What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I snagged two bottles on Friday and popped one of them when I smoked the ribs on Sunday. Was a little harsh at first but then seemed to get better as time went by. Might need a little more age on it but I suspect it will get better with time. Very good QPR wine though.

That's the Rose I had mentioned a couple weeks ago from Costco...did you try yet?

Whats new in my Cellar? Certainly none of these....... :)

Intersting to look up the reviews and scores (WS) over the last ~15 years. Be fun to try some on somebody else's $0.10. Need to make friends with a Wall Street banker I guess!

Mike, after reading "Wine Wars," by Mike Veseth, I have been totally ruined on the relationship between price and quality. Price and available stock have a relationship, but after that book, I am not sold on a causal relationship between price and quality.

One thing Veseth diplomatically points out in the book is that 90+ point wines are falling more and more regularly among lower and lower priced offerings. Could be "grade inflation," but he makes a good argument that the wine world is increasingly focusing on quality at all price ranges. Thus, the higher scores.

As far as who to make friends with, find anyone who loves wine and has direct access to a broad company entertainment account that allows for alcohol purchases. At one time in my life, I had access to such an account. Oh, such a delight to simply sign one's name!

Plenty of them on K&L for sale. Since I don't subscribe to WA I can't help but I can make recommendations for sure! If you haven't experienced a Cab Sauv from Red Mountain you owe it to yourself to "compare and contrast" with anything from Napa. I would recommend Gorman Winery, Mark Ryan, Col Solare, Sparkman just to name a few.

Don't be a hater!! I actually looked on WA for some 95 or higher wines in Washington / Oregon and didn't find any, only four rated over 90, two 90's and two 92's, between $35 and $55.

Loved that book! One thing is for certain, you can't turn crap fruit into the finest wine, and good fruit cost some serious $$! After that your paying for "terroir", a little romance, that fancy bottle and that fancy cork!

Mike, after reading "Wine Wars," by Mike Veseth, I have been totally ruined on the relationship between price and quality. Price and available stock have a relationship, but after that book, I am not sold on a causal relationship between price and quality.

Plenty of them on K&L for sale. Since I don't subscribe to WA I can't help but I can make recommendations for sure! If you haven't experienced a Cab Sauv from Red Mountain you owe it to yourself to "compare and contrast" with anything from Napa. I would recommend Gorman Winery, Mark Ryan, Col Solare, Sparkman just to name a few.

Just took delivery of some Red Mountain wine from Columbia Crest today. :D

2012 Como No • Petite Syrah
Rating: 94+
Drink Date: 2025 - 2065
Reviewed by Robert M. Parker, Jr.

The 2012 Petite Syrah spent two years in cask in French oak....

Why the heck are they calling it "Petite Syrah" instead of "Petite Sirah"? We often see the former as an understandable mistake, but they should know better, right? The TTB only lists the latter as an acceptable variety!

Petite Sirah = $18/bottle

Petite Syrah = $60/bottle...... :)

Why the heck are they calling it "Petite Syrah" instead of "Petite Sirah"? We often see the former as an understandable mistake, but they should know better, right? The TTB only lists the latter as an acceptable variety!

Costco run today (more to follow in the "What's for Dinner" thread), and I picked up a couple of these. At $8.99, even if they're only halfway decent, it's still a deal.

IMG_5383.jpg

Decent for the $$. I wanted to be wowed but wasn't but...... It actually got better and better with some air time. Kinda weird for a Rose' Interested in your notes as well.

Costco run today (more to follow in the "What's for Dinner" thread), and I picked up a couple of these. At $8.99, even if they're only halfway decent, it's still a deal.

Last edited:
The spoils of a Costco from from yesterday in SA, TX visiting my mom and oldest daughter for a few days. The real find (steal) is the 14' Gorman "Old Scratch" Cab Sauv from Red Mountain, WA. 93pts WS and all of $23.99. Amazing drinking window. They had a whole wooden bin full. I will be going back before I leave..... Bought 2 before the scores came out, after the scores came out they sold out in a matter of a few weeks. Then the 2015 Kirkland Signature CV Red Wine is the latest edition and the winemaker is non other than Gilles Nicault of Longshadows fame. A whopping $15.99 and it spent 15mo in once used French Oak. The Kungfu Girl Riesling is simply one of the best Rieslings you will ever put in your mouth and a whopping $8.50 a bottle. Rounded off with a hmmmmmm purchase of an Argentinian Finca Rose' of Malbec for only $8. The Rielsing will be going down tonight as it is being paired with a pan of Kirkland Chicken Alfredo that I will be kicking up a notch or two with the addition of some Hatch green chile. :hug

IMG_2292.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 4.07.25 PM.png

Was happy these guys made it in during a brief cool period.

WA says" 94+, Lastly, the 100% Petite Sirah 2013 Landy Sweetwater Springs Vineyard is another 200-case cuvée from a steep hillside vineyard planted in loamy clay and alluvial soils. This wine spent 16 months in 100% new French oak prior to being bottled. It is a powerhouse at 15.5% natural alcohol. Absolutely sensational Petite Sirah, right up there with some of the greatest from California, this killer effort has an inky purple color and a beautiful nose of blueberries, black raspberries, blackberries and floral notes, but it is remarkably concentrated, full-bodied and multi-dimensional. The wine has incredibly sweet tannins and seems to have absorbed the 100% new French oak without a hiccup. This beauty is a full-bodied, bigger-than-life Petite Sirah that should drink well for 20+ years."

IMG_0871.jpg

Took a trip to the northwest today and re-stocked on the 'house red', picked up a couple of another low cost cab to try, as well as something that should be a little nicer.

IMG_5418.jpg

OK, back with an update. I opened one of the bottles of Radius Cab a short while ago. I had relatively low expectations, based on the $10.99 price, but I feel I overpaid. One sip and 'Blech!!'. This is Washington's answer to Apothic Red. Frankly, they've done a pretty good job of copying it. But when I'm in the mood for something like that, I'll save two bucks and get the Apothic. Thinking that maybe my expectation was for a much drier wine and that was throwing my perception off, I went down to the winery to take an SG measurement. Sure enough, 1.004. I poured my samples back into the bottle, sealed it up w/ the VacuVin, put it in the fridge, and will save it for a later date when I'm in the mood for a red like that, or sangria. In its place, I opened one of the CC bottles and that was pretty much where I wanted to be tonight. And at $8.47 a bottle, I'll happily stay there.

You realize this is a faux winery right? That label and the other wine you purchased aside from the CC was just bulk wine bought on the open market by Total Wine. They paid somebody to bottle it up and slap a label on it and they sell it to you and any other unsuspecting buyers looking for a good deal on a cheap bottle of wine. No middle man, huge profit for Total Wine.

Just say no to faux wine!

I had relatively low expectations, based on the $10.99 price, but I feel I overpaid. One sip and 'Blech!!'. This is Washington's answer to Apothic Red.....

You realize this is a faux winery right? That label and the other wine you purchased aside from the CC was just bulk wine bought on the open market by Total Wine. They paid somebody to bottle it up and slap a label on it and they sell it to you and any other unsuspecting buyers looking for a good deal on a cheap bottle of wine. No middle man, huge profit for Total Wine.

Just say no to faux wine!

yes, I do. I'm trying to figure out how best to tell the 'real' wines from the fake ones.

Back