Other Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rslayback

Junior
Reaction score
New to this craft, and starting my first kit(Island mist)(Raspberry Peach Sangria). The instructions call out air lock the primary, but everything I read here says it isn't needed. Should I use the airlock?

The airlock is not needed. Most will tell you that they simply place the lid over the bucket without snapping it closed. I normally just place a piece of plastic sheeting over it to keep the critters out.

The amount of fermentation that happens will produce a huge amount of CO2. This forms a protective "blanket" to guard against the outside world. Additionally, leaving the primary open allows unwanted gasses to more easily escape.

Most of the kits I've done have been from RJ Spagnols and they leave the decision to airlock primary or not up to you...

8. Place cover (or lid with Airlock and Rubber Bung) onto Primary Fermenter. If Airlock and
bung are used fill the Airlock half-full of water or mild sulphite solution.

I've done it both ways without ill effect but have moved to loose cover with paper towel or something over the bung hole. "Secondary" gets airlocked.

Oh, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate it. I think I'm not going to use the airlock on the primary as suggested by everybody, as this will make it eaiser to check the sg.

Latest posts

Back