Newbie learning the ropes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! So SG has been steady at .992 for several days, but it's bubbling a lot, 1 bubble per 1.5 seconds. Should I still move onto adding the stabilizer, Camden and degas?

.992 is pretty dry, good job on the fermentation!! The bubbles are probably just co2 coming out of solution, which can go on for a while, but it won't hurt to leave it be for a few more days, just in case it's still working out the last of the sugar. How about you give it til Saturday evening just to be on the safe side, you're in no hurry.....

Ok so I just completed step 4 and now I need to wait a week undisturbed. Do I take any readings during this time or tuck it away and don't touch it? How often should I degas if at all during this time?

Last edited:
Thanks again for the help! It's interesting that I had bubbles moving around like crazy, now after stabilizing looks like it's as quiet as can be

So I cleared last week, racked into the 2nd carboy this morning and added 3 cups of simple sugar. (3 gallon carboy) I tend to like sweet wines and the SG is now 1.016 after adding the sugar (.994 right before adding the sugar). Does this seem about right since the flavors change overtime? Is there a guide as to what SG after back sweetening is considered generally sweet, semi sweet ect?

Latest posts

Back