Packlab Wonky kit instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upsidedown

Reaction score
I purchased a 6 week Malbec kit from Costco.
The instructions say to Fine before stabilizing which is contrary to what I am used to doing. I am not even sure what is in the stabilizer package, looks like a combo of Pmeta and sorbate. But here is the thing after 32 days and having the wine completely degassed the instructions call for adding the keiselsol and chitosan and then this mystery stabilizer. should I just through caution to the wind at this point and add my own 1/4 teaspoon of Pmeta and sorbate degas for a couple days and then use the fining?

I purchased a 6 week Malbec kit from Costco.
The instructions say to Fine before stabilizing which is contrary to what I am used to doing. I am not even sure what is in the stabilizer package, looks like a combo of Pmeta and sorbate. But here is the thing after 32 days and having the wine completely degassed the instructions call for adding the keiselsol and chitosan and then this mystery stabilizer. should I just through caution to the wind at this point and add my own 1/4 teaspoon of Pmeta and sorbate degas for a couple days and then use the fining?

Few things:
A. I would call the company and find out exactly what is in the packages so you know what you are dealing with.
B. You don't need to add the sorbate if you are not backsweetening.
C. See A.

The manufacturer is Paklab. I've done at least 20 of their kits. You're right, the stabilizer is a mix. I save them for Skeeter. I also tweak these kits. The 6 week kits are richer in body and taste than the 4 week kits. I would follow your normal procedure. Ferment to dry, degas, add kmeta, then keiselsol and chitosan. Or let time clear it and skip the clearing agents.

The manufacturer is Paklab. I've done at least 20 of their kits. You're right, the stabilizer is a mix. I save them for Skeeter. I also tweak these kits. The 6 week kits are richer in body and taste than the 4 week kits. I would follow your normal procedure. Ferment to dry, degas, add kmeta, then keiselsol and chitosan. Or let time clear it and skip the clearing agents.

Yeah I have always been under the impression that stirring or in my case vacuum degassing should be done AFTER the yeasts have been exterminated with Pmeta top up and let clear naturally or use fine agents

If you have not started the kit yet, see if you can get some grape skins to add to it. I get 7 gal. (+/- 50 lbs) of skins from a local winery every August. I freeze them and use them for kits and juice buckets.

A box of Zante currants can also add some body.

Joe's thread good wines gone bad has lots of tweak ideas.

Back