Can I re-ferment to raise the ABV...??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJames

You can ferment ANYTHING!!
Reaction score
I have a batch of Mixed berry wine. It has completed fermentation and has been resting, in the carboy, for the last 3 months. I'm wondering if I can add more sugar and yeast to try and raise the ABV%... I tasted it and it is very low and alcohol. we don't normally like wines that are super high in alcohol content but this one is way too low almost like black berry juice. I would like a little bit more at least.

So can I add more sugar and the yeast to try and raise the alcohol content a little bit or a lot?

ForumRunner_20130720_065819.png

Yes you can or blend with a higher ABV wine. What was your starting gravity? If you have had that much airspace in the carboy for 3 months it may be oxidized.

lot of head space in that..... i would add sorbate and campden if you have not all ready, then i would add some berry vodka to raise the abv.
then add a simple syrup made from the the berries you began with, that way you will raise the abv, and gain on the head room space, and could be drinking a lot sooner.

lot of head space in that..... i would add sorbate and campden if you have not all ready, then i would add some berry vodka to raise the abv.
then add a simple syrup made from the the berries you began with, that way you will raise the abv, and gain on the head room space, and could be drinking a lot sooner.

Not too sure if I want to add vodka, but it is an interesting idea. I may just try it with even half of the batch. Thanks.

Yes you can or blend with a higher ABV wine. What was your starting gravity? If you have had that much airspace in the carboy for 3 months it may be oxidized.

I don't measure OG ot FG....know, I know... How would I know if it is oxidized?? This is probably my third batch like this and all seemed to have turned out well. But it does remind me that I need to raise the level higher. Thanks.

How would you know it is low alcohol? You really need to start taking some readings. Right now that wine is young.

Really need to do OG FG readings I made some blackberry taste like no alcohol in it but actually has 12.5% a couple glasses and it sneaks up on ya

I have that much head space quite often with no probelems. The only one that even started to oxidize was toped up fully its whole life. It had one of those stupid silicone stoppers. It would not stay in all the way. I ended up taping the sucker in. Luckily it was only a single galleon.
Oxidation will give it a slightly off caramely flavor. Sort of. Hard to describe. I only had the one that even started to oxidise so I don't know what a fully oxidised one would taste like.

As far as restarting the ferment goes. Take out a qt or gal and get the smaller volume going first. Just adding some suger and stirring it may do the trick. Remember to add a little more yeast energizer or nutriant. If it does not start back up, then make a yeast starter and add that.
If you try to add just the shuger to the big jug and it is still willing to feement you may get a vocano. Just a fyi.

Without a hydrometer you really don't know the ABV. I wouldn't trust my taste buds for detecting alcohol after aging for 3 months. If you do decide to add more yeast just realize if the ABV is already in the 12% range your yeast will not survive for very long and you may end up with a very sweet wine. I would recommend going slowly and temper the amount of sugar you add until you see how the fermentation goes.
Hydrometers are cheap and they really give you good indicators of what is going on. Good luck with it.

I have a batch of Mixed berry wine. It has completed fermentation and has been resting, in the carboy, for the last 3 months. I'm wondering if I can add more sugar and yeast to try and raise the ABV%... I tasted it and it is very low and alcohol. we don't normally like wines that are super high in alcohol content but this one is way too low almost like black berry juice. I would like a little bit more at least.

So can I add more sugar and the yeast to try and raise the alcohol content a little bit or a lot?
I'll add my voice to the "GET A HYDROMETER and USE IT" brigade.

However, to answer your question, if you haven't added sorbate to the wine, you can probably add more sugar and fermentation will start up again. "Probably" because the answer depends on a number of factors including current alcohol content, which we don't know because you don't use a hydrometer.

Steve

What yeast did you use? Some typs die off at 12%, others hold on untill 18% abv.

I'll add my voice to the "GET A HYDROMETER and USE IT" brigade.

However, to answer your question, if you haven't added sorbate to the wine, you can probably add more sugar and fermentation will start up again. "Probably" because the answer depends on a number of factors including current alcohol content, which we don't know because you don't use a hydrometer.

Steve

Yikes you guys...you dont need to yell about using the hydrometer. I have three of them and a refractometer... I go by taste and past practice. Does a good chef go with taste ot measuring devices?? I must not have used enough sugar during fermentation. I have made this batch 3 times and loved it. Low alcohol makes it nice for my wife and I to drink a glass or two during dinner.

I simply wanted to know about restarting fermentation. I ended up using a berry vodka to amplify taste and ABV.

I made a new batch of blackberry wine and used more sugar per gallon for fermentation. I am following Yoopers recipe. And I measured OG at 1.090...

ForumRunner_20130722_114407.png

Last edited:
The very first thing...number one, ono...1, ahead of all else,first in line,
beginning,pre thought, when making wine...
get and learn to use a simple hydrometer......

The very first thing...number one, ono...1, ahead of all else,first in line,
beginning,pre thought, when making wine...
get and learn to use a simple hydrometer......

Disagreed, but you have your right. I choose not to...but this last batch I did, just for you.

I used Lavlin 71b-1122 yeast. Fermented at 72.0 F.

I have that much head space quite often with no probelems. The only one that even started to oxidize was toped up fully its whole life. It had one of those stupid silicone stoppers. It would not stay in all the way. I ended up taping the sucker in. Luckily it was only a single galleon.
Oxidation will give it a slightly off caramely flavor. Sort of. Hard to describe. I only had the one that even started to oxidise so I don't know what a fully oxidised one would taste like.

As far as restarting the ferment goes. Take out a qt or gal and get the smaller volume going first. Just adding some suger and stirring it may do the trick. Remember to add a little more yeast energizer or nutriant. If it does not start back up, then make a yeast starter and add that.
If you try to add just the shuger to the big jug and it is still willing to feement you may get a vocano. Just a fyi.

And thank you for your response, for answering my questions instead and berating me. I ended up adding the vodka which hopefully gives me additional flavors and higher ABV.

Those berries look great....I trust your daughter is your helper....

Yup, she helped me pick out the berries and then asked if we could get extra so she could eat them....!!

Yes a good chef does use measuring instruments, the goal is to be able to replicable the product again. No one is berating you, they are just trying to help. You asked for help and they are trying to give you some very good advice. Not using a hydrometer is like diving with a blindfold on. That can also be said if you are not checking your PH or TA. The amount of sugar you need to add would depend on the amount of sugars that are in your fruit, each year's harvest is different. Because acid and sugar levels depends on the weather and when it was picked you should never just follow a recipe, the recipe is a guidance not a rule.

And an oxidized wine does not have an "slightly off caramely flavor" An oxidized wine will become flat and lifeless. I have had some tell me that once it is oxidized it will remind you of vinegar.

Yes a good chef does use measuring instruments, the goal is to be able to replicable the product again. No one is berating you, they are just trying to help. You asked for help and they are trying to give you some very good advice. Not using a hydrometer is like diving with a blindfold on. That can also be said if you are not checking your PH or TA. The amount of sugar you need to add would depend on the amount of sugars that are in your fruit, each year's harvest is different. Because acid and sugar levels depends on the weather and when it was picked you should never just follow a recipe, the recipe is a guidance not a rule.

And an oxidized wine does not have an "slightly off caramely flavor" An oxidized wine will become flat and lifeless. I have had some tell me that once it is oxidized it will remind you of vinegar.

Was just gonna send you a note and ask to have this thread closed. I received an answer. I am new here and have done more reading than posting. And for good reason. I appreciate the advice given, but I was looking for an answer to my question. The ones who CAPITALIZED words and repeated that I should measure and use a hydrometer are detracting from the thread. Please close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back