Vineco Cheeky Monkey Cabern-EH: Thumbs up or down?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiddall

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a barrel but don't yet have plans to make enough to keep it filled -- especially early on when things get over-oaked so quickly.

One suggestion from @bzac was to ferment a lower-end kit in the barrel to break it in. I was at my LHBS and noticed the Cheeky Monkey LE Cabern-EH for $80. I like big dry reds, and some pretty nice wines come out of the Okanagan so this sounds like it could be great. The only thing is that my first (and only) low end kit was a WE Mezza Luna Red which at a year is still not good. I really don't want another 30 bottles of that kind of thing.

So, what is everyone's thought. If I get it will I end up with 30 bottles of a decent early drinking Cabernet Sauvignon or 30 more bottles of topping up/cooking wine?

Before I started to make my own wine I would get that at the wine on premise stores, it's not the best wine but it's not terrible either, I would drink it within 3-6 months, it just is a little thin for a cab

Before I started to make my own wine I would get that at the wine on premise stores, it's not the best wine but it's not terrible either, I would drink it within 3-6 months, it just is a little thin for a cab

Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify, Cabern-EH is one of the limited edition kits this year. I don't think it has been out very long so perhaps no one has made one of these yet. Still, I have heard good things about other Cheeky Money LE kits so I expect this should be better than the standard cabernet.

Latest posts

Back