Vinmetrica sc300 stolen. Forge ahead and test and adjust later?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marino

Reaction score
Yesterday My apartment was broken into and along with every electronic thing that can fit in a backpack, they stole my vinmetrica sc300. I had it right by the door on the way to show a buddy of mine, and wouldn't you know it, I came home to a smashed window, and open back door.

Enough whining: TODAY I picked up my grapes and have them in cold soak, but have nothing to rest besides a graduated cylinder and hydrometers. The sugar seems good to start (over 1090) but I may bring it up a bit. I have no clue for ph or TA. Should I just go ahead and adjust after fermentation? What will I miss? It's not that easy to get ahold of another vinmetrica that quickly....

Thanks for your help!

Marino

If you watch eBay, you'll probably see your sc300 come up for sale.

Been watching all online dumping grounds, but nothing has come up yet. Too many things to list. I used another friend's meter and am getting 3.8. Is that too high? This is my first year really caring about numbers (thus the vinmetrica) but I don't really know where to go from there... I have a small bag of tartaric acid, but need to read a lot more, I guess....

Bummer about your meter. Not knowing the friend's meter, if you believe it, you might want to adjust if a white grape. If red you are, in my opinion, on the bubble. I'd leave it and see where it goes. Lots of great high pH reds out there. You can adjust later if you must.

Im looking for an sc-300 as well, i check ebay everyday as well as a bunch of other sites, if i see one come up in your area i will post here.

Been watching all online dumping grounds, but nothing has come up yet. Too many things to list. I used another friend's meter and am getting 3.8. Is that too high? This is my first year really caring about numbers (thus the vinmetrica) but I don't really know where to go from there... I have a small bag of tartaric acid, but need to read a lot more, I guess....

It may be too late, but I'd adjust .1 or .2 pH pre ferment. Not a big deal letting it go as well. Most my wines are up in this range, but I lose .1-.2 going through fermentation, mlf, so I'd rather start lower than 3.8 so that I end at 3.8, but I don't add more than 1 gram per liter as an adjustment.

Latest posts

Back