Sweet Tea Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you are saying I need to use some southern patience for my southern sweet tea wine! That's a tough one! On the bright side, I so have a plum that is almost fermented dry now!

I started my sweet tea wine on 4/28 and knowing that it fermented slow I added some yeast energizer in the beginning. As of today the SG is at 1.000 I will rack it off Tuesday when I have a chance.

I started my sweet tea wine on 4/28 and knowing that it fermented slow I added some yeast energizer in the beginning. As of today the SG is at 1.000 I will rack it off Tuesday when I have a chance.

What was your recipe? My sweet tea is still fermenting extremely slow. I started it on 4/21 at 1.09 SG and I just checked it and I'm at 1.06 SG. My temp is running around 74 degrees. Thanks for any help!

Here is the recipe I'm thinking about for a 5 gallon batch,
5 giant tea bags (directions say 1 per gallon on box)
Sugar to SG 1.09
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp acid blend
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed campden tablet
Yeast thinking EC1118
Water to a little over 5 gallons

Thought???

JSquared, I used this recipe base plus one extra tea bag and I used the manufacturer recommended amount of yeast energizer. I am making a 6 gallon batch since I had a 5 gallon carboy available and I racked the extra gallon into a 1 gallon carboy to use for topping up. My OG was 1.070 temp 72°. I made this weak so I could drink more of it on a hot summer day. :b

Last edited:
Are you stirring it very well twice a day? EC-1118 should be chugging along through that.

I have probably been a little lazy with the stirring, it's been a busy few weeks! I added 2 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient tonight. I'll be more diligent about stirring and see if that helps too. Thanks for the advise from everyone!! It had only dropped from 1.06 to 1.058 from yesterday to today. Ugh, it's slow!

The added nutrient I think was a good idea, because there isn't any fruit in there, it may also be lacking in trace nutrients maybe, if it doesn't take off.

I have some old recipies, for tea wine, from books, which ill dig out and add at the end.

its my understanding that yeast requires trace nutrients, vitamin b1 I think is one of them, normal yeast nutrient I think is based on the fact you will be adding some fruit.

Some of the guys who understand the science a bit better might churp in.

but, I suspect that's why it is fermenting so slowly, if it continues to do so, after the extra nutrients, try adding a litre of either grape or apple juice, from concentrate, not for the sugar etc, it should add trace nutrients, which comes from fruit, but, will alter the flavour very little, due to the small amount, if it perks up you will be able to judge its effects, from there.

But, both grape and apple contain all the essential stuff, for a good ferment, including trace nutrients.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise, I had a can of frozen Apple juice concentrate in the freezer so I added it to my fermenter. Even if it has some residual Apple flavor, I think that it would pair nicely with the sweet tea. I'll keep everyone posted on my slow fermentation.

hopefully it will perk up, ill add the old recipies I have, to the above post when I can get around to it.

Update..I started my sweet tea wine back on 4/20 as of today it has been sitting, since 6/5, at 1.005. I'm wondering if the fermentation has stopped. I've added yeast energizer twice and yeast nutrient once during the fermentation to keep it moving. Any ideas??

I'm thinking about racking it to a carboy tonight and calling it done.

I had a grapefruit wine that I couldn't get past 1.004. I ended up just stabilizing and it's bulk aging since February.

I ended up racking to a carboy at 1.005 and I'm waiting on it to clear now. Once it clears, I'm planning to back sweeten to a nice southern sweet tea and then sample it!

Latest posts

Back