What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always fun reading about Paul's dreams about cooking such wonderful meals for people ..... :)

Couple quick snaps. Did end up making the Pork Loin Braciole and had a Turkey that was still in the freezer from Xmas so why not put some meat on the BBQ right? If your gonna fire it up make it count. Turkey was brined for 18 hours in salt/sugar and then basted with a mixture of Creole seasoning and butter..... :hug

The Pork Loin was marinated in a bag for 18 hours had to cut it into two pieces to get it into a gallon storage bag but seemed to work well. Fixing to pull the Turkey to let it rest. Pork loin is tented and just waiting for some company!

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

The smoked turkey was probably the best turkey we have cooked bar none. The brining process is quite easy and the outcome to die for good. Smoked and juicy wth amazing flavor. Cooked it at ~250 for 6 hours instead of 225 for 7 hours. Turkey was pulled at 165F. Pork was excellent as well but seemed a little dry in comparison to the turkey which was just so moist. Pork was pulled at 145F. The marinade was fabulous giving it a wonderful citrus tang with lots of garlic. Plenty of leftovers for the week to come which will be nice as our oldest daughter has some time off between editing gigs and is out staying with us for the upcoming week.

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

@ibglowin on Turkey I've always used a dry rub and a water pan underneath you've got my interest on the brine, care to share it? Thanks.
TXWineDuo

I used a water pan underneath and the turkey was in a throw away pan on top. Bird was off the pan using some carrots to keep it out of the drippings. I used this recipe for the brine and scaled it up to what I needed to keep the bird covered (2G). I used a Home Depot orange bucket and put the bird into two throwaway oven cooking bags, bags and bird into the brine, held inplace by some twine.

My Easter dinner . . .

Started with table side guacamole (pic after it was mostly devoured)

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492529911.896569.jpg

Crudités

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492529931.867806.jpg

Mushrooms and roasted garlic

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530002.744699.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530011.491594.jpg

I followed that up with a Thai green papaya salad

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530042.565384.jpg

And crispy polenta fries with a tofu roasted garlic aioli

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530079.503527.jpg

Then came dinner.

Meat? Flavored with a Korean bulgogi marinade

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530112.560948.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530128.131982.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530140.433544.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530149.298640.jpg

Lentil and oat stuffed cabbage rolls

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530194.243394.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530208.012300.jpg

And rose potatoes with a rosemary olive oil

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530243.651185.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530253.321381.jpg

Overall it was delicious.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530275.304349.jpg

I didn't have time to take pictures of the wines during the meal except what we finished with

ImageUploadedByWine Making1492530329.727700.jpg

Last edited:
We had our Easter feast yesterday (Saturday), due to conflicting schedules of our guests. We had a total of 5 at dinner, and so, with the able assistance of my wife's girlfriend, I decided to go pretty much all out.

Oh, boy! Leftover lamb and ~chimichurri/pesto/relish for luncheon! :db

lamb_leftovers.jpg

Tomorrow is Mrs. Sour Grapes's and my 20th wedding anniversary, so we went out tonight to celebrate. We went to a casual but upscale tapas restaurant for a feast. We put ourselves at the chef's discretion, and enjoyed small plates of: arugula salad with blue cheese, pistachios, and prosciutto; mushroom/black bean/cheese tostada; smoked pork cavatelli with tomato cream sauce; seared beef tenderloins with chimichurri sauce served on smashed plantains; and a spinach and mushroom tart. Delish, and I am stuffed. (Report on wine found in another thread!)

Tomorrow is Mrs. Sour Grapes's and my 20th wedding anniversary, so we went out tonight to celebrate. We went to a casual but upscale tapas restaurant for a feast. We put ourselves at the chef's discretion, and enjoyed small plates of: arugula salad with blue cheese, pistachios, and prosciutto; mushroom/black bean/cheese tostada; smoked pork cavatelli with tomato cream sauce; seared beef tenderloins with chimichurri sauce served on smashed plantains; and a spinach and mushroom tart. Delish, and I am stuffed. (Report on wine found in another thread!)

Congratulations Paul!

Mrs. ceeaton and I (ceeaton) have our 20th in the middle of May (gotta look up the date, think it is the 18th, but it might be the 17th). Chances are we'll end up in a dive bar somewhere eating big burgers and splitting a pitcher or three of cheap beer, then calling our 18 yr old son to come pick us up and drive us home (which would be quite entertaining to him).

Congratulations Paul!

Mrs. ceeaton and I (ceeaton) have our 20th in the middle of May (gotta look up the date, think it is the 18th, but it might be the 17th). Chances are we'll end up in a dive bar somewhere eating big burgers and splitting a pitcher or three of cheap beer, then calling our 18 yr old son to come pick us up and drive us home (which would be quite entertaining to him).

Congrats on the upcoming!

To avoid any embarrassment, we planned ahead and took the bus! :dg

Congrats on the upcoming!

To avoid any embarrassment, we planned ahead and took the bus! :dg

Actually, might do it to let him know that it is quite acceptable and even preferable to ask for a ride after imbibing. You know, teaching kids, though at 18 he ain't no kid anymore (plus he's taller than I am) (and I know that is a double negative, but I'm from aimless country, ya know) (and the correct usage around these parts is "he ain't none kid no more, uins knowsez").

Last edited:
One Pan Mediterranean Pork Risotto!

Or how to use up what you have in the fridge on a Thursday night!

Had lots of pork loin left over from the weekend so took 3 nice slices of that, some onion, shiitake shrooms I found on closeout today, garlic, bacon, and then worked it all together and added some chicken broth, white wine, fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes and topped with parmesan. Tuned out pretty darn good for winging it off script but then its hard to go wrong with SMOKED meats! :db

IMG_2125.jpg

Anybody else feel this way at times? :)

15250773_394776477580335_520384284995457090_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back