What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have taken 5 or 6 classes here.. https://www.folkschool.org/

My wife had suggested taking folk art classes for our vacation. I initially thought she was nuts! She went on to suggest blacksmithing..

HMMM, I thought, Anvil... Yellow Hot Steel.... and a 3 lb hammer???
It took a while, but I definitely saw the appeal!!!

I have been hooked ever since. The only reason that I an not actively smithing is that my other "Hobby" sucks up all of my time and money...

We spoke about taking additional classes this summer. I may take 2, one for blacksmithing and one for wood turning (wood turning is also pretty cool. I have taken 3 or 4 classes in that).

Anvil, I lucked out, I have been looking for an anvil, or a chunk of RR track for a year.
one day, I was driving along, I notice 4 trucks with train wheels
parked by the RR tracks and a group of men looked like supervisors
in a huddle. I pulled up to them,
yelled out the window.
HEY!!! where can a fella get 'bout 2' of that RR track to use as an Anvil ?

one of the guys, said drop your tail gate.
He set a 2' chunk in the back,
said, " I dont know you, you dont know me, "

anvils are high dollar items.

It's Friday and I actually did something other than just make some pizza and drink wine. Bottled the 3 gallon batch of my Concord/Niagara/Blueberry wine. Started 1-17-15, my third batch ever (I'm up to #24). My wife loves it. It's "meh" to me, needs more body (aka blueberries).

Now I have to so some research for a real blueberry batch. Thinking about 8-10 lbs of frozen per gallon. Not sure what the base will be, if one is even needed at all.

It's Saturday and my daughter needed to be at the school at 5:30 AM, so I got up early (this is usually my one sleep late day (late = 7 am)) and just decided to stay up and make the best of it.

So far I have racked and degassed and racked again three batches, took half of my Sauv Blanc batch and started the process of force carbonating it. Hopefully it will get cold around here by New Years Eve so I can get as much pressure into it as my regulator will let me (only goes up to 30 psi).

Still have two to rack and 1/2 of one to bottle (doing the Bordeaux mix from this spring, some as is, leaving the other to bulk age and might add some extra tannins).

Also making the "daily" bread, got the GF loaf done, now working on a light wheat loaf. Might have to go to the grocery store and find something to grill, starting to look real nice out, temps are supposed to hit 60*F. I see two really nice fat squirrels out the window, hmmm, maybe some grilled squirrel over charcoal, now what to marinate them in...hmmm.

I might get so much done I can actually make beer tomorrow, woo hoo!

Today is our annual neighborhood "Round Robin" party, so I am cooking up some hors d'oeuvres. I just got done making a baker's dozen of spicy deviled eggs ("Deviled deviled eggs" ::).

I am also going to make some cheesy pastry puffs (Gougères), and some deep-fried artichoke hearts with truffle oil and Parmesan. Yum!

Hike with the Scouts, son's basketball game and a neighborhood white elephant party. For some strange reason, I'm wide awake. Kicking back and watching Point Break.

I made some Sriracha Deviled Eggs a while back and they were a HUGE hit!

Sriracha was, indeed, my deviling agent of choice!

Here is the recipe I followed (using Sriracha where chile paste is called for): https://books.google.com/books?id=NHPQ1mkbp3YC&lpg=PA817&ots=2onynvZg1T&dq=new%20basics%20cookbook%20deviled%20deviled%20eggs&pg=PA27#v=onepage&q=new%20basics%20cookbook%20deviled%20deviled%20eggs&f=false

I also squirted a healthy dab of Sriracha on top of the eggs. It was a big hit!

So today, I put the finish coat on 10 of my chef knives that are going in the mail tomorrow. Brought home a new puppy for the kids to meet, not ready to bring home for good yet, Jan 6 is bring home day, but we were able to bring it home for a few hours.
Also bottled 5 gallons of apple, and 5 gallons of Valpolicella.

Rain is supposed to roll in around noon-1:00, day off of work so I'm heading out to try and kick up some birds this am. Also got up early to make my wife breakfast...

Bought tickets for Star Wars. I'm off next week, so the Boatboy family is headed to the movies on Tuesday.

I am hoping to go this Thursday evening with a few guys from work!
I don't want any spoiler info which is one of the reasons for going Thursday.
It's obvious what the real reason is though...:db

Steve

I am hoping to go this Thursday evening with a few guys from work!
I don't want any spoiler info which is one of the reasons for going Thursday.
It's obvious what the real reason is though...:db

Steve

I bought tickets a month ago to see Star Wars on Friday night, even then it was almost sold out.

I bought tickets a month ago to see Star Wars on Friday night, even then it was almost sold out.

I had been thinking it'd be weeks before I went to see it. On a whim, I looked at tickets and sho' 'nuff, they were readily available (during the day - not sure what the evening shows will be like). Nice thing is, we have reserved seats, so no hunting around for a decent spot. And that theater has a $6 matinee special on Tuesdays that I didn't even know about. Seeing a movie for under ten bucks around here at any time of day is practically unheard of.

I had been thinking it'd be weeks before I went to see it. On a whim, I looked at tickets and sho' 'nuff, they were readily available (during the day - not sure what the evening shows will be like). Nice thing is, we have reserved seats, so no hunting around for a decent spot. And that theater has a $6 matinee special on Tuesdays that I didn't even know about. Seeing a movie for under ten bucks around here at any time of day is practically unheard of.

I actually just looked when I booked and it was 10/21. I was hoping for iMax, but was sold out as was the preferred/reserve seating. So we are GA on Friday night, however still looking forward to it. But, the theatre is only 2 years old so not a bad seat and they serve alcohol, so a glass of wine or 2 will certainly happen. The wife is less than excited to go but the wine should help her lack of enthusiasm.

Last edited:
I just got back from visiting a friend from our men's group who is starting the long recovery from a really nasty disease, which I had never heard of until last week (Guillan-Barre syndrome). When I was writing my name in the visitors log, I noticed a name and some familiar hand writing before my entry.

I'll just say his name is Brian, and I can't remember the last time I saw him, after college I'm sure and unless he was at our 10th year high school reunion, I can't really remember when. He moved back up into my general area to retire with his wife (life is good) and I haven't been in touch (four kids will do that).

The room number was across the hall from where I was visiting so I glanced in the room but the curtain was closed. So I went ahead with my visit and when I left 45 minutes or so later I got on the elevator with this family. Wasn't real sure yet, but when he spoke to his wife I did recognize the voice.

Now they didn't recognize me, because I am now sporting a full beard and about 50 more pounds (he was supporting more bulk too). So when we got outside, I walked up and said I think I remember you from....then it hit him who I was. We had a real nice "mini" reunion outside of the facility, but they had to go visit his mom and I had to get home to pick up my daughter, but he did give me his card and I've sent my info and kids picture from Thanksgiving with an invite to come sample some of my new hobby.

Small world sometimes. I just knew I was being pulled to go visit my buddy from church for some reason!

Latest posts

Back