Sweet Tea Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSquared

Reaction score
Has anyone made a successful sweet tea wine? Being from the south and from the city that is home to Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka, sweet tea is a big deal. I am interested in trying to make a sweet tea wine. I did try a white zen that was flavored w black tea extract from a winery. It had a very nice flavor but I'm interested in fermenting the tea. Any thoughts?

How much tea did you use? I am shooting for a 5 gallon batch and I have the giant tea bags you get from SAMs that you use 1 to make a gallon of tea.

Sweet Tea Wine !!!!!!! now that is one we will be trying this summer ,,,, Sweet Tea Wine ,,,,,, what tea would be best ???? green ?? black ??? herbal ???????? mint ??? green or black mint ????

Here is the recipe I'm thinking about for a 5 gallon batch,
5 giant tea bags (directions say 1 per gallon on box)
Sugar to SG 1.09
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp acid blend
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed campden tablet
Yeast thinking EC1118
Water to a little over 5 gallons

Thought???

I was on the fence about 5 or 6 giant tea bags so thanks for the advice, I'll change it to 6! I think I'm gonna throw it together in the fermenter tonight! It's getting warm in the south!

I'll keep ya'll posted on mine, I pitched the yeast yesterday! I'm also thinking you could add raspberry extract for a raspberry tea or orange or lemon! So many teas!

I'll keep ya'll posted on mine, I pitched the yeast yesterday! I'm also thinking you could add raspberry extract for a raspberry tea or orange or lemon! So many teas!

Now you've got me interested. I bet a nice raspberry infused tea would be a great hot summer day drink...might use and f-pack instead of the extract, slightly off dry. Wonder how long it will take to age a tea wine? Never attempted one in my young career.

was just thinking .... there should be very little settlement , so it should clear fast ,,,, thats a plus .... :b

The liquid is a bit cloudy, the yeast seemed to cloud the water as it started to get active but there is very little real solids in the must.

Hmmm......I may have to do a sweet tea wine as one of my WOTM club wines.

Tea wine....and I'm in Texas....this could make the next BBQ very interesting...

I may have to do a sweet tea wine as well. Like craig I think a raspberry f-Pac would be nice.

Advise guys... This is my tea wine that I started and it doesn't seem to be fermenting very well. 6 gallon sized tea bags steeped an hour, 5 tsps yeast nutrient, 5 tsps acid blend, 2 1/2 tsps pectic enzyme, 1 crushed campden tablet and 27 cups of sugar.... Pitched EC1118 on 4/21 with SG of 1.09 here are my readings so far...
4/23 SG 1.084 74 degrees
4/25. SG 1.082 74 degrees
4/26. SG 1.080 76 degrees
It has a foam cap every time I check it but almost stalled fermentation, any ideas??

Latest posts

Back