RJ Spagnols Spagnols January LE Releases are In!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Tjungu and Carrusel LR kits from RJS are in at FVW. Just got notice they'll begin shipping tomorrow.

Too bad. A day earlier and I might have had mine in time to start it this weekend while we wait out the blizzard.

I too ordered the Carrusel I need to look up yeast to substitute it with. In the original thread both you and Mike mentioned your go to for whites.
I haven't kicked off my Forza yet hopefully early next month. Maybe get this in before that.

Steve

Tjungu and Carrusel LR kits from RJS are in at FVW. Just got notice they'll begin shipping tomorrow.

Too bad. A day earlier and I might have had mine in time to start it this weekend while we wait out the blizzard.

Got the same today, Tjungu on the way.

Funny, you're dreading the snow, and I'm taking off of work Friday to go north to my property to hunt ducks in the snow, at least according to the forecast.

Got the same today, Tjungu on the way.

Funny, you're dreading the snow, and I'm taking off of work Friday to go north to my property to hunt ducks in the snow, at least according to the forecast.

Oh, I'm not dreading the snow. I can't wait! I'm just upset my wine kit won't be here. :D

Mine shipped out yesterday from FVW. I snagged one of the Carrusel's as well. This kit was quite a bit higher than the Passport White LR. Hope it is worth it.

Mine shipped out yesterday from FVW. I snagged one of the Carrusel's as well. This kit was quite a bit higher than the Passport White LR. Hope it is worth it.

Are you swapping out the yeast? I'm going with D-47.

Yea, going with BA11. Love the flavor profile of that yeast for whites. No extra nutrients required, ferments at low temps and ferments without any issues to dry every single time.

Are you swapping out the yeast? I'm going with D-47.

Yea, going with BA11. Love the flavor profile of that yeast for whites. No extra nutrients required, ferments at low temps and ferments without any issues to dry every single time.

Do you ferment cool? I guess you don't have to do anything for that in your winery this time of year.

Yea, I use 75F water (in the juice concentrate) when pitching the yeast then no heat after that and it usually ferments out around ~65 degrees in about 10-14 days.

I thought about that kit too but instead purchased the CC Passport Savignon Blanc Muscat because these whites are 18l compared to the RJS with only 16l of juice.

FedEx is killing it these days! (in a good way)

Two day ground shipping once again from DFW. Nothing going East evidently! Dropped off on the front porch by 9:30AM. Kit comes with ~3oz of oak powder. Supplied yeast is QA23 (2 packs in my box). Nice "Mardi Gras" looking labels as well!

Lalvin QA23 is a specially selected dry active yeast that is used for the fermentation of fresh, fruity white wine. Particularly suitable grape varieties are Muscat, Muller-Thurgau, Gutedel and Savignon Blanc.

Lalvin QA23 shows an advantageous fermentation curve with high final degree of fermentation. Wild yeasts and undesirable bacteria are suppressed. It does not generate undesirable fermentation by-products such as SO2, H2S, acetaldehyde, pyruvate, ketoglutaric acid, volatile acid or ester.

Lalvin QA23 can produce up to 14% alcohol by volume. The practical alcohol yield is approximately 47% of the sugar to be fermented. For each kg of sugar fermented, approx. 546kJ of heat is released.

IMG_0920.jpg

Some of the best white wines I have made to date have come from 16L kits. It's the quality of the starting materials that matters most, not how much water they remove for shipping purposes. This blend just sounded to good to pass up.

I thought about that kit too but instead purchased the CC Passport Savignon Blanc Muscat because these whites are 18l compared to the RJS with only 16l of juice.

Two day ground shipping once again from DFW. Nothing going East evidently! Dropped off on the front porch by 9:30AM. Kit comes with ~3oz of oak powder. Supplied yeast is QA23 (2 packs in my box). Nice "Mardi Gras" looking labels as well!

Lalvin QA23 is a specially selected dry active yeast that is used for the fermentation of fresh, fruity white wine. Particularly suitable grape varieties are Muscat, Muller-Thurgau, Gutedel and Savignon Blanc.

Lalvin QA23 shows an advantageous fermentation curve with high final degree of fermentation. Wild yeasts and undesirable bacteria are suppressed. It does not generate undesirable fermentation by-products such as SO2, H2S, acetaldehyde, pyruvate, ketoglutaric acid, volatile acid or ester.

Lalvin QA23 can produce up to 14% alcohol by volume. The practical alcohol yield is approximately 47% of the sugar to be fermented. For each kg of sugar fermented, approx. 546kJ of heat is released.

Are you planing to use QA23 or sub with BA11?

Not sure just yet, I have time as I won't start these for 5-6 months more than likely. Need to see if I can find others who have used this yeast and what they thought it brought to the party.

I used QA23 on my Selection Viognier kit, my Chilean Pinot Grigio juice bucket, and recently a World Vineyard VR Sauvingnon Blanc kit (for some kegged bubbly).

I haven't used BA11 yet, but the Viognier is one of my favorite whites, though it is only 10 months old, the PG has only 4 bottles left out of a 6 gallon juice bucket, enough said (wife's favorite), and the Sauv Blanc tastes great as a carbonated wine, but is way to young and bulk aging for the part I didn't carbonate. All have a very evident fruit forward flavor.

Don't know if that helps, but at least I tried.

Hmmm looking at the Morewine yeast guide I may just stick with the QA23 as it may be a key ingredient in the flavor profile. Chardonnay is known to be a "terpenic white"

QA23: Usually used in terpenic whites, it enhances the floral, aromatic aspects of a grape. In Chardonnay, floral, white peaches are emphasized with an equal clarity in both aroma and taste. Great as a “top-note” in a blend.

Latest posts

Back