Cheap Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okree

Reaction score
I just picked up a bottle of Five Oaks Shiraz for $3.33. I'd seen it in the local Rite Aid for the past few years and my curiosity finally got the best of me. For that price, I expected crap.

I was wrong ... it's actually pretty good. Not world class by any stretch, but a solid everyday table wine nonetheless. Anyone have any other surprise finds for under $8.

Ever been to a Trader Joe's?

Tons of wine for less than $10 a bottle including 2 Buck Chuck (3 Buck Chuck in most states).

I have never had chuck but I really enjoy winking owl from Aldi's. You may not have an aldi's in Huntsville but you may wish to check it out. winking owl is $2.97 a bottle! I like it much more than Five Oak

Wal-Mart's Oak Leaf line of reds and whites are okay for the non-discriminating palate, and under $3. Cabernet, Shiraz, Merlot - they are reasonable for topping up a low-end kit.

CK Mondavi is rather good and I agree.

Interesting history of CK Mondavi..

In the Mondavi family, you had the father, with two sons... Robert (who most will know) and Peter. They mostly grew grapes to supply to other wineries, and raised cattle.

When Robert was rather young, he approached mom and dad to purchase the Charles Krug winery, one (if not THE) oldest wineries in Nappa. The father purchased the Charles Krug winery, and he decided to have both his sons run it.

Robert and Peter tried to follow the Gallo brothers model. Robert was in charge of sales and Peter was in charge of production. The Gallo brothers had a long standing agreement that Ernest would produce as much wine as Julio could sell, and Julio would sell as much wine as Ernest could produce. Although this worked well for the Gallos, this was doomed to failure for the Mondavis.

In no time at all, intense resentment developed between the Mondavi brothers. Robert was out on trips, entertaining potential clients on a winery expense account, while Peter was stuck in the winery doing the grunt work. To make things worse, as the older brother, Robert was always micro-managing Peter's production end of things, keeping Peter on the tightest budget possible. This went on for a number of years until, one day, it all came to a head.

The way the story goes, Robert and his wife were invited to the White house to attend a state dinner thrown by the President. Since Robert lived rather cheaply, his wife really had nothing to wear to such a formal affair. As a result, Robert used expense account money to purchase a fur coat for his wife.

Robert's intent was that the money for the fur coat was a loan to be paid back out of his own pocket. Unfortunately, being the older brother, he never told Peter anything about it.

When Peter found out, Peter exploded. He called Robert a thief and claimed that Robert was stealing money from the family business. Robert took great offense to this attack on his character and a fistfight broke out right in the old CK winery. Robert won the fight with his brother, but lost the next fight. The one with the family.

The aftermath was rather surprising. The family sided with Peter. They demanded that the money be paid back immediately and also gave Peter controlling interest in CK Mondavi. As a result, Robert decided to leave CK, sell off all his stake in the company, and start the Modavi winery. The rift between Robert and the rest of his family was so complete, that Robert even changed the way that his last name was pronounced. The "a" in Mond-a-vi went from a hard "A" (as in "day") to a soft "AH" sound that most of us are familiar with.

Peter did not do well at CK. The winery tanked and they sold off the Charles Krug winery. Peter then started another winery, but wanted to build on the Charles Krug brand by naming the new winery "CK Mondavi".

OK, SO WAY MORE THEN ANYBODY WANTED TO KNOW....

To me, it is very interesting since I have had the same type of falling out with my own family. I have not seen or spoke to them in almost 7 years.

johnT.

Bart, I too was buying Oak Leaf wines from Wallmart. At the time new empty wine bottles delivered to my door were $2.13 ea. Oak Leaf was $2.77 a bottle [full of wine, though CHEAP wine] . It was a no brainer, we were drinking 64 cent wine. Did use it to top off too. Now I have 600+ bottles of my wine I no longer need Oak Leaf, good thing too, they went to light weight "eco' bottles. Roy

Ever been to a Trader Joe's?

Tons of wine for less than $10 a bottle including 2 Buck Chuck (3 Buck Chuck in most states).

+1 for TJs. I've started buying a case of their "Old Moon" every year. Pretty darn good $5+/- wine!

Now that is funny! I was hoping you didn't have to drink 600 bottles of Oak Leaf.....

Bart, I too was buying Oak Leaf wines from Wallmart. At the time new empty wine bottles delivered to my door were $2.13 ea. Oak Leaf was $2.77 a bottle [full of wine, though CHEAP wine] . It was a no brainer, we were drinking 64 cent wine. Did use it to top off too. Now I have 600+ bottles of my wine I no longer need Oak Leaf, good thing too, they went to light weight "eco' bottles. Roy

I tried a bottle or three of Barefoot CS a couple of years ago. Very rough. For the heck of it, I put a coupla bottles in the rack and forgot about them for a coupla years. Tried one a few weeks and was amazed how much it smoothed out - not bad at all.

Lately I've been on a [yellow tail] kick. The Shiraz is tasty and the Shiraz/Cab is even better. I picked an assorted case an added to the rack. I plan to check again at the 1 and 2 year points to see what happens.

I don't expect them to ever be $30+ wine, but very good for that 1/2 bottle every afternoon on the porch. Not that I've noticed $20+ worth of diff between a <$10 and a >$30 anyway. Maybe I just don't swish and gargle long enough to really appreciate the difference! ;-)

The thing about TJ's is that is you find a wine you really like you better go back and buy a case immediately. Last year they had a TJ's Reserve Syrah from Paso Robles. It was $10.99 a bottle. This was EASILY a $25-30 bottle of Syrah. I bought a couple (must say I really liked the bottle at first sight, really massive) After trying one and seeing it was amazing I headed back the next time we were in Santa fe (a few weeks later) Bought half a case. Looked again a few months later to get another half a case and they were ALL GONE. Looked down in ABQ a month later, ALL GONE. Also wine that they do carry from year to year are not always as good the next year. It seems all to often that people find one that is an excellent buy and it gets snapped up. Then the next time around the wine has been bumped up in production amount but the quality went down the tubes as they say.

In all the years (both of them) I've bought "Old Moon" it's been very consistent!!

There is a lot of "Old Moon" out there for sure. I used some myself for top up wine every once in a while. My favorite place to look up reviews and see what others are saying about wines that are found only at TJ's is Jason's Wine Blog

johnt - Very interesting article, enjoyed reading it until the end. So sorry about the falling-out with your family. I have witnessed that in my own family.
Semper Fi

I've had a couple of less expensive wines that were OK. They were The Naked Grape - Pinot Grigio and Barefoot - Sauginon Blanc. I was using them to top up my first batch of wine and if I remember correctly the Barefoot was better. I also needed the bottles ;)

Yep, I still buy those wines. Oak Leaf is a Wal-Mart label. They make a Sweet Red that is a good top-off wine at a cheap price, mild flavored so will not alter your like wine in the carboy, plus all the usuals: cabs, chardonnay, merlot, zinfandel, etc. The zin has too much SO2 in it for my taste, but the others are drinkable and not awful.

Produced by THE WINE GROUP of Ripon, CA, which also makes several other brands like Bay Bridge, which is sold in groceries. Really all the same wine, I think, just house labeled for different stores. It's a fine inexpensive everyday wine, and the 'eco' bottles are just as good to refill as the heavier ones. I have reused and recorked mine many times.

Of late I have bought Rex Goliath at $5.99 and been pleased. They even offer a moscato, which is perfectly acceptable except it is not quite as intense as the more expensive brands. The Rex Goliath Chardonnay is good, and their cab is good, also. I have not tried the merlot yet.

There's a whole bunch of inexpensive wines that have been giving the high-priced stuff a run in the past few years. Lucky Duck imports wine from all over the world, for one, and you can get that at WM too.

Disclaimer: While I can tell the differences, I tend to be accepting of all wines, so if you are the picky type then your mileage may vary.

I have never had chuck but I really enjoy winking owl from Aldi's. You may not have an aldi's in Huntsville but you may wish to check it out. winking owl is $2.97 a bottle! I like it much more than Five Oak

We do have two brand new ALDI's in Huntsville, but I don't know if they sell wine or not. Haven't been in, though I've been in the stores up North.

John did you get that from the House of Mondavi? I just started reading it last night. Good read so far.

Latest posts

Back