Sanitizing solution confusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wade>Star san will last quite awhile

I use litmus paper to measure the PH of my Star San. If it's in the range of 3, it's still sanitizing strength. How long Star San stays at sanitizing strength varies from container to container to spray bottle, etc.

You should look into Ecolox natural sanitizers, they are about 100 times more efficient than bleach, but so safe that if ingested it will cause no harm to humans.
Ecolox 240 is an in-situ system that will produce a very strong sanitizer made by only water, table salt and electricity.

I'm struggling with this issue myself.
I found a supplier offering Potassium Metabisulfite in a strength that require 1 tbsp per gallon for sanitizing, and 1/8 tsp per gallon as a must additive.
Campden tablets are Potassium Metabisulfite, also. I notice ALL instructions say to crush up the tablets before dissolving.
Question is: why would Campden tablets be used in preference to the powder? Convenience? Safety in handling (re: comment above about inhaling dust)?

Tablets are used for one reason - Simplicity. For small batches measuring the correct amount of powered k-meta would be very difficult without a digital scale and even then - it takes a little time. (ECKraus directions for Potasium Bisulfate calls for 1/16 tsp for one gallon to pre-treat before fermentation)* Tablets are pre-measured and most beginners, like myself with 2 years of wine making, find the tablets one less measurement to keep straight (Teaspoon or tablespoon?). Seems like every month someone is asking for help when they overdose their batch with something.

So - as long as you are making larger batches or don't mind the time to measure with a scale, the powder K-Metabisulfate or K-bisulfate means just one product for all 3 uses.

Here are the directions on the ECKraus site:

ABOUT THIS PRODUCT: (PS150) Potassium Bisulfite is a granulated powder that release sulfur dioxide when dissolved in a liquid. It is added in small doses directly to fresh juices 24 hour before adding yeast. This is to destroy any wild molds and bacteria that may have been on the fruit. Potassium Bisulfite is also used in stronger doses with water as an equipment sanitizer. You can use it to sanitize fermenting vessels, hydrometers, wine bottles, hoses or any other glass, metal, plastic or wood that comes into contact with your wine. Each 1/16 teaspoon of Potassium Bisulfite and will impart approximately 75 parts-per-million (p.p.m.) of sulfur dioxide (SO2) to each gallon of wine. Each gram will impart 238 p.p.m. to each gallon of liquid. Use our Campden Tablet Measurer to measure 1/16 of a teaspoon. Comes with complete directions.

TO PURIFY JUICE: Add one 1/16 teaspoon of Potassium Bisulfite per each gallon of juice, or for each 8 pounds of crushed fruit. Pre-dissolve in a small amount of water before adding to the juice. Allow the juice to ventilate in an open container for 24 yours before adding yeast. For over-ripe and potentially moldy fruits, double the dosage.

TO SANITIZE EQUIPMENT: All equipment should be cleaned with soapy water first. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of Potassium Bisulfite per each gallon of water. Also add 1/2 teaspoon of Citric Acid. Sanitize fermentation vessels by putting in 2 to 3 inches of solution in the bottom of the vessel. Seal the vessel air-tight for 20 minutes to allow the fumes from the solution to permeate the inside walls. You can also put in the vessel other equipment such as hoses, hydrometer, air-locks, rubber stoppers to be sanitized at the same time.

AT BOTTLING TIME: Add 1/16 teaspoon per each gallon of wine to preserve its color and flavor. Pre-dissolve in a small amount of the wine first. Potassium Sorbate is also recommended at this time to eliminate re-fermentation. Bottle immediately after adding.

NOTE: I use shot glasses and the end of a wooden utensil for crushing and dissolving my Campden tablet and pre-dissolving other small quantity items. So I keep at least 3 shot glasses around. And of course if you can get different shaped shot glasses that helps keep separated the different chemicals you might pre-measure.

Last edited:
Take a look at Ecolox 240it is a compact on site system that can produce all the disinfectant that you will need at a very low cost.
We lease out the systems for $175 a month!

Tablets are used for one reason - Simplicity. For small batches measuring the correct amount of powered k-meta would be very difficult without a digital scale and even then - it takes a little time. (ECKraus directions for Potasium Bisulfate calls for 1/16 tsp for one gallon to pre-treat before fermentation)* Tablets are pre-measured and most beginners, like myself with 2 years of wine making, find the tablets one less measurement to keep straight (Teaspoon or tablespoon?). Seems like every month someone is asking for help when they overdose their batch with something.

So - as long as you are making larger batches or don't mind the time to measure with a scale, the powder K-Metabisulfate or K-bisulfate means just one product for all 3 uses.

Here are the directions on the ECKraus site:

ABOUT THIS PRODUCT: (PS150) Potassium Bisulfite is a granulated powder that release sulfur dioxide when dissolved in a liquid. It is added in small doses directly to fresh juices 24 hour before adding yeast. This is to destroy any wild molds and bacteria that may have been on the fruit. Potassium Bisulfite is also used in stronger doses with water as an equipment sanitizer. You can use it to sanitize fermenting vessels, hydrometers, wine bottles, hoses or any other glass, metal, plastic or wood that comes into contact with your wine. Each 1/16 teaspoon of Potassium Bisulfite and will impart approximately 75 parts-per-million (p.p.m.) of sulfur dioxide (SO2) to each gallon of wine. Each gram will impart 238 p.p.m. to each gallon of liquid. Use our Campden Tablet Measurer to measure 1/16 of a teaspoon. Comes with complete directions.

TO PURIFY JUICE: Add one 1/16 teaspoon of Potassium Bisulfite per each gallon of juice, or for each 8 pounds of crushed fruit. Pre-dissolve in a small amount of water before adding to the juice. Allow the juice to ventilate in an open container for 24 yours before adding yeast. For over-ripe and potentially moldy fruits, double the dosage.

TO SANITIZE EQUIPMENT: All equipment should be cleaned with soapy water first. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of Potassium Bisulfite per each gallon of water. Also add 1/2 teaspoon of Citric Acid. Sanitize fermentation vessels by putting in 2 to 3 inches of solution in the bottom of the vessel. Seal the vessel air-tight for 20 minutes to allow the fumes from the solution to permeate the inside walls. You can also put in the vessel other equipment such as hoses, hydrometer, air-locks, rubber stoppers to be sanitized at the same time.

AT BOTTLING TIME: Add 1/16 teaspoon per each gallon of wine to preserve its color and flavor. Pre-dissolve in a small amount of the wine first. Potassium Sorbate is also recommended at this time to eliminate re-fermentation. Bottle immediately after adding.

NOTE: I use shot glasses and the end of a wooden utensil for crushing and dissolving my Campden tablet and pre-dissolving other small quantity items. So I keep at least 3 shot glasses around. And of course if you can get different shaped shot glasses that helps keep separated the different chemicals you might pre-measure.

I have less than $400.00 invested in equipment. Leasing a system??? You are looking for commercial wine makers not most of the folks on here.

Latest posts

Back