How to Fill a Wine Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinividivici

Reaction score
Yeah, really basic! We bottled our first ever batch of wine a couple of weeks ago. The bottles were a collection of various sizes from everywhere. Most were 750 ml, but on some the necks were long and others shorter.

So, using my floor corker for the first time and getting used to that, about 97% of the bottles were corked just fine (mostly as a result of a little excess spraying out at compression).

But, some had a small air space of 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch. I'm drinking those first.

On the Wine Toy Maker's Store, there's a Ferrari bottle filler that looks like it would work. Comments? Suggestions on others? I'm only doing 30 bottles at a time for each batch, so I don't need a $300 system! :D

Cheers!
Bob

Yeah, really basic! We bottled our first ever batch of wine a couple of weeks ago. The bottles were a collection of various sizes from everywhere. Most were 750 ml, but on some the necks were long and others shorter.

So, using my floor corker for the first time and getting used to that, about 97% of the bottles were corked just fine (mostly as a result of a little excess spraying out at compression).

But, some had a small air space of 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch. I'm drinking those first.

On the Wine Toy Maker's Store, there's a Ferrari bottle filler that looks like it would work. Comments? Suggestions on others? I'm only doing 30 bottles at a time for each batch, so I don't need a $300 system! :D

Cheers!
Bob

I and other mods like the Boun Vino bottle filler. I/we feel you will like it better
$ 30 something

If wine is spraying out when you cork, then I think your bottles are too full. You want a bit of air space in the bottles so temperature changes don't cause your corks to move in the neck of the bottle (air is compressible, wine is not).

Perhaps I misunderstood something...

I use one of those bottle filler wands - they're about five bucks.

Owned the Ferrari, skip it, piece o junk. Leaked and wouldn't shut off for nothing. Go with the Buon Vino. Make sure to rinse it well with water afterwards.

I and other mods like the Boun Vino bottle filler. I/we feel you will like it better
$ 30 something

Owned the Ferrari, skip it, piece o junk. Leaked and wouldn't shut off for nothing. Go with the Buon Vino. Make sure to rinse it well with water afterwards.

I agree with these guys. For the $$ the Boun Vino Filler is the way to go. Like Mike said rinse well with clean water when finished. Rinse with a sanitizer before using. Do not use a kmeta sanitizer after use as it will corrode the bearings if left in it (personal experience).

Yup - i use the Buon vino as well. If you have a vacuum pump you can hook it up to that as well. Works pretty good with that.

The way I understood your post you were filling them right to the bottom of the cork?? You shouldn't have wine spraying out when you insert the cork. Make sure you have 3/4 inch or so space between wine and cork.
:a1

I agree with everything above especially the part where you really want about 1" of space "Ullage" under your cork! Im guessing you are just filling from a hose or spout? At minimum use a spring filling wand and youll get accurate filled bottles as that cheap little thing leaves the correct amount of space between you wine and the cork.
http://www.finevinewines.com/p-978-4861.aspx
or even better the Boun Vino auto filler like recommended.
http://www.finevinewines.com/p-945-4887.aspx

Matters of Space

So I was probably filling them the correct way at first when I had some air space between the cork and the wine! LOL

I was filling with the spigot on the bucket, which actually worked quite well.

When I brewed beer and filled those bottles, I used the spring-loaded filling wand. Is that what you were referring to Wade? Do you have to back off the spring tension to get to the right level in the bottle or does this thing "know" when to stop?

Bob

Yes, that wand is exactly what Im talking about. You fill with that until the bottle is filled all the way then when you pull it out you have the perfect fill as the filler itself takes up the rest of the volume!

Yes, that wand is exactly what Im talking about. You fill with that until the bottle is filled all the way then when you pull it out you have the perfect fill as the filler itself takes up the rest of the volume!

Right! Now I remember the beer bottle process. Thanks!

Filling wine bottles is different than filling beer bottles. Wine bottles should be filled to the shoulder leaving 3/4" below the cork.

Filling wine bottles is different than filling beer bottles. Wine bottles should be filled to the shoulder leaving 3/4" below the cork.

Aw, come on Tom! :p

Now I'm back to square one. LOL

Some of the bottles are tall and slender and the others are standard 750 ml size. Is the wand sized for just the normal 750 ml bottles or can it reach the bottom of the tall ones and still displace the right amount when removed?

Bob

Thats why we (most mods) suggest to get the Boun Vino Bottle Filler. It's automatic and much faster.
Did I say cheap? Around $35

That filler works perfect for wine bottles. Trust me, I used it for a few years before i went to the Boun Vino and now stepped up again. Beer bottles need the same amount of room to get proper carbonation in there, not enough room and you have poor carbonation unless you are dispensing pre carbonated cold beer into the bottle! I do agree though that the filler Tom and Dan are speaking of is way easier! Its why I stepped up from the wand to that but the wand is way better then just using a hose or spout as far as leaving the right amount in each bottle.

I recommend the enolmatic electric bottle filler.Works great the perfect fill every time.Even if your doing 30 bottles at a time its worth the money.No back breaking lifting carboys or demi-jons to tables and bending down to fill bottles.

Aw, come on Tom! :p

Some of the bottles are tall and slender and the others are standard 750 ml size. Is the wand sized for just the normal 750 ml bottles or can it reach the bottom of the tall ones and still displace the right amount when removed?

Bob

Yes, the wand displaces the right of wine for any size bottle. I have used it on 375ml to magnums, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Bellissima and Port. The only problem is with extremely deeply punted bottles. With those you have to balance the want on top of the punt to get the spring to retract. It's hard to explain but I love the very heavy thick glass, deeply punted bottles best. So I have gotten decent at balancing the want on the top of some punts.

BTW I have the Farrari thing . . . it's merda.

Latest posts

Back