What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holding my breath, as my parents house of 34 years goes on the market tomorrow. It is impeccable (Dad's a little anal :D ) and probably won't last through the weekend. So many memories there, but they need to get into a place that will be more manageable. The current place has a good sized yard with a lot of landscaping Dad's done over these 3 decades and it has become a lot to maintain for a man in his 70's. It's a great location and with them only living 5 miles from us, I drive through their neighborhood on my way home from work every day. Sadly, they'll be about 12 miles away in their new place when its built, but halfway between me and one of my sisters. And that sister's office is less than two miles away, so all will be well if they need a kid to swing by. I was an Army brat and we moved around a fair amount in my younger years, but we were lucky to be in the DC area (and in that house) for 8 years before my Dad retired from Service. I was in college at that time, so this is the closest thing I have to the 'house I grew up in'. I was really hoping my youngest sister would somehow buy it and move back to the area - they are in nearby Baltimore suburbs now - but that wasn't in the cards.

It appears it is a sellers market. From what I've been seeing there is a lower then normal inventory in NOVA.

It's been a good seller's market for a couple years now. Two years ago, we sold our house in Bristow. In 3 days, we had a ton of traffic and 3 contracts. Our old neighbors just sold and their house never officially hit the market.

Last edited:
Your Dad seems like a good guy all around. I'd bet you already offered he and your Mom the master suite, and you and your wife would sleep on the couch, for a few years... :h

Ha! That's the best one I've heard in a while. He is a good guy. But it didn't rub off on me. :)

8 showings today, and they already have one offer. Open house on Sunday.

Well my day is officially shot. I was on the red-eye from Seattle to DC, and due to weather missed my connection at 7 AM this morning. My confirmed seat now gets me home at 4:55 PM! There are a few stand-by options that might get me home sooner, but this is a day that requires drinking . . .

Well my day is officially shot. I was on the red-eye from Seattle to DC, and due to weather missed my connection at 7 AM this morning. My confirmed seat now gets me home at 4:55 PM! There are a few stand-by options that might get me home sooner, but this is a day that requires drinking . . .

So, where are you stranded? I agree - a Bloody Mary is probably in order.

Coached my 10 yo sons team to a second round baseball playoff win, went straight to basketball practice. One hour to change and get to a birthday party for a buddy in New Orleans, where I'm hoping the LSU / Oregon elimination game is on TV. Rarely a dull moment.

Coached my 10 yo sons team to a second round baseball playoff win, went straight to basketball practice. One hour to change and get to a birthday party for a buddy in New Orleans, where I'm hoping the LSU / Oregon elimination game is on TV. Rarely a dull moment.

Did you have to travel by boat? Just wondered how much rain you got down there. I know we got a lot up here.

We started bottling at 8 a.m. We finished bottling at 11:30 a.m. All in all, we bottled 57 cases in three and a half hours! We then had lunch and did some fancy sipping. Oh what a good time we had!

Bottling was greatly speeded up by using two bottle fillers and two floor corkers. With a crew of nine people we sure did make short work of it!

Have I ever said I really love this Hobby?

Id typically be outside smoking meat on a saturday but with tempatures nearing 40celcius (104f) i decided to stay inside and juice 40lbs of apples for an apple wine. Wait... scratch that, as i was typing this got my first service call of the day Unfortunatley im an air conditioning mechanic. Days like this suck.

So Mrs IB flew out early Friday to LA to visit our oldest daughter and SIL who have season tickets to the Hollywood Bowl Summer Concert series. They have 4 box seats and tonight was the Sound of Music Sing-A-Long where people dress up and singalong to the music which is performed live by the LA Philharmonic Orchestra. Mrs IB has been working on the costumes for a couple of weeks. Her and a couple her BFF's also flew out to attend. Long story short, they made it onstage at the Hollywood Bowl for best costumes!

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

Last edited:
After spending last week in Tampa/St. Pete, I was able to get home before midnight on Thursday, then bottle on Friday in preparation for 2 shows this past weekend. Saturday was the Wine and Jazz festival which we were the talk of the show and sold very well. Sunday, we helped raise money for the Hannastown Re-enactment (which was the last battle of the Revolutionary War) and ended up selling out of 4 wines (I was going to be happy if we sold one case).

Currently in Houston to check on my problem children after I had to replace their manager. Looking forward to getting home on Thursday and taking a week's vacation to clean and re-layout the winery, catch up on bottling and prep for another fundraising show for next Friday.

Latest posts

Back