removing labels easily

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have used a pressure washer to remove labels -
I used either 3/4'' or 5/8'' wooden doll rods pounded into the earth and the bottles went over them as I pressurized the labels off of them.

Yes some still needed a little assistance with acetone to remove the adhesive.

You might be able to use an old dishwasher rack ?

As I mentioned before the labels from crush tag are great. They are intended to be moved so they peel off easily.

Overnight+ soak in oxy. Most of the front labels come off easily, the back ones are more of a pain. I use a single edge razor to cut through the foil and use a single device Decora electrical plate http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-1-Gang-Wall-Plate-Light-Almond-R59-80401-00T/100669048 (Just make sure you don't get the nylon plates. They're useless as scrapers.) to scrape off those labels. Goof off and an old dish towel for stubborn residoo-doo. Oh and a green scrubbie pad. I don't like using metal on the bottles.

I was at my LHBS yesterday, picking up some supplies and a glass Carboy, when I stumbled across the Labelnator. Tried it out on some commercial bottles last night. A good soak and then scrape... Worked very well. Needed a little practice on proper use (and a few band aids for the places on my hand where I learned how NOT to hold it). But, if the blade holds up, I'd say get one.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1451331854.257531.jpg

I used to do the oven thing...and it was not the best. Leave a little bit of water in the bottle, very little. Put in microwave for 2-3 mins and labels peel off easily. Use oven mitts as bottles will be hot. Also steams the water inside and sanitizes bottles.

The way I remove labels, preheat over to 250 degrees, then put bottles in oven for 5 minutes.. labels usually come off very easy.

Tried all of the above methods...... Found best way was to just put semi hot tap water in bottle, wait 2 minutes and carefully start peeling. Go slow and label and glue come off easy. Too hot and glue stays on bottle, just right and glue goes with lable. If label starts to tear go to different corner.
I remove label when I rinse bottle. Takes a few minutes is all. If any glue stays use good dish soap and green scrubber. No chem will touch my wine.

My best results have come from a soak in water and then a power washer. I made a simple rack out of scrap trex material to hold the bottles. I can clean a couple cases of bottles in 30 or 40 minutes.

My best results have come from a soak in water and then a power washer. I made a simple rack out of scrap trex material to hold the bottles. I can clean a couple cases of bottles in 30 or 40 minutes.

2 thumbs up-power washers are wery usesfull.Also use mine to clean carboys and poly drums that I use.Not to mention car washing.I also like unsented oxyclean and very hot water overnight.Some glue just doesn't give up-toss out and get more bottles or live with it.

I was at my LHBS yesterday, picking up some supplies and a glass Carboy, when I stumbled across the Labelnator. Tried it out on some commercial bottles last night. A good soak and then scrape... Worked very well. Needed a little practice on proper use (and a few band aids for the places on my hand where I learned how NOT to hold it). But, if the blade holds up, I'd say get one.

View attachment 26640

I purchased one of these a while back, but I haven't yet tried to use it.

I was taught and always thought that you had to soak the bottles and use a razor blade. It always turned into a huge mess by the second bottle and I always dreaded cleaning more than one at a time. I have found that a 30 to 40 seconds with a heat gun melts the glue enough for it to peel off with little to no residue.

I haven't tried soaking yet but have used the heat gun and it does work really well.

I tried this today....cobbled up a "stand" using a vise to hold the heat gun...I could be heating a label while peeling a label. Actually did work very well once I figured out how far away to place the bottle from the heat gun.

I like it now....this summer will suck!

Maybe I am old but scrapping bottles is a pain I try to avoid. 1. Only accept them if clean in side and labels off. 2. Go to a bottle supplier and sometimes they have bottles that are not the correct color. Meaning the glass was made while switching from one color bottle to the next. They will sell these really cheap. Sometimes even give them away as commercial wineries don’t want them and they take up a lot of space in their warehouse.
Jack T.

I just soak them in PBW (since I soak the inside as well, anyway) for 12-48 hours. If the label doesn't just fall off, I use a vinyl remover tool (it's basically a sharp plastic ice scraper) and take off any ooey gooey with goo gone. Thankfully I use a paper label that just falls off in the PBW soak, so I only have to scrape and goo gone on bottles that are "donated" to me when they forget to give back mine!

Ok. My second post. I put this somewhere else then found this thread, so excuse me if this has been discussed before. I have found a very easy way to remove stubborn non-water based glue labels-original or aftermarket. Fill the bottle with nearly boiling water and wait a few minutes. Pull up an edge of the label with a razor blade and pull it slowly with your fingers. The heat softens the glue and the label will peel off cleanly. If any glue remains, i clean it with a small dab of glass stove top cleaner on a blue scotch brite pad.
I do this way too bus use polish powder and steel wool to remove the sticky stuff. For water soluble glue, just soak and wool. Very easy. No chemicals.

I've been fighting the good fight with labels on bottle for just a little over 2 years now. Hot/Warm water soaking wth Oxyclean or Dawn dishwashing liquid seems to be the most efficient and cost effective. BUT as someone else mentioned. Filling the bottles with warm or hot water and keeping the labels dry often make peeling them real easy. And as strange as it sounds - a few of the foil or plastic shine labels actually peel off well without and soap or water.

One thing that would be great would be if anyone has created a list of brands that are bad news for label removal and those that are easy. I know a lot are regional vineyards but still even a list of regional wine makers that normally used easy off labels could be helpful.

I've tried citrus solvents as well found that getting THOSE things off the bottle afterwards presents almost as much hassle as the labels themselves.
Bottom line is that if I run into seriously ugly labels, it's more efficient to take it back to the recycling center. As long as you don't wait until the day before you want to bottle, patience in finding and selecting bottles will work.

Anyone using solvents of any kind should probably think twice about that. Even with long term soaking in dishwater, some solvents will just hang around and potentially ruin your wine not to mention mess with your health. Not worth the trouble.

Latest posts

Back