Glue Sticks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I have been using Avery labels but going to try some parchment paper this evening. I was thinking about attaching them with a glue stick. Will these come off easy when soaking the bottles?

Personally thats what i use and seems to soak right off. Others i have herd use milk and works well.

Personally thats what i use and seems to soak right off. Others i have herd use milk and works well.
I read that here and tried the milk on one label. It worked, but won't this attrack rodents if done on a large scale? I'm sure the smell of dry milk might be appealing to them.

I read that here and tried the milk on one label. It worked, but won't this attrack rodents if done on a large scale? I'm sure the smell of dry milk might be appealing to them.

I have never had this problem.

I used to use self stick labels but found they are a pain remove, much easier using just plain paper & cut them out & apply with a glue stick. As other have said they are much easier to remove, a little warm water & they slide right off. Much cheaper using plain paper also........

Al

Thanks guys, I am going to give it a try tonight. I bottled my New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc Wed. and now its time to label

I swear I learn something new everyday on this forum. I was gunna use self adhesive labels on my wine until I read this. I had no idea how to make labels and I would have had a hard time removing them if I did them the way I was planning. Good thing I didn't buy any yet! Thanks guys!

Glue sticks have worked well for my wine bottles and beer bottles as well. 20 seconds of warm water in the sink washes the labels right off.

There are defintiely pros and cons to both paper and label stock. With label stock you get precise cuts in different shapes and sizes, and they do come in removable adhesive (which we offer on many of our labels). Paper gives you so many more options with all the decorative papers out there with all kinds of textures, but can sometimes bleed the glue through (if it's a thin paper), and you have to cut the labels out and apply the glue by hand.

Noontime said:
There are defintiely pros and cons to both paper and label stock. With label stock you get precise cuts in different shapes and sizes, and they do come in removable adhesive (which we offer on many of our labels). Paper gives you so many more options with all the decorative papers out there with all kinds of textures, but can sometimes bleed the glue through (if it's a thin paper), and you have to cut the labels out and apply the glue by hand.

Where can I find these labels with removable adhesive?

I use glue sticks for labels because they soak off very easy. Stock up at the beginning of the school year to save money.

Another hint, save old magazines. When applying the glue it will get on the surface around the label. Use the magazine as your surface and just turn the page for a clean surface to glue the next one.

Just regular 24 pound or 28pound computer paper, how do you get moisture on your bottles?? The only time mine get wet is when they are empty & I wash off the old label?? Moisture has never been a problem.......

Al

I use glue sticks all the time and they work great! Be careful though, Elmers glue sticks do not work well. They are not as sticky.

What kind of paper do you use that will not be damaged by moisture?

I use laser prints so the ink does not run. But one downfall to using glue sticks, you cannot drop your bottle in a bucket of ice. It will eventually fall off.

My LHBS sells label paper he got from from WB Mason. They stick on like an Avery but they come off really well. I don't use because all of my labels would be the same size. I like to get really creative with my labels.

Not as sticky as which brand?

Most others. Right now I am using a brand called CFI. Many people get Elmers because it is a brand that most stores carry and they.....well they just suck. :D

A couple years ago I recommended glue sticks to a friend and he called me all pissed off because the labels were not sticking down. My first question was, "Are you using Elmers?" and the answer was yes. Since then I make sure to tell others when I recommend glue sticks.

Latest posts

Back