Beginning a Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhat depends on what you want to do. Like Grapeman posted, you need a license from the TTB first, but if you are doing a vineyard and want to do 85% Missouri product, you can choose to go by state regulations. I'm not exactly sure what all is involved down that road, but it is very different. See if you are doing that, you are state regulated vs federal regulated. Either way you need fed and state licenses, then if you want to have a tasting room (not just go through some distributor, which is a license again if you want to do that yourself) you will need a retail liqour license from the state too and you will need to have your premise bonded by an insurance company. Then there is county licenses and city (if applicable). If you want to look at what is needed, you can always stop by here.... :b

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16767

Yeah - not sure if I was going to run a vineyard to start off - might be nice to eventually get a nice vineyard going - there are several vineyards in the area that have good grapes and a lot of them.

Yes, Doug, I would be interested in his contact information.

Does anyone have any info. on starting a winery in PA and what would be needed?

Price of land has gone up in Iowa, however you could start one for not that much money. Thats if you grow your own grapes, if not 50.00 a year and your there

For the license, and then a few hundred thousand for a vineyard and winery if you watch your pennies.

Yeah, the vineyard is what gets expensive when you get into it. We buy all our fruit, so we don't have to have the land or the time and money to tend to it.

If you go the vineyard route, count on spending $10,000 per acre for vines and trellising. Additional $ for equipment and sprays. Then 3-4 years before first harvest.

Fred

Probably a hard question to answer but:

What would you say the bare minimum # of producing vines one would have to have to make it worth while to start a commercial winery?

What would you say the bare minimum # of producing vines one would have to have to make it worth while to start a commercial winery?

Depends on how high prices are for everything, but I would think 8000+ bottles a year is about the minimum for a profit. It also depends alot on price per bottle. I'm quoting a $12-14 dollar a bottle average, so about $90,000+ per year in sales.

It is very hard to figure that. The best way is with an in depth business plan to figure out costs, income and available investment. When you have the number of bottles needed for breakeven or more, then you can have a rough idea of the number of needed vines. In general figure 2-5 bottles per vine, depending again on a multitude of variables.

Any of the pa guys find out what kind of hoops you have to jump threw to start a winery?

I,ve just read this post from beginning to end and I am convinced that no one is going to get me to go commercial, I am just enjoying my hobby, second child hood, to much. So far just fruit wines under my belt but am seriously considering some grape wines this fall, A friend in eastern Wa has a vineyard with two different grapes, she will have 1st commercial crop this fall and we would like to make some wines for our own use. I sure wish you all the best. Deezil it has been fun watching your posts. I have to share this wine hobby with this hobby also:fsh

Anyone know a phone number where I can actually talk to a person at the TTB to check the status of my application? If you do PM me. I started with the paper forms and probably should have done online instead but it's too late now. Every time I call I follow the operators instructions. I get to "Press 1 to check on the status of your application" I press the number and it says leave your name and number to get an application. :po That's not what I'm looking for! I leave the message anyway and they haven't called me back.

Any help you guys/gals can give would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How long ago did you submit it? If not 5-6 weeks, just be patient. It takes that long for them to get to you. After that amount of time, call them again and you will get a person and they will act like they just got to you, and want to set up a phone interview right away to process it.

How long ago did you submit it? If not 5-6 weeks, just be patient. It takes that long for them to get to you. After that amount of time, call them again and you will get a person and they will act like they just got to you, and want to set up a phone interview right away to process it.

It's been at least 2 months and I've called twice. Any idea what number I should call?
Thanks for the help. I'm really itching to get started.

I don't have any magic number. Just keep calling. Try and say operator when the phone answers. Sometimes you say agent or something similar, but most systems recognize when you are getting P'eed off and give you a real person.

I don't have any magic number. Just keep calling. Try and say operator when the phone answers. Sometimes you say agent or something similar, but most systems recognize when you are getting P'eed off and give you a real person.

Yeah that is like dialing 0 - IVR can't figure out what you are doing - so a real person gets on...

Latest posts

Back