What does bentonite do again?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bentonite
A fining agent made of clay and used primarily for clearing white wines of sediment remaining in suspension.
Not the best description of bentonite that I have seen. For one thing, it is also used in some red wines. It's primary use is removing protein haze.

Kit manufacturers recommend that it be used pre fermentation because the lift provided by CO2 helps it to circulate thru the must/wine, thus requiring less bentonite. It also provides nucleation points for the yeast during fermentation.

I believe that bentonite conflicts with something used with grapes...perhaps pectic enzyme??

Steve

Steve is right in the fact that these 2 should not be added at the same time and should be 12 hours apart.

Just add another 1/2 of what you added after 12 hours hours. Pectic enzyme will settle out so too much isnt really possible unless you dump the whole bottle in and even then it probably wouldnt do anything. I dont think it renders all ofn the enzymes useless but probably does burry some.

Just add another 1/2 of what you added after 12 hours hours. Pectic enzyme will settle out so too much isnt really possible unless you dump the whole bottle in and even then it probably wouldnt do anything. I dont think it renders all ofn the enzymes useless but probably does burry some.

Thanks!
:br

Latest posts

Back