What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the varsity soccer team at home last night, so for 'pasta party' I ordered 3 party pizzas (around 40 small cuts each).
Were these boys hungry, they eat a lot, or what.... :)

That truck must have hit a bump again!!!!

B_1028441_b472f4e97bbe.jpg

Beef Loin, Bone-In USDA CHOICE BEEF ShopRite Sale Price: $7.99 lb. -$3.22 lb. Limit 5-lbs.

Ever see a man eat his way through a 4.9999999 pound steak???

That truck must have hit a bump again!!!!

B_1028441_b472f4e97bbe.jpg

Beef Loin, Bone-In USDA CHOICE BEEF ShopRite Sale Price: $7.99 lb. -$3.22 lb. Limit 5-lbs.

Ever see a man eat his way through a 4.9999999 pound steak???

The sale is also at our local shop rite...:b

@JohnT: that salmon price is pretty good too, if that's wild caught. Don't pass that one up.

Yep, that is the regular price. It is not trimmed in any way so lots of fat to lop off but it is still a better deal IMHO than the Costco "choice" brisket (which is trimmed and only the flat portion) for $5.99.

I picked one of the Prime ones a couple weeks back when we made a run. Tossed into the freezer.

They had Prime grade whole brisket at Costco last week for $2.98/lb.

The wife is away, so I made things that I like that she doesn't. Warning: No pictures, as I will explain. I made seared scallops, where the idea is to hit them hard in butter in a HOT skillet, then make a pan sauce (sherry, white wine, garlic, & thyme). This was pretty good, but I didn't let my pan sauce reduce enough, so it was a bit watery. I also made broiled eggplant slices, glazed with soy/sesame sauce. I was feeling very lazy, so my starch was broiled garlic bread. I washed this down with WE Eclipse Pinot Gris.

Why no pictures? Because everything was shades of beige. Ecru. Tan. Taupe. Blonde on blonde. Ivory. Buff. It was fairly tasty, but esthetically, it was very unattractive!

What the Hell. Your only 59 once right?

Marinated Tritip on the Weber along with some Jalapeño poppers wrapped in bacon no less and baked potatoes with all the fixings. Wedge salad with blu cheese dressing for a veggie! Used leftover charcoal and pecan wood from last night. The wine....... you will have to wait for! LOL

IMG_2679.jpg

Tonight's offering was grass-fed beef short ribs (on sale at a good price). I seared them then started cooking 'em in the sous vide machine ~2 days ago. Perfect for a rainy Sunday. Served up with a sauce of shallots, reduced Zin, and reduced juices from the beef, and accompanied by creamy polenta with Gorgonzola. For a veggie, I sauteed up some 'shrooms, a ton of garlic, and spinach, with a bit of sherry to braise it at the end. I also heated a "take-and-bake" rosemary ciabatta loaf, and it was all very enjoyable. The wine was a Cline Old Vine Zin (purchased after our recent discussion about the price pressure on Lodi OVZ growers).

DSCN0721.jpg

Got to the man in the trench coat in time. The sale on steak was still going on. I ended up going for a porterhouse.

Cooked my favorite way.

I brought the steak to room temperature, then seasoned both sides with salt, pepper, and a few drops of worchestershire sauce. I then put 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil into a hot pan, then added a sprig of rosemary, a sprig of thyme and 1 large, sliced clove of garlic.

I kept spooning the oil and butter (infused with garlic and herbs) over the steak for 2 minutes per side, then finished the steak off for 8 minutes in the oven.

Beautiful bark! IMHO, the perfect cook! all I needed was a nice baked potato! Washed it down with a 2014 barrel reserve cab.

IMG_20171021_182326174[1].jpg

IMG_20171021_183932368[1].jpg

IMG_20171021_184200759[1].jpg

We had a lovely dinner tonight. I sauteed up some red bok choy or totsoi (not sure which) with shallots, sherry, and herbes de Provence. Normally, I would go with an Asian taste profile with those greens, but I wanted it to match the rest of the meal. We had fantastic butternut squash fritters: You grate the squash, mix with herbs, flour, and eggs, and then fry in oil. Finally, I made sole meunière, which came out really nicely. The fillets (wild-caught Pacific sole) were fresh and delicate, and they fried up to a nice crisp outside/moist inside. Seasoned with ground fennel/salt/pepper, and then covered with butter/lemon/sherry/parsley pan sauce.

Don't worry about the skimpy portions on my plate -- there were seconds on the way!

DSCN0724.jpg

Tonight, I once again happened on those lamb "shoulder chops" that are basically rib chops. You look at that first picture and tell me if you see "rib" or "shoulder"? BTW, those are in my new aluminum frying pan. Heretofore, I essentially only used cast iron or carbon steel cookware, but Al is more or less the standard cookware in commercial kitchens. I decided to buy one to see how I liked it; I am still evaluating it, but obvious pros are light weight, good thermal conductivity, and good searing capability. Obvious cons are sticking and staining. We'll see.

Anyway, back to the meal: In addition to the pan-fried lamb chops (coriander, garlic, fennel), I made deep-fried potato wedges (dusted with rosemary and salt). Finally, we had sauteed mustard greens (shallots, crushed red pepper, marjoram) braised in ho-made chicken stock and "brightened" with sherry vinegar. All was more than passable, and was washed down with my 3-yr-old WE SI Amarone di Beppe (tweakfest a la Joeswine).

DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0727.jpg

Latest posts

Back