Insurance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemiller59

Junior
Reaction score
We are starting a new winery on our property and we are having trouble getting homeowners and commercial insurance. Does anyone out there have their home and winery on the same property and what company do you use?

Janice

Yes I do. I use an agent in South Dakota. They were able to get a policy for me to cover my buildings and liability. I'll PM you.

as a matter of good prudence, I would try to keep my business assets and personal assets separated as much as possible. any combining makes the personal assets vulnerable to lawsuits, a step you tried to avoid when incorporating your business.should both be on the same property, lease the winery the property it uses from you personal property. since the winery is a entity it can render a contract lease and isolates the leased property from your personal property. your business lawyer should help in this.

We do have it leased to the winery, but the problem is that it is on the same property as our home and our homeowner insurance company doesn't cover
commercial business on the same property.

if you have leased the property to the winery, then is is an entity in itself. separate insurance for the winery should be obtained and separate insurance for the personal property. this will keep the assets separate. your cost for insurance on the commercial poetry will be higher especially for personal injury because of increased exposure. again I suggest you obtain legal advice on this matter. he should also be able to provide more detailed insurance advice as well.

I want to thank all that posted. We were able to get insurance thru our homeowners insurance thru another agent that was able to get us commercial coverage. I just don't understand why our previous agent couldn't do what this agent could. We are switching agents. Janice

Yes, the same company wrote the commercial is the company that we have our homeowners insurance with. Our agent that we have had for a long time couldn't work it out but a different agency was able to get it for us. Don't know why, but we got it and it was half the price that the first agency had.

cool I was going to say you can have your land surveyed into 2 separate properties , meaning you'd have 2 separate deeds on your land then you can keep your home an most of your property safe from law suits because you hold a separate deed to the land your home is on, and another deed for your commercial winery.\
Dawg

Yes, the same company wrote the commercial is the company that we have our homeowners insurance with. Our agent that we have had for a long time couldn't work it out but a different agency was able to get it for us. Don't know why, but we got it and it was half the price that the first agency had.

That would have been a way except that we would have to do it in a 5 acrea plot and the building is within 50 ft of our house. But we don't have to worry about that anymore since we got the insurance from our homeowners insurance company.

ours is in the basement and it rolls right into the house's homeowners insurance

Latest posts

Back