Congratulations Pennsylvania!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Free the Grapes!

13336003_10153777149499422_7103476482251337414_n.jpg

Congratulations Pennsylvania! Today, the legislature passed House Bill 1690, which is expected to be signed by Governor Wolf. The “modernization” bill primarily concerns the sale of wine and beer in grocery stores and restaurants, and keeps the state stores. But it also includes winery direct shipping provisions which, if signed, will go into effect in 60 days. The new statute would bring PA into the 21st Century, allowing U.S. wineries to receive a state-issued direct shipping license, to ship up to 36 cases per consumer per year, and to pay excise and sales taxes, among other provisions. These are similar to provisions working successfully in the majority of states. A heartfelt toast to all of you who have written your legislators over the last several years. Thank you, PA!

I don't think it will happen, the governor will lose to many union votes. It would be nice if it happens:h

Someday I dream of rational laws across the union that let small wineries be. My hopes are with you PA.

I recognize that unions, COSTCO, and every business has an interest in the rules. But, the rules should not serve any niche, but all. It took years to rework our laws here in Washington, but the growth in the small business since has been great, INMO.

How could this Bill hurt the Unions? Please explain.

By bleeding away the convenience market (e.g. those that are out buying wine for tonight's dinner) from the state store (the only game in town) to grocery stores (who typically sell with pennies' thin profit margin) it will impact the profitability of the system. Most state stores are already not profitable due to the system's inability to obtain product at a decent price; and extraordinarily high administrative and workforce costs.

The unions see this as the beginning of the end for them... The slow, painful death of their own choosing. The tiny string that pulls apart the whole sweater.

Last edited:
It's not over until the fat lady sings! The state stores are making a high margin on what they sell from the wineries. They have very strict guidelines and are difficult to get your product into them. Employees are all state unionized employees making a ton of money being cashiers and stocking shelves.

In Pennsylvania all wine and liquor is sold by state owned stores, all of the employees are state employees that are members of the state union. By signing this bill he will be taking work away from the state union ( big time suporters of Dem governor ) it would be putting a nail in the state run system. Don't get me wrong, i live in Pa. And would LOVE to see the state completely out of the booze business with it run by free enterprise with no quotes of licensees and a low 1 time license fee. If it does pass they will make it VERY hard for stores to get the license or to comply with the law. This is Pennsylvania we are talking about after all:rdo

Arkansas laws have not changed since before prohibition. There is a small winery in Door county Wisconsin that I like their blueberry wine, and their pinot Grisio. There is another in the UP of Michigan that I love their honey peach wine. The problem is that I get them, unless I go there buy them and drive back to Arkansas.. The laws here are such that you can not have alcohol shipped to your house, or business from out of state unless you are a licensed distributor, and it is shipped from your distributor. So, I can go to a winery, distillery or brewery in the state of Arkansas and have whatever shipped to my house, but have to be at the location when the items are purchased. I can't call and get it shipped, have to be there physically. Silly. I think it limits the craft makers. They normally have the good stuff anyway, but it is harder for them to distribute.. Instate anyway, they can ship out of state all they want. crazy.

I live in an area in PA that many businesses still abide by the blue laws. We are so behind the times. At times I think I see Eddie Haskell drive past my house. :)

My fingers are crossed. We publish a publication for the State that have among other things the Governor's vetos, had a lot of them lately. Like I said, fingers and toes crossed on this one!

Virginia has Beer/Wine available in grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations (though I believe there are limits to the hours they can be sold - ie: not after 2am and before 6am or something). We also have state run stores that sell liquor and wine. A lot (maybe all) of the grocery employees here are union, so if union jobs were impacted by letting grocery stores sell beer and wine, they were probably just moved to grocery chains. Overall, I wouldn't see a net loss here for anyone other than potentially in state wineries who now have other states shipping wine into VA. But the VA wine industry seems to be doing very well, so I don't think that was an issue.

The fat lady hasn't even entered the stadium for PA on this one, but I hope she's singing soon.

Let just keep the focus here on changing an archaic wine law that needs to go and not start talking about politics in general and we should be fine.

WA State amended their law several years ago and closed down the State run liquor stores and the sky didn't fall nor did DUI go out of control with more options. WA State had a couple of things going for them that unfortunately PA doesn't and that is a HUGE rapidly expanding Wine Industry as well as being the Corporate headquarters for a small business named Costco. You could already buy beer and wine in Costco and Grocery stores you just couldn't purchase liquor in a Costco or Safeway etc and now you can.

I want the fine people of PA to have unlimited options when it comes to wine and I want them to be able to join a wine club from an out of State winery and have it sent to them like the rest of the USA can do.

Would you agree?

Communism = having the only choice of a store owned by the government that has no fear of competition. The state tells you what you can purchase and for how much..

--- please remove this if too political ---

For the good of the order - the Governor indicated that he will sign the legislation. If done correctly, wine will be available in licensed areas in grocery stores (those that have restaurant licenses and a wine-to-go permit) and at bars and restaurants. Currently, there are about 160 grocery stores with these type of licenses in PA. I anticipate that hundreds (or as many as a thousand) more grocery stores will join in. Consumers may purchase as many as four bottles in a single transaction.

Look for this to really start showing itself just before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Envious. Still waiting for the big liquor lobby money to get out of the way in Tennessee politics. I will be dead by then, I am sure...

I have run business plan numbers three ways to Sunday, but in a state where the only place you can sell your wine is on your own premises, a winery is a retirement money pit for rich folks, or a business tax dodge for rich folks. I ain't rich. Gotta see black numbers, not the red ones...

Attn: Pennsylvania.......

Done!

PA is now the 44th state to allow winery-to-consumer shipping. Gov. Wolf signed HB 1690 today, bringing expanded consumer choice in wine to PA!

The bill is effective in 60 days but gives the state and wineries some time to issue and receive required DTC licenses.

Thanks to all of you who wrote letters and supported the cause! It worked!

Free the Grapes!

Last edited:
Back