What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my sister-in-law and her husband (brother-in-law-ish) over, and we all went to the US Open. On this last night, we fired up the grill, but endeavoring to make the quickest meal we could because it was ~8:30 by the time we got home. I managed to crank out grilled asparagus (olive oil, garlic, coriander, fennel), grilled hearts of Romaine lettuce with a tarragon/lemon vinaigrette, and grass-fed rib-eye steak. The steak was scrumptious!

Last edited:
Love adding quick and easy dinners to the line-up. Tonight was a repeat from last week that went over well with everyone in the family (even the hot dog queen). Boneless chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded thin (until I felt better). Made a simple bbq sauce of vinegar/water/mustard/Worcestershire sauce/salt/pepper/small bit of ketchup/small amount of table sugar/lemon juice, heated to a boil and then turned it off. Served the finished chicken on potato rolls and served with veges and chips. Quick and easy, we were done by 5:30 pm, now several family members have dispersed throughout the county to leave me the clean up (just doesn't pay to be the cook). Hopefully after clean up I have enough energy to rack a few wines.

6-19-17_chicken-1.JPG

6-19-17_chicken-2.JPG

Looks like dinner for...... tomorrow night then if its going in the slow cooker tonight! LOL

Sounds a like it might be Carne Adovada which is of course a staple in these parts. :HB

Pork Adobada

This is happening tonight! And I've got red cabbage slaw, tortillas, and feta cheese (seriously, feta on mexican food is AMAZING) is going to equal a great supper.

Looks like dinner for...... tomorrow night then if its going in the slow cooker tonight! LOL

Sounds a like it might be Carne Adovada which is of course a staple in these parts. :HB

yeah, different name but it's the same thing! We ate it last night. It went into the crockpot around 11 am.

OMG! Recipes, please!

Pork Adobada

Soak half a bag, or 5oz of NM red chile pods in hot water. When they have softened, pop the stems off them and put them in a blender or food processor and add enough water to cover the pods. Chop/puree until it is a thick paste. Add 2 garlic cloves and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. Puree again, adding a little water (or chicken stock) if needed. You want a paste but not super thick.

Cut a pork roast into .5-1 inch cubes. Try to remove most of the fat. Put into a casserole dish and combine with chile. DO NOT ADD WATER. Only use chile paste. Cook in oven at 250f for 3 hours or until it falls apart.
I chose to put ours into a crockpot since turning on the oven in 104 degree weather tends to heat up the whole house.
If you decide to go that route, you can eat as is when it comes out of the crockpot or treat it like carnitas by melting a little lard in a frying pan and "frying" your carne portion until the bits are somewhat crispy on the edges, then add to your taco, tortilla, etc.

For the red cabbage slaw, I really don't follow a recipe.
I cut the cabbage in half, then remove the hard white center.
Then I cut it diagonally so that I end up with very long, thin pieces of cabbage. Add a 1/2 of red onion, cut into thin stripes as well.
Add a pepper, minced small. Hot if you like it that way, but also good with a sweet pepper.
Add salt, paprika, and small amounts of chile powder and cumin.
Some also add a generous amount of cilantro, but since I can't stand the taste, I omit it.

Then add apple cider vinegar (about a 1/4 cup) or lime juice. Or do like me and add both.
Then add about the same amount or a little less of olive oil. Mix well. Taste, adjust if needed.
Put into a large ziplock bag and leave in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Serve on tacos, burritos, hamburgers, whatever.
Or you can treat it like coleslaw and just eat it as a side.

Some people add a teaspoon of sugar to the mix as well, but I skip that.

Texted wifey (had the day off work to take two T1-ers to an Endocrinologist appt) and asked her what she wanted for dinner. She said kabobs. Found some on sale turkey tenderloins, cut them up and marinated in some GF Caribbean Mango marinate (Giant brand, believe it or not) and some pineapple juice. Nice day for grillin' and chillin', got up in the mid 80s today and the humidity is starting to spike a bit (good ole tropical moisture on the way). Grilled with Vidalia onion slices, sweet red peppers and some pineapple chunks. Also did a skewer of Nathan's hot dogs for the youngest (she was ecstatic). Served with rice, very good and quick. May try it in the crock pot this fall.

6-22-17_kabobs.JPG

I had a couple of nice-but-tough lamb shoulder chops awaiting us, so I "fired up" the sous-vide cooker. Cooked them at 141F for ~4 hours with coriander, cumin, and garlic. Threw a pinch of pink salt (curing salt, with sodium nitrite) in there, too, so they wound up looking oddly pink, like bacon. After the hot-tub treatment, I seared them in a smoking-hot cast iron pan for browning. I also made those simmered-then-smashed-then-fried-tostone-style potatoes I am always raving about, and broiled asparagus seasoned with fennel powder. Scrumptious! Washed down with a 2008 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot.

I had a couple of nice-but-tough lamb shoulder chops awaiting us, so I "fired up" the sous-vide cooker. Cooked them at 141F for ~4 hours with coriander, cumin, and garlic. Threw a pinch of pink salt (curing salt, with sodium nitrite) in there, too, so they wound up looking oddly pink, like bacon. After the hot-tub treatment, I seared them in a smoking-hot cast iron pan for browning. I also made those simmered-then-smashed-then-fried-tostone-style potatoes I am always raving about, and broiled asparagus seasoned with fennel powder. Scrumptious! Washed down with a 2008 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot.

Curious about the use of curing salt when you're consuming right way. What does that bring to the table, aside from that nice, pink color?

Can the Pit Boss cook a Pizza? Heck yea! Using leftover wood and lump charcoal from my Father's day smoked meats I snagged a Papa Murphy's Pan Pizza this afternoon and added some green chile' to kick it up a notch or two. Restarted the fire with my trusty electric charcoal starter in like 15min and then let it rip wide open for another 15 mins and let it come up to 425F. I added my Weber pizza stone as a heat deflector and put it on for 12 mins and done! The wood smoke is da bomb! :db

Paired wonderfully with this wine!

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

Last edited:
Wow did it rain last night! But woke up to a beautiful day. Doing inside chores this morning till the yard dries out. Need to work on my weeds growing in the bushes since I got a letter from the association demanding action (I love associations). So I need something to keep me in the yard all day, low and behold, I found something left behind after the truck pulled away. One slab (the St. Louis cut) will get a dry rub, the loin back ribs will get apple juice and cider for a few hours. Then both will hang out on the grill all afternoon at 275*F, will probably do a 3-2-1 method for a six hour cooking session. Might try the Minion method for the fire so I don't have to mess with it too often.

6-24-17_ribs-1.JPG

Can the Pit Boss cook a Pizza? Heck yea! Using leftover wood and lump charcoal from my Father's day smoked meats I snagged a Papa Murphy's Pan Pizza this afternoon and added some green chile' to kick it up a notch or two. Restarted the fire with my trusty electric charcoal starter in like 15min and then let it rip wide open for another 15 mins and let it come up to 425F. I added my Weber pizza stone as a heat deflector and put it on for 12 mins and done! The wood smoke is da bomb! :db

Paired wonderfully with this wine!

Looks great! And looks like you kicked it up more than one notch.

FYI, 275 might be a little too hot for 6 hour run, so be careful if you go that hot. If you want 6 hours might need to go low like 225. Otherwise could be overdone.

Then both will hang out on the grill all afternoon at 275*F, will probably do a 3-2-1 method for a six hour cooking session. Might try the Minion method for the fire so I don't have to mess with it too often.

Last edited:
My St. Louis ribs are usually done in 4-ish at 250-275. Depends on how you like 'em done. Some people like the meat literally falling apart off the bone. I like mine to pull cleanly off the bone, but not too done.

Okay, thanks for the advice, I rarely cook ribs. I'll aim for 225*F, right now when I put them on it was 300*F, fell to 250*F and I closed the bottom vents except one away from the prevailing wind which I left open at 25%. Will have to watch closely till it settles down. I started them early, so if I low ball it I'll have time to catch up at the end. Normally that is what happens, I end up finishing on the propane grill the last 30 minutes or so. If they get done too early I'll take them off and move them to a cooler to rest. My kids like them to disintegrate off the bone, so a little over done will be okay with them. I did end up dry rubbing both of them since I didn't have any apple juice and no car to go get some. I hid some pecan wood throughout the unlit charcoal and could smell it right off the bat. I think I had too many "starter" coals, that's why my temp started too high...noted in the cookbook (my brain - scary thought).

Edit (1 pm): she doesn't want to cool down, must have got too many briquettes lit. Closed it down and will let it drop for a while. Really don't want to eat at 3 pm...

6-24-17_ribs-2.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back