DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 gallons of "berry" and 6 gallons of "tropical" that I need to get bottled....

1492357760775.jpg

Although i can't confess to having read every post of these 407 pages (wow) i've read a hell of a lot of them. I love DB style wines, they're my drink of choice. My one gripe with the original recipe is the use of k-meta at the end of the primary rather than at the start. I've tried both methods and i've run into problems when the primary ferment is slow (for whatever reason). I've had way more success with adding it at the start, waiting 24 hours and then basically following the recipe procedures from there. Thoughts?

ps, if this has been covered in this gargantuan and wonderful thread already let me know and i'll read through it.

I have a batch of dragon's blood going right now. It's been fun reading through here and making notes as I go. Last night SG was 1.012 so we are getting close. I think this is day 8, slightly slower fermentation than others. My garage is not temp controlled and accidentally let the must temp drop down to 68 for a day. Oh well, yeast is still strong and bubbly.

I have a quick question - Would it be disrespectful to not call this Dragon's Blood if I decide to print labels? I live in Alaska and I found it fitting to call it "Bear Blood"

Leaving town here in a couple days. Hope I can get it degassed and into secondary before I do! Thanks for all the info in these 407+ pages! Good job Dave

Although i can't confess to having read every post of these 407 pages (wow) i've read a hell of a lot of them. I love DB style wines, they're my drink of choice. My one gripe with the original recipe is the use of k-meta at the end of the primary rather than at the start. I've tried both methods and i've run into problems when the primary ferment is slow (for whatever reason). I've had way more success with adding it at the start, waiting 24 hours and then basically following the recipe procedures from there. Thoughts?

ps, if this has been covered in this gargantuan and wonderful thread already let me know and i'll read through it.

I did actually read a response to this question.

Did you buy your fruit frozen from the grocery store? No need for K meta prior to primary

Is it fresh fruit? K meta needed before primary

I did actually read a response to this question.

Did you buy your fruit frozen from the grocery store? No need for K meta prior to primary

Is it fresh fruit? K meta needed before primary

Oh, that's interesting, thanks. I didnt know that made a difference. I do both, frozen and fresh (not in the one bucket) depends on whats in season and what isnt.

I never use frozen produce that has preservatives, just 100% fruit, so why exactly is there a difference?

So the freezing process actually kills wild yeast? Doesnt just cryogenically knock them out until warmed? i guess not...interesting

I made a "Cherry Cordial" wine using the dragon blood recipe. Just used dark pitted cherries instead of triple berry mix. Then back sweetened with chocolate liqueur. It's the most dangerous wine I've ever tasted, you can't taste the alcohol.

So the freezing process actually kills wild yeast? Doesnt just cryogenically knock them out until warmed? i guess not...interesting

I'm not sure on the science of it. I think in the first 20 pages it is addressed though. I'm no expert that's for sure!!

So I have a batch of db. Today it was at 1.002 in primary ( 9 days in primary). I am leaving town tomorrow for over a week... I know bad timing. I racked it into secondary. Do you think it will be fine? I didn't fully degas or add any sorbate/k meta as I want to ferment till dry. Thanks for any info.

If i were you i'd rack it to the secondary and sleep easy. If it doesnt finish off in a week from 1.002 i'd then use sorbate and be happy with a very slightly off-dry wine. But thats just me, more experienced hands may have a different view of it.

So I have a batch of db. Today it was at 1.002 in primary ( 9 days in primary). I am leaving town tomorrow for over a week... I know bad timing. I racked it into secondary. Do you think it will be fine? I didn't fully degas or add any sorbate/k meta as I want to ferment till dry. Thanks for any info.

It'll be just fine, enjoy your trip!

Got six gallons sitting in a carboy been clearing for about a week. I plan on giving it at least two weeks, but how can I tell when it's done clearing?

Got six gallons sitting in a carboy been clearing for about a week. I plan on giving it at least two weeks, but how can I tell when it's done clearing?

Shine your phone light behind it and get real close to see if there are any particles floating around. My six gallon cleared in three days, oddly, while my one gallon batch took a week and a half.

Shine your phone light behind it and get real close to see if there are any particles floating around. My six gallon cleared in three days, oddly, while my one gallon batch took a week and a half.

Thanks! So I put a flashlight behind it and when I looked in, there didn't seem to be any particles floating around. Does that mean it's as clear as itll get?

Thanks! So I put a flashlight behind it and when I looked in, there didn't seem to be any particles floating around. Does that mean it's as clear as itll get?

Go look at a commercial bottle of Rose wine. Your color might be a brighter red, but the clarity of that Rose is what you're after.

Latest posts

Back