What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thursday - Leftover Turkey Soup and Turkey sandwiches (Again).

Friday - Leftover Turkey Soup and Turkey sandwiches (YET AGAIN!).

Saturday - Had a nice filet mignon and lobster tail dinner with some friends.

Sunday - The wife made leftover prime rib beef stroganoff.

Monday - I actually cooked! I made a nice meat sauce (ground pork, veal, and beef, diced onions, carrots, red bell peppers, celery, and garlic, and about a pound of sweet Italian sausage). Served it over spiral pasta. YUM!

Com'on, three days without a post. I know @JohnT 's covered several days, but that doesn't count for the rest of ya. Let's see some cold weather dishes, some stews, some pasta, some home made breads....

Fryday, pizza day. Did what I thought was going to be a small crust (1/2 cup liquid, 1 1/4 cups flour, etc) and it filled out a 12 inch pan after cooked no problems. Nice crust, olive oil, sauce, freshly grated romano, diced cotto salami, provolone/mozzarella cheese, oregano on top. Crust is incredible as I got out the rarely used pizza stone, burned the dust off, and cooked the pizza at 475*F. Soft yet perfect mouth feel.

1-6-17_pizza.jpg

Friday night (Pizza night) Part Deaux!

A usual NM "Roadrunner" Pizza. Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Green Chile', lots of Costco Parm on top......

And a bottom crust picture for my little friend........ :)

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

Can you guys share your dough recipe? I tried canned dough last week that turned into a sticky disaster.

Visiting friends out of town. Made an awesome marinated and grilled ribeye, along with Caprese salad, green salad, and braised/glazed butternut squash. Yum Yum!

Last edited:
Other than my older daughter, rest of the family is at a b-day party. Asked my daughter what she wanted for dinner, she didn't care, so I suggested some cheese steak subs, which she agreed to. Beef minute steaks (steakums), green and red peppers, onion, mushrooms and Terranetti's sub rolls (local Italian baker). In place of cheese wiz (normal philly cheese steak topping) I used Velveeta with jalapeno slices, nice flavor.

1-8-17_cheese-steak.jpg

The annual event at our local grocery store is the Can-Can sale. I take advantage every year and get (just about) a year's supply of canned goods. Stocked up on cans of crushed tomatoes (I was down to my last can), stock, coffee, soups, soda, mushrooms, assorted veggies, and tomato paste.

Got home, got the can goods unloaded and put away. HMMMM, what to do about dinner???

Got it (finger snap)! Something that I have not made in quite some time. Something that is, perhaps, one the best things I make. Something rich and filling!

Started by making my own sauce. Sautéed some onion, garlic, and red peppers until soft. Added 3 cans of crushed tomatoes. Then added a palm ful of dried basil, a shot of fennel seed, and then 4 teaspoons of sugar. Let that cook for 3 hours then added 2 cans of tomato paste. Continued to simmer until thick and yummy!

Now for the main dish... EGGPLANT PARM!!!!!

I peel them (only a neanderthal would make eggplant parm with the skins on) and then made thin slices. I then layered each slice between paper towels to get rid of as much moisture as possible. I let that sit for about an hour.

Then it was flour/egg/breadcrumbs for each slice and fried until golden brown. They were drained on a wood board. Was pleasantly surprised that frying up all of that eggplant took only 90 minutes.

I then assembled the dish in layers (like a lasagna). Each slice got a spoon of sauce and a thin slice of motz cheese. Every 3 layers got a dusting of garlic powder, parm cheese, pepper, dried basil, and a touch of red pepper flakes. When I reached the top, I spooned a nice bit of the sauce, and more motz. I then baked it at 325 for 90 minutes, then let it sit for 20 minutes to rest.

So, in the end it was...

3 cans of crushed tomatoes,
2 cans of tomato paste,
4 cloves garlic,
1 medium onion,
1 small red bell pepper,
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon fennel seed
3 tablespoons dried basil

then:

3 large eggplants
2 pounds of motz cheese,
10 eggs,
2 pounds of bread crumbs,
some flour,

and most importantly..

1 bottle of my 2014 Montepulciano (for the chef).

Words can not describe just how delicious this turned out. It was firm and packed with flavor! How can anyone ever want sauce from a jar?? The wine choice was ideal, full bodied and really shown through the richness of the eggplant.

AND YES, I TOOK SOME PHOTOS THIS TIME!!!!

IMG_20170107_184825_013.jpg

IMG_20170107_182415_064.jpg

I made a pork and pasta dish, just kinda made it up. I was jonseing for a brandy/cream sauce, and decided to use pork for the protein. So, I bought a pork tenderloin, cut it into medallions and seared those. Then I sauteed shallots, mushrooms, and garlic, then flambeed this with brandy and sherry, then added heavy cream, thyme, fennel, truffle oil, etc. Served over angel-hair pasta. Delish. I made a side of beer-braised cabbage. (These did not go too well together, but there were other reasons I wanted to make cabbage this evening.) Washed this down with a Bogle Chard.

Needed a "red chile" fix tonight so came home at lunch did my workout and then brought out the crock pot and made a nice batch of "Carne Adovada". Slow cooked pork butt, red chile (powder and crushed), oregano, onion, cumin, garlic, salt. The aroma was intoxicating when I came home this afternoon! :hug

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

Needed a "red chile" fix tonight so came home at lunch did my workout and then brought out the crock pot and made a nice batch of "Carne Adovada". Slow cooked pork butt, red chile (powder and crushed), oregano, onion, cumin, garlic, salt. The aroma was intoxicating when I came home this afternoon! :hug

Is that sour cream or yogurt it is being served with (white stuff under the cilantro)? Looks and I think would smell awesome, need to think about that one, I think the kiddos would eat that, they are sick of turkey taco meat. Your wraps look nice and fresh and soft and warm and...Heck, now I'm hungry and about to go to bed.

Sour cream to take some of the heat down a notch or two! LOL

Cool (literally). Wasn't sure as I read that the traditional version sometimes fermented the pork with the bacteria (non-dairy) to preserve it. I guess a quicky fix to add the sourness of that process is to add a greek yogurt to the finished product.

I like crock pot dinners as I can help my wife out time wise in the evening using some extra time in the morning waiting for my youngest daughters bus to show up. Plus I don't ever remember making a crock pot meal and not having a really tasty end product. Thank you for the great idea!

A simple roast chicken, following Cafe Zuni's wonderful recipe: http://www.eater.com/2013/10/8/6362421/zuni-cafes-roast-chicken-for-two Also, risotto and roast brussels sprout halves with parmesan. I am experimenting with adding spices/herbs below the detection limit to add to the complexity of a dish. The risotto was flavored with some coriander, and the brussels sprouts had lemon juice and truffle oil. One of my beautiful dining companions ID'ed the truffle, but the rest went unidentified.

Chicken parm without any chicken. Half of the dish with turkey breast fillets, the other half with venison. Used the 4/C gluten free seasoned bread crumbs, deep fried in canola oil yesterday, hung out in the fridge overnight and assembled this morning. The turkey was good but the venison was fork tender, the boys really enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back