Do you worry about bottle shape?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't really care. As long as what is in them is good, I am ok.

Like Bill, I try to keep reds in darker bottles and whites/fruits in lighter ones but I go with whatever I have on hand.

I'm authentic, but flexible. :D Reds pretty much go into Bordeaux, except Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir, Viognier, Chardonnay in Bordeaux.

Let's not start talking bottle color though. ;)

Just making sure: your second "Bordeaux" was meant to be "Burgundy," right?

Edit: Jim fixed this. I was going to delete this now-meaningless post, but I no longer can see a way to delete posts. What am I missing? :?

Last edited:
Reds go mostly in Green Bordeaux, I think I have about 60 Burgandy that I will use for pinot. Whites (pinot grigio or Chardoney) go in clear Bordeaux.

Rieslings and Gewurztraminer always go in green / brown Hock bottles anything else is just wrong:wy

Seems like everyone is pretty similar. And basically do our best to keep it as traditional as possible. I 'thought' I preferred traditional Bordeaux bottles. Until I started to use labels on my last couple batches. Maybe it's me and I'm doing something wrong but the taper on those bottles makes it impossible to put a label on it without looking cooked.
So at this point my preference is the cheaper green (thinner glass) straight classic style without the taper.
Dressed up they still look like a Legit procuct. What I have been keeping my eye out for is shrink capsules that are the standard cheap ones in every brew shop. It's always the same kind offered

I agree about the taper vs straight Bordeaux bottle. So much easier to put a label on the straight, non-tapered bottle.

Different twist to this thread but still bottles. I bought 7 cases of green Bordeaux bottles from Mid West Supply or someone. They are really light compared to the bottles I recycle from wineries. Is there a wieght classification for bottles?

My bottle supplier in Niagara is getting Chinese produced bottles, they are very light relative to Canadian produced bottles, but I am only paying 7.95 $C per dozen

Different twist to this thread but still bottles. I bought 7 cases of green Bordeaux bottles from Mid West Supply or someone. They are really light compared to the bottles I recycle from wineries. Is there a wieght classification for bottles?

Some are definitely 'better' than others. I've been very happy with bottles ordered from MoreWine and from Shore Container. You need to play with quantity to find the 'sweet spot' for shipping.

Shore is here in VA, but IIRC, down on the northern neck - 2-3 hrs each way.

For those having stacking problems: Go the dollar store and buy the expanded rubber non slip drawer liner. It comes in several colors. Cut the roll to fit your bottles. They will not move or commit suicide any longer, even the sloped ones stay put.

I think the more I care about the batch, the more I care about the bottles. Now that I've scaled up to 100+ bottle batches I see myself going out of my way for legit bottles for the seasonal batches.
But for kits I still will use whatever I have around. I just did a Rosè and basically if it was clear- it was good enough. But that in itself gave each bottle its own little personality. (And it was also kinda fun remembering where they came from. 'The Mother's Day rose we hated' or 'that was the Sauv Blanc bottle for topping'. I don't know. Thought it was cool.). Ain't no stacking these though. IMG_6343.jpgCheck it out.

Bottle shape is historical. From regional traditions in Europe. Shape does not really matter except in sales and marketing to a popular international market, and to indicate to those "in the know" what type of wine to expect in the bottle.

I like the traditional and historical nature. So it can be fun. But I don't over do it however. But if one does choose to be rigid about bottle shape, then at least be consistent. So if one insists that is just wrong to put a Gewürztraminer into anything but a Rhine bottle, then I might counter that is then also just wrong to drink that same wine in anything but a traditional German wine glass ;):

iu

But other than that, saying there is just one correct bottle shape for a wine, to me, is rather boring in a pretentious sort of way. I like to think outside the box as well. So I also like the twisted, quirky bottle from Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Because life is too short to be normal all the time :h.

iu

Last edited:
I try to match because it tastes better when it's in the correct bottle.

I say this only partially in jest. Drinking wine has a to do with perception; the look & feel, atmosphere and romance. If it is just me, heck I'll drink it out of a carboy. If I'm sharing with someone that could care less, I also don't care.

If I'm giving a bottle to someone that really knows their wine, I want the bottle to be correct, the label to look professional, put on straight, a matching capsule and the bottle nice and clean. I want them to compare my wines to nice wines that they can buy commercially and don't want it pre-judged because of a detail like the bottle shape.

If I received a Cabernet in a used Burgandy bottle, with left over glue, a funny label with water marks on it, I'm going to pre-judge the wine. Doesn't change the wine that's in there, but for me if the outside is done right, it shows attention to detail that I assume I will also find in the bottle.

Some are definitely 'better' than others. I've been very happy with bottles ordered from MoreWine and from Shore Container. You need to play with quantity to find the 'sweet spot' for shipping.

Shore is here in VA, but IIRC, down on the northern neck - 2-3 hrs each way.

A while back I talked to them. If I remember correctly a pallet picked up was fairly reasonable. That's definately too many bottles for me.

I only drink what I like to call proper red wines (dry) and they all come in a Bordeaux style bottle so that's what I'll be using to bottle my own.

I dont worry about bottle shape right now although im sure ill get there, im more worried about bottles period. Like having enough.

Latest posts

Back