What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For about $7.45 total, you cannot go wrong with this wine, actually it is amazing for that price.

I just love its mineral taste and aroma, some pear and lemon when washing it down, just good..!!

IMG_1508709031.755212.jpg

Last edited:
My special 59 BD wine. 2009 Figgin's Bordeaux blend. Mrs IB took one sip and immediately said ohhhhhh thats good! Should be....... 92pts WS and it was stellar. Paired perfectly with dinner for sure.

IMG_2680.jpg

Speaking of Malbecs.... I have a 3-yr-old CC Showcase Argentinian Malbec open. It is quite nice! Better than most low-end commercial Malbecs, IMHO.

Ive enjoyed many Malbecs from Argentina and Chile. I know it's waaaay early to start talking spring, but I was planning on laying low with just 1 varietal. And I'm thinking a filled carboy from Chilean Malbec grapes is in my future.

Ive enjoyed many Malbecs from Argentina and Chile. I know it's waaaay early to start talking spring, but I was planning on laying low with just 1 varietal. And I'm thinking a filled carboy from Chilean Malbec grapes is in my future.

Hmmmm, if I have a carboy empty in the spring.... (Your signature line notwithstanding.)

the same thing that's in my glass every night....either a cabernet, or speedway imperial stout..

those are the only things I drink at night...I will drink a variety of things during the day if the occasion calls for it...but not at night!

the bench

Someone recently posted they would like to have a bottle of wine with you. I couldn't agree more.

You, sir, are too kind! I would gladly reciprocate. :b

Someone recently posted they would like to have a bottle of wine with you. I couldn't agree ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶.

Here, I fixed this one for you, too! :D

Last edited:
2015 Kirkland Signature Gigondas. Absolutely enjoyable, quaffable and a worthy GSM wine from a region that normally cost 2-3X the $14.99 I paid at Costco. Supposedly 85% Grenache but I and getting more like 85% Syrah on the nose and mouth. Went well with a couple of curbside delivery Carrabba's pizza's to go! :db

1077835.jpg

As I have reported here before, I had a practice of aging low-end wines to see if they improved. My usual description is something like "trying to turn $8 bottles of wine into $9 bottles of wine." :D Tonight I opened a 2008 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot. Wow, this was really good! Much, much better than the WE OVZ I had been drinking. Tobacco and leather and a bit of fruit -- I was not complaining! I more or less stopped doing this since starting to make my own wine, but this makes me want to go back in time and buy a LOT of cheap wine to age.

DSCN0729.jpg

As I have reported here before, I had a practice of aging low-end wines to see if they improved. My usual description is something like "trying to turn $8 bottles of wine into $9 bottles of wine." :D Tonight I opened a 2008 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot. Wow, this was really good! Much, much better than the WE OVZ I had been drinking. Tobacco and leather and a bit of fruit -- I was not complaining! I more or less stopped doing this since starting to make my own wine, but this makes me want to go back in time and buy a LOT of cheap wine to age.

Better than the WE OVZ? What is the age of the OVZ?

Better than the WE OVZ? What is the age of the OVZ?

Actually, I made a mistake. It was the CC Showcase OVZ. But yes, the commercial wine was markedly better than the kit wine.

The kit is exactly 4 years old. However, it was one of my first kits, with no tweaks, and IIRC, I added too much water (as I had some confusion over the true volume of my carboys). Perhaps that is the reason, although the shortcoming seemed to be more in the acidity of the wine than in its richness.

Back