2017 in the vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I was headed into Mattawa today at 4 pm I saw some lighting about Wanapum Dam. You are corrtect grasses are tall but really dry now. Tonight I put out some lady bugs to keep any pests down, I haven't seen much but figured I'd try to stay on top of it this year.

As I was headed into Mattawa today at 4 pm I saw some lighting about Wanapum Dam. You are corrtect grasses are tall but really dry now. Tonight I put out some lady bugs to keep any pests down, I haven't seen much but figured I'd try to stay on top of it this year.

Our fire is at Rock Island. Burning in dry grass and brush but over 4500 acres. 80 homes on level 2 evacuation.

Anyway, good idea on lady bugs. I'll pick up some more and some lacewings. Leafhoppers are there but not too bad. I have two teenagers lined up to tuck shoots among other work this weekend. We call it our stay in school program:f

Six rows with shoots tucked, 12 to go. It is taking about 30 minutes a row. I know that doing it well now saves a ton of work in netting, which will have to be done in about a month. Some of the shoots are 6+ feet long.

Leafhoppers are there but not too bad, yet. Berry set looks real good. I'm thinking I'll need to drop some fruit before netting.

I did give them 10 hours of water. It has been in the 90s for a few days and will be for the next week. Tendrils still look good but I believe it is good for the grapes to have a good drink after set. WSU research indicates water stress is most beneficial after verasion.

These are Syrah. And yes, I wish I knew how to make the pictures right side up:?

IMG_4462.jpg

Very nice, John.
Here are some of my vines. Traminette is my best grower but was delivered with the best roots. Norton quite the opposite, most of Norton is barely out of the grow tube.
Pic 1 is Traminette and Chardonel. Pic 2 is Vidal Blanc.

IMG_0487.tram.jpg

IMG_0487.vidal.jpg

No worries. On a tablet or phone, just a turn makes them right. And for those on a desktop or laptop, we still "get it". :h

P.S. When do you you generally get berry touch in your region?

Nice @stressbaby. How are you going to train them?

Berry touch, not a term I was familiar with @balatonwine. I'll watch and let you know. We are about normal this year. The last two years were early, with berry set the 3rd week of June.

Berry touch

Some people like to, in detail, monitor the wine making process in their caboy. I do the same in the vineyard. ;)

grape_berries_phenological_stages.png

Some people like to, in detail, monitor the wine making process in their caboy. I do the same in the vineyard. ;)]

I like that. I'm still trying to get into the vineyard once a day, life keeps intervening. :rdo

I do like you week in the vineyard on your website. It is interesting to compare where you are versus mine. We are just about the same latitude.

It is interesting to compare where you are versus mine. We are just about the same latitude.

I agree.

For what it is worth, everything here is about a week earlier than "normal". For example, varaison already started on some vines (the Turán / Agria) this week; that "normally" wouldn't happen until mid July.

My, my busy these days. I have "berry touch" on most, some reds are lagging. I watered again today. The lower vineyard was looking a bit stressed- tendrils terminat ed and some droop in the pistoles. Not a good time to water stress with the berries swelling.

The leafhoppers have taken hold in the more vigorous vines. I sprayed 5 rows with Pyritiens before I ran out. Only place open had Beem oil, so I bought it. Sprayed 10 more rows Friday. Today both seem to have been equally. Effective, so I finished out spraying with the Naeem oil. Green lacewings eggs on order!

Most vines are looking great, particularly the Syrah. Both cabs are being particularly vigorous while the Sangiovese which I normally have to hedge, is slower.

Overall health looks great, and the stressed vines in the lower vineyard are 4 years this year. I'm guessing their roots are not as deep. We have been in the 90s most of the last two weeks.

Still need to tuck shoots and sucker a few rows, then I need to look at leaf pulling. Listened to a podcast today while spraying that argued if you don't do you canopy management by verasion +10-15 days, you are wasting your time.

I just hope my schedule allows me to net

IMG_4500.jpg

Things here in WV are going well. I had a brief scare with PM and i think ive made my way through that.

The Ives and Chambourcin have started verasion and are looking good.

This week im netting and putting in the electric to keep the coons away!

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

Things here in WV are going well. I had a brief scare with PM and i think ive made my way through that.

The Ives and Chambourcin have started verasion and are looking good.

This week im netting and putting in the electric to keep the coons away!

Glad I don't have to worry about coons, birds are bad enough:gb

I put out 10000 green lacewings eggs on Friday night after sundown. Checking on them yesterday morning, I found 2 right off the bat. Yes that blurry thing is one. Of course this other guy seems to hang out on the deck near the vineyard. I hope he didn't get the other 9,998.

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

Latest posts

Back