Adjusting ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Kay

Reaction score
Hi, I can't seem to find the calculation to lower the ph of my wine must. Currently I have 12 gallons of Zin must with a ph of 3.9. What's the calc to lower? I've tested TA and it's been inaccurate at best so figured at least get ph in order.

Thanks,

I just lowered the ph of my merlot and syrah yesterday, both had a ph of 4.0, i think i calculated the dose of tatrtaric acid to be 200 grams to get to 3.4, but i added a tbsp at a time and waited 30 min between doses and it only took me 4 tbsp to get to 3.6 so thats where i left it. Mine is also a 12 gallon batch approx, maybe a bit more.

Here i found this in winemakermag, close to the same formula i used but i ended up using less than half of what was recommended. Anyway i cant remember exactly how much this math wanted me to add but i didnt even add half of what was recommended, i wanted to be at 3.4ph but by the time i got to 3.6 my ta was already at 0.75 so i stopped there

IMG_4026.PNG

Last edited:
Our experience is that you should add the acid, a little at a time until you get the desired result, then wait 24 hours and test again. There's some buffering and the new measure may be different.

I agree with @4score, formulas don't work well with pH. Many people end up overshooting their target.

Third that.. pgentile walked me through lowering my ph, im glad i didnt add the full dosage as it wouldve put me probly bang on where i wanted to be ph, but way over the TA range i wanted.

Latest posts

Back