Wine Kitz Whats your experience with Winekitz?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjallen

Junior
Reaction score
New to the home fermenting, I see a lot of online info on the US kits, was wondering what your experience with Wine Kitz? How it compares with the US based kit outfits?
And is Wine Kitz affiliated with any of the US companies?

jjallen:

First, the major kit companies are Canadian.

Wine Kitz is owned by Global Vintners, who also owns Winexpert, Vineco, and Cellar Craft. GV is itself owned by Andrew Peller Ltd, who owns a few wineries. These are Canadian based companies.

RJ Spagnols is Canadian based but owned by Constellation Brands, a large US outfit in the wine business.

Advintage and Paklab are Canadian.

How does Wine Kitz compare? I started in the wine making hobby with Wine Kitz product from a store in Regina SK. I felt that the reults were quite good. However, I haven't made any of their kits in a long time, so can't speak for current quality.

You haven't indicated where you live. Do you plan to make these kits at home or have them made for you in a Ferment on Premises style store (availability differs by province).

Steve

I live in Duncan BC, I am starting with having WineKitz do a few batches first.
But I am learning fast that one can cheaply buy used equipment to brew at home. And many many people are helpful in offering their experiential knowledge. So thinking of trying to make kits from home sooner.
Thanks for the knowledge, I ask in case I wanna seek out another kit while in the states, to see how they match up.
But sound like that is not necessary.

But I am learning fast that one can cheaply buy used equipment to brew at home. And many many people are helpful in offering their experiential knowledge. So thinking of trying to make kits from home sooner.
Thanks for the knowledge, I ask in case I wanna seek out another kit while in the states, to see how they match up.

If you can afford it, but the best version of the particular brand of kit and varietal. In wine kits, you really do "Get what you pay for".

Starting with an FoP is a good idea. It allows you to find out if kit wines are something that you like to drink without the equipment investment.

Unfortunately many FoP stores do not cater to the home winemaker. Hopefully your WK store is not one of those. If you get to the mainland with a bit of free time, try to check out the RJ Spagnols factory store on Annacis Island in Vancouver. They have a big warehouse clearance sale in February (unless they've changed in the last couple of years).

Steve

If you are buying the glass then go ahead but unless the kit you are looking at is new leave the plastic parts at the garage sale. The plastic can have a minor scratch and carry bacteria that will ruin your batch. For the price of a decent kit it is more worth while to by new and then you know what you are getting.

I used WineKitz starting out. Very good luck with them. I have to travel 25 minutes to the Valley for WineKitz or 40 minutes to the city for RJS and locally just started selling Vine Co. And I travel to the city once or twice a month and don't travel to the Valley much any more. So I switched to RJS mostly ( reds ) and Vine CO for whites - mist kits. But I found the WineKitz easy to make and with great results.

cpfan said:
Starting with an FoP is a good idea. It allows you to find out if kit wines are something that you like to drink without the equipment investment.

Unfortunately many FoP stores do not cater to the home winemaker. Hopefully your WK store is not one of those. If you get to the mainland with a bit of free time, try to check out the RJ Spagnols factory store on Annacis Island in Vancouver. They have a big warehouse clearance sale in February (unless they've changed in the last couple of years).

Steve

Will do Steve

Dino466 said:
I used WineKitz starting out. Very good luck with them. I have to travel 25 minutes to the Valley for WineKitz or 40 minutes to the city for RJS and locally just started selling Vine Co. And I travel to the city once or twice a month and don't travel to the Valley much any more. So I switched to RJS mostly ( reds ) and Vine CO for whites - mist kits. But I found the WineKitz easy to make and with great results.

Thanks Dino

robie said:
If you can afford it, but the best version of the particular brand of kit and varietal. In wine kits, you really do "Get what you pay for".

Thanks Robie

rjb222 said:
If you are buying the glass then go ahead but unless the kit you are looking at is new leave the plastic parts at the garage sale. The plastic can have a minor scratch and carry bacteria that will ruin your batch. For the price of a decent kit it is more worth while to by new and then you know what you are getting.

Thanks RJB222

I have had amazing results with Wine Kitz in Charlottetown, PE, which recently won "Franchise Partner of the Year"
Like others have said, you get what you pay for in the kits.

I have tried RJS Grand Cru, and Vineco's Kendridge Classic 10L kits compared to Wine Kitz "Traditional Vintage" 10L in the Valpolicella style. WK had much more body then the other 2 brands. Haven't made any 'bigger' kits besides the Wine Kitz ones except for WinExpert SI Chilean Carmenere (which is fantastic)

Wine Kitz only has about 5 product lines vs RJS 14ish.

Country Mist is the 7.5L fruit wine
Wine Art (7.2L) light body red/white
Traditional Vintage (10L) medium body red/white
Ultimate Estate Reserve (17L) full body red/white
Sommelier Reserve (18L) premium red/white

Wine Kitz is a franchise across Canada that has pros/cons. I feel that the quality of service and product is above the industry standard since all stores follow similar regulations, equipment, etc. The other stores around here are a bit outdated with service and equipment. The downfall is that they are not around in as many places as RJS and WinExpert. They have zero distribution in USA so they are the underdogs but they have great wines.

My $0.02

I have no experience with Wine Kitz yet , but I would like to try them .They have a limited edition Brunello kit in their top of the line product , but with no crushed grape skins . I bought the Kenridge Founder's Brunello for less money and with skins .Does anyone know about Coastal Sunset product's quality ? I am thinking about the limited release Zinfandel/Merlot .

If you get to the mainland with a bit of free time, try to check out the RJ Spagnols factory store on Annacis Island in Vancouver. They have a big warehouse clearance sale in February (unless they've changed in the last couple of years).

Steve

yes they still have their annual sale.I stock up every year. If you're in the lower mainland it's definitely a sale to check out

I have no experience with Wine Kitz yet , but I would like to try them .They have a limited edition Brunello kit in their top of the line product , but with no crushed grape skins . I bought the Kenridge Founder's Brunello for less money and with skins .Does anyone know about Coastal Sunset product's quality ? I am thinking about the limited release Zinfandel/Merlot .

The Coastal Sunset is in their Wine Art 7.2L kits. It is marketed as a holiday wine (end of summer, thanksgiving, Xmas). They are light in body but still a very decent wine. Don't expect 18L kit quality, but they are great for what they are, wine to have with lots of people around when you don't wanna share your top wines.

Latest posts

Back