Packlab Vino Italiano Tuscany Rosso Magnifico

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funjoh

Reaction score
My third kit and I want to learn from this by tweaking. I added 4 quarts Welchs grape juice, 24 ounces organic raisins and 3 ounces Hungarian medium roast oak to the primary. My expectation is to get a reasonable red table wine. Thoughts?

You are on the right track by tweaking Pak-lab kits. I do some Pak-labs kits for fast drinkers to give to family to keep them away from the good stuff. The one tweak that works the best are Tannins. I add Ft Rouge during fermentation and add finishing tannins before bottling. This tweak makes a world of difference.

Even with these tweaks don't expect a great wine, you will get a light bodied wine.

Pak-labs kits don't have many dissolved solids. hence the light body.

Added Tannin

Big Al, I added 1 tsp tannin powder to the primary fermentation this morning.

Thanks,

John

Which tannin?
You will need more than that.
Joe's wine uses like 4 TBL of the inexpensive tannins, if you use the that check Joe's thread.

I tried his method but found I didn't like the inexpensive tannins and went with the better quality one's.

It is LD Carlson powder. They say to use 1/3 tsp for red. I will add more when I stir in the morning. Thanks again.

tuscan

i.ve just finish this kit and it is spot on with the tweaks, tannins are tannins in my book the outcome is the same the process is the difference..:spm

1 vino italiano super tuscan (2) - Copy.jpg

9 add simple syrup for chapatilization.jpg

10 add 1 cup of raisins.jpg

IMG_20140922_125608843 - Copy.jpg

13 take SG reading.jpg

IMG_20140918_172558890_HDR (2).jpg

18 added to carboy.jpg

IMG_20140918_173628081.jpg

IMG_20140918_175911354.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Joe...I brought the tannin up to 2 tsp for the 6 gallons and I added 3 cups of simple syrup. Heck why not...I added 1 tsp of vanilla. Time will tell what I have done to this poor kit! I felt the need to speed up my learning curve...

Primary Fermentation Update

This is progressing into secondary fermentation. The OSG=1.092 and after primary the SG=.990. The taste has hints of fruit, slightly bitter and nice alcohol flavor. I am holding out hope for this tweaked low end kit. I am leaving the oak in the secondary.

tuscan kit

stay the course..:HB..it will all work out in the end ,if it hasn't at this point then that means it's not the yet the end .:i

Disaster Struck

I went into the production room and found my carboy leaking. I should have quickly racked it, instead I touched it. POW! Thankfully it was in production so the wine just ran down the drain.

My aging cellar has no drain so I am switching to Better Bottles....comments?

I ordered WE Eclipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir as a replacement. My experiment batch will come another time. :slp

20141011_092020_Android.jpg

Latest posts

Back