Beginning a Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We like it as much work as it is, and we are now looking at 13 acres to put a winery building on. Might as well go all in. In PA, we are now (as a limited winery) allowed to sell any alcoholic beverage as long as its produced in PA. Distilled spirits, wine and beer, which sounds like a bar to me. We would like to do craft spirits and IPA beers and offer chocolates, gourmet pretzels and tapas as snacks, but that will require another license.

I currently farm 45 acres of organic blueberries in southeastern nc and I am looking at expanding my operation by hopefully 50 acres and also establishing a organic vineyard and a organic winery in the next few years. I have been looking at the needed permits from the state and federal gov. One question I did have is some one told me that each recipe had to be submitted to the FDA for approval before it was released. Is this true or were they doing a good job at confusing a newbie to the Commercial wine business?

No. Fruit wines are exempt (from what the TTB told me as even they were confused). each LABEL has to be approved from the TTB. I did do a step by step process on how I made my Cranberry Pomegranate wine, but that was just putting down the recipe and writing the steps. Not a big deal.

Let me know if you have an extra drum of blueberry juice. I'd be happy to buy a drum or so from you....

Ok that clears a lot of confusion up. Ill see what I can do about getting you some berries. I did read your thread on getting your label approved for your cranberry pomegranate wine. Sounds like its gonna be a long and drawn out process.

if your wine is a straight varietal or fruit no formula approval is required. if a blend is made or flavored wine is made a formula approval is required. in all cases the label must be approved. all approval come from the TTB. FDA involvement is once the winery is established periodic visits by the FDA rep will be made as wine is considered food and inspection of the premise is required. my experience in running a winery for 5 years.

some rule changes have occurred to reduce the burden so prudent reading of the regulations should occur, don't use gossip as your guide.

Does the TTB have the regulations in a format I can download and read? I've tried to find it on their page but it keeps popping up as site unavailable

if your wine is a straight varietal or fruit no formula approval is required. if a blend is made or flavored wine is made a formula approval is required. in all cases the label must be approved. all approval come from the TTB. FDA involvement is once the winery is established periodic visits by the FDA rep will be made as wine is considered food and inspection of the premise is required. my experience in running a winery for 5 years.

some rule changes have occurred to reduce the burden so prudent reading of the regulations should occur, don't use gossip as your guide.

Blends need no formula approval if blended pre-fermentation.

Mostly Muscadines. The research farm not far from me has a variety that they have been experimenting with and they say it's done well. Muscadines grow really well in my area. There are literally thousands of wild vines and there are several farms that grow them for a large winery here. About 40-50 miles north of me vinifera grows well. I actually today was given access to about three acres of them for free.

Last edited:
I've done some checking on this here in Columbus, Ohio. Rocky and I just went to a FOP yesterday and they also make and sells their own wine. I am also looking into opening an FOP for when I retire (or sooner). I know the license is fairly cheap, but I don't know what the availibility is. It sounded to me, that keeping the department of Health happy was the hard part.

I would like to do this in central Ohio also. Did you get your winery started?

Back