favorite.": Bucatini all'Amatriciana. I used half traditional guanciale, and half ho-made bacon. I also made a salad of hearts of Romaine, then broiled until charred, and bathed in a dressing of lemon juice, macerated shallots, tarragon, and olive oil. :HB

Latest posts

Back