New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know how you like it once it arrives, especially the build quality (for that kind of $$$). Everything I have ever ordered from that site has been very poor quality. Just this Holiday I ordered some Xmas ornaments with my winery name on them. Not cheap ($35 ea). I thought I was getting laser etching but instead it was just stamped on the ornament. I was able to smear the "customization" right off with my thumb..... I also ordered a custom cellar sign. Again very shoddy work and the wood feels almost like balsa wood, so fragile if you breath on it it may break..... Ordered a set of "Madmen" style highball glasses several years ago, again same thing very poor quality. Glass was full of defects and the shiny steel rim along the top was all tarnished and colored. I called and complained and they refunded my $$$ and said to keep the glasses as a "gift".....

just ordered this set for the room. Very excited to receive them..........in 6-8 weeks.

Let me know how you like it once it arrives, especially the build quality (for that kind of $$$). Everything I have ever ordered from that site has been very poor quality. Just this Holiday I ordered some Xmas ornaments with my winery name on them. Not cheap ($35 ea). I thought I was getting laser etching but instead it was just stamped on the ornament. I was able to smear the "customization" right off with my thumb..... I also ordered a custom cellar sign. Again very shoddy work and the wood feels almost like balsa wood, so fragile if you breath on it it may break..... Ordered a set of "Madmen" style highball glasses several years ago, again same thing very poor quality. Glass was full of defects and the shiny steel rim along the top was all tarnished and colored. I called and complained and they refunded my $$$ and said to keep the glasses as a "gift".....

I'll definitely do that. I'm really uncomfortable buying stuff that I can't see in person and touch. Therefore, I called and spoke with the salesman (I know his job is to sell) about the pieces, he confirmed that he'd sat on the stools and that they were very sturdy, as well as the table. All of the table base components are cast iron and very heavy, table doesn't wobble on the long spindle that supports it, you know the drill. I'm a skeptic until I see it in person..........but it looks nice in the picture and should work well in the room from a space standpoint.

Wowzers! Great Project.

I probably should have built a wine room instead of the 600 square foot deck we just had built since I live in snow country and only get to use the deck half the year. :)

Had a little free time this morning at 6 AM before baseball playoffs and yard work, cut 50 verticals and 1500 bottle supports, whipped out a few frames and set / fastened them in place. It's a meager start, but I've got the kinks worked out. Just need to put in the hours now........

OK, feet back on terra firma, dug up my old sketches from the conceptual phase, sketch attached. I'm sure there are many ways to skin this cat, but this is my way.

The attached is for your normal run of the mill 750 ml Bordeaux bottle, which is what I use for all of my wine (other than the occasional 375), green for reds, clear for whites, rose', etc. The verticals are 1x2 nominal dimensions, the 1/2 x 1/2 bottle holders are exactly 1/2 x 1/2. Distance between the verticals is 3.25", distance between the bottle holders is 3". It's efficient spacing, but not too crowded. If you wanted to tighten up the 3" between bottle holders, there is a little room to do so, but it may throw off your horizontal alignment if you have larger bottles to accomodate.

I also have some racks to handle larger bottles, and I wanted all bottles to line up horizontally, so everything is the same except the distance between the verticals, which was increased to 3-13/16", this accommodates the largest 750's I have, and because the bottle holders are all at 3" spacing, the normal and larger bottles all line up horizontally. If you tightened up the 3" bottle holder spacing for the regular 750's too much, the bigger bottles wouldn't fit well even though the verticals were spaced out to 3-13/16". Clear as mud?

Don't go too tight, or you'll risk tearing the labels off of your bottles.

I'm planning to build this EXACT setup in my "wine room" which is really just the far end of my 50 foot long bowling alley of a bedroom which the wife just loves the smell of yeast. (I think that came out wrong).

I saw you posted some dimensions in a post but was wondering if I could get a few more details.

I was planning going about ~7 foot wide and ~7 foot high with a ~2 foot by ~2 foot open space for display with a shelf.

It looks like you utilized the existing studs for reinforcement with the backing board?

Did you assemble all the bottle holders to the vertical with screws? or a nail gun?

Thanks so much in advance John.

Last edited:
Wowzers! Great Project!

I saw you posted some dimensions in a post but was wondering if I could get a few more details.

It looks like you utilized the existing studs for reinforcement with the backing board?

Did you assemble all the bottle holders to the vertical with screws? or a nail gun?

Thanks so much in advance John.

Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated.

The room is standard construction, with 2 x studs on 16" centers, closed cell spray foam insulation, and 1/2" MR drywall, taped, floated and painted. From there, all of the woodwork is surface applied over the drywall, but certainly nailed through it and into the studs.

Horizontal 1x2's were attached to the wall behind the racking, the racks attach to those horizontals. Each rack was built individually in a jig that I made to keep them all uniform. Everything was made, and attached with a pneumatic trim nailer, using appropriate length nails for the application.

I'll post some "under construction" photos and a finished product of one area to help illustrate the above.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

image.jpg

Just an update, this was due in early March, but the #*¥~#* thing isn't in yet. Purportedly delayed due to QC issues at the manufacturer, I don't like the sound of that at all. It's supposed to be in from the manufacturer this week for "inspection" prior to shipping to me. They did give me a $75 coupon as a token of apology for the delay. More later...........

OK, @ibglowin etal, here's my evaluation of this purchase, from the onset to now.

Ordering and paying was a breeze, made an inquiry about the product and got a call from a salesman, we chatted, he was able to cut some $$ off of the shipping since it was going to my office, commercial delivery.

The product was scheduled for delivery about 40 days ago, they apologized and sent me a $75 gift certificate for my trouble, haven't used it yet.........It shipped this past Monday and arrived here just fine today, loaded it up and took it home at lunch.

Came in 4 boxes (table base, table top, chair, chair) and was packed well, a bit hard to cut through all of the wrapping plastic, but it was done well and there was no damage to the product.

The table base is very heavy cast iron, probably weighs around 60 pounds, really solid, goes up and down easily, locks in place, and was already assembled except for one leg, which I installed with the included bolts and hex wrench in just a few minutes. The top is nicely stained with a pretty decent finish on it, color as expected. The top has a steel structure underneath with a 3/4" threaded nipple which fit right into the threaded female hole in the top of the base spindle, about 10 or so revolutions of the top tightened it up nicely. The table is stable on its feet and the top has no wobble to it at all, even extended all of the way up as it is in the picture. It's a winner.

The chairs aren't quite as heavy as the table, but are sturdy. They came assembled except for the backs, which bolted right on with the included hardware and an open end wrench. They're wooden seats, so I wasn't really expecting the lap of luxury, but they are fairly comfortable.

Start to finish, unboxing, assembling and setting them in the room took about 30 minutes and was quite easy, although the table base is a bit awkward to move around. I'm fairly pleased with the product, it fits nicely in the room, physically and aesthetically, plenty of room to maneuver around and the chairs tuck up under the table pretty nicely.

I'll invite Mrs. JohnD in for a bottle tonite and we'll put it to the test...........

IMG_0830.jpg

It's been right at a year since I finished this project, I've really been loving the smell, feel, solitude, and efficiency of the room.

I spent a lot of time in there over the weekend, emptying and refilling barrels, and my last kit is in the one remaining "non MLB" barrel, and a bunch of grape wines are out. They're all tasting pretty solid, young and tannic, but tasty. I now have seven carboys ready for bottling between now and harvest.

No biggie, except that when those 210 bottles hit the racks, you guessed it, I'll be at bottle capacity. With nine full carboys waiting for barrels, 36 gallons still in barrels, and harvest around the corner, I'm in a tight spot.

Think I'll make grape wine this fall since I have carboy spaces available and start drinking a lot more wine........while contemplating an addition. Maybe add on to the front of some racks and go two bottles deep......

You are going to have to bite the bullet and get a couple of those Seville Racks for the hooch. Keep the commercial in your nice individual wood racks.

No biggie, except that when those 210 bottles hit the racks, you guessed it, I'll be at bottle capacity. With nine full carboys waiting for barrels, 36 gallons still in barrels, and harvest around the corner, I'm in a tight spot.

FA9420D6-8BB0-4767-88EC-C88B135F0B84.jpeg E582DDBB-02E2-42D1-AB79-8F9A55C73168.jpeg Pretty much come to the end of the “getting started” plan that kicked off several years back: “Make enough wine for it to be able to age”. I now have kits at 3 + yo, wine from grapes at 2 + yo, and lots of commercial stuff in the cellar, 4 full 6 gallon vadais, one full 12 gallon vadai, a full 30 gallon French barrel, 12 gallons Tempranillo waiting for the 12 gallon vadai, and 3 carboys of press and free run wine from Fall ‘17. The Bravado (my last kit) is 18 months old, still in carboy, and the Chilean Malbec is ready to bottle (almost 2 yo). Time to slow down.

Started today converting the top 7 carboy slots into wine bottle storage, and decided to attack the biggest storage issue I have, Burgundy bottles. You’d be hard pressed to find the few Pinot Noirs in my cellar, but most of my Zins and Petite Sirahs are in burgundy bottles as well. They don’t play nice, don’t fit in some slots for Bordeaux’s and don’t stack worth a crap in diamonds.

Converted over 2-1/2 of the slots this morning, and moved the pesky 2015 Turleys, freeing up several diamonds for my recent bottlings. I’ll just keep pecking away at it over the next few days, get the 14 Turleys moved, and still have room for the petite sirahs. It happened, pics to prove it!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back