What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some very small adjustments on the remaining 2015's the other day (Petite Sirah and a PS/Cab/Syrah/Zin) - adding 1/4 of the tartaric I calculated I wanted. The blend's pH came down exactly as I expected, but the PS hardly moved at all. Both were notably improved (though already good). Put a little bit of oak into them and will let that sit for about two weeks. I'll test the pH on the Petite Sirah again and might add just a little more acid. Otherwise, they'll be good to bottle. Also kicked off chromatography on all 4 spring chileans and 4 fall CA wines. Pretty sure the CA's are done - the Chileans, well we won't go there. ;) Though the Carm was showing a lot of bubbles over a few week period a month or so ago. This is my last test on them and I'll sulfite the Carm and Merlot (Syrah and Cab are in barrels and have been sulfited). Also tasted all 4 Californians and am fairly excited at where they are. I tested pH as well. pH on the Syrah was 4.2, but I'm still getting a fair amount of CO2, so I'm hoping that is just throwing it off. The others were consistent with where they started. If all goes well with the Chromo, I'll rack and sulfite tomorrow or Sunday.

I also tasted the LR 3 Country Cab. I added about 2 gallons of spent Cab skins from the fall batch to it. The grape skin addition is noticeable, but after tasting several wines from grapes, it was still clear it is a kit. Some tannin and barrel aging and I think I'll have a pretty good wine though.

Last edited:
Insurance contractor/adjustor just left. Recommending repair/replace/paint of the damaged drywall on walls and ceilings. And in order to keep everything matched, painting of the rest of the rooms where the damage occurred. So potentially, a little less than half the 1st floor will be painted. Even though the hardwood floors are dry now, there is some cupping in areas. It is 5/8" prefinished solid oak flooring. And it covers the entire first floor, with the exception of the powder room. He says since it is prefinished, and at least 7-8 years old, not likely they will find the same flooring, much less matching exactly. So he is recommending full replacement. He is the insurance company's contractor and says they go along with his recommendation 95% of the time. We will see, but we may be getting new hardwood floors.

Remediation company has had blowers/fans in here since the 'incident'. It sounds like the runway at Dulles Airport, but a lot of it will be coming out today. These guys are pretty amazing though. We've been staying at my parents' the last few nights because it is so loud in here.

So far, what felt like a disaster initially is turning out OK. Looks like all we'll be out for is our deductible and a few hundred for the plumber. Can't complain about that. And I can't say enough about USAA. Thankfully, I've only had to use them one other time for a small car accident about 20 years ago. But from the moment you call them, they are on it and really take care of things.

Sitting in the deer stand with my little buddy. Weather was warm yesterday afternoon, but we managed to harvest an old buck, his first one for the wall. I wanted him to wait for a better deer, but he was having none of that, perfect shot and a quick exit for the old boy. 210 pound 8 point, heavy rack, the rut is on here in north Mississippi, just waiting for a front to turn these 60's to 30's.
I don't read this thread often, but just had to comment on this. That smile is just tremendous. When I was his age, I know you couldn't have talked me out of that shot either. The day will come when he can see the wisdom of letting one like that walk, but all things considered, he'd have to be a robot to pass him up. Plus, I don't think an old boy like that would have gotten much bigger anyway. The mass on those main beams is impressive. Congratulations all around!

Last edited:
Starting late, but it's time to make the beer. Making a Märzen type beer for my wife, which I will keep a secret if she doesn't read this post. Using my newly founded favorite Avangard malt, hoping the pilsner and speciality malts are as good as the pale malt I used this past Monday. It's 19*F here, so running the wort chiller may be a challenge. At least it isn't as windy as they had forecast, yet. Those outside temperatures are keeping my basement on the cool side, so it's lager yeast at 57*F (top of range), hoping that it doesn't ferment into a tootie-fruity Märzen.

I have had good results just putting the fermenting bucket into a large tub and filling the tub with water and swapping out frozen water bottles to keep temperatures down, especially in the early going. I've never tried it with a lager, but seems like it would work just the same.

Starting late, but it's time to make the beer. Making a Märzen type beer for my wife, which I will keep a secret if she doesn't read this post. Using my newly founded favorite Avangard malt, hoping the pilsner and speciality malts are as good as the pale malt I used this past Monday. It's 19*F here, so running the wort chiller may be a challenge. At least it isn't as windy as they had forecast, yet. Those outside temperatures are keeping my basement on the cool side, so it's lager yeast at 57*F (top of range), hoping that it doesn't ferment into a tootie-fruity Märzen.

Had a decent Axis buck on the feeder this morning, about 30" tall horns but kinda narrow spread....but he had a load of his friends with him...I counted 18 deer. Had him in the scope, but I was freezing...17 degree chill factor. I knew if I pulled that trigger, I'd wind up really cold....by the time the herd thinned out, i had already talked myself outta the buck!

I scored a couple of bags of huge Meyer's lemons from a customer the other day....got Everclear...gonna make lemon extract or lemoncello. Got the fixings for a big batch of chilli, oughta do that just to tick off the red head because she wants to use her recipe....between her and the chilli, that oughta warm things up quick!

Also got my favorite Pilsner can kit too...maybe a little lemon zest in this batch. Whatever...I am gonna stay inside today and be warm. I know, I know....you Northern boys are gonna notch my man card for being a cold wussy...I'll loan you my knife, but I'm still not going back outside!

My wife told me we needed to bottle some wine today. (I hate when she does that) Bottled WineExpert Forza, 2015 Norton, and 2015 Chambourcin Port with chocolate and coffee extract added. Also pulled half of this year's Chambourcin of of cold stabilization and put other half in. Next week should be fine for my two rose's. One from Chambourcin, the other from St. Vincent. Those will be bottled probably in March.

Enjoying the sounds of silence (or at least as much silence as you can have with two young boys at home). The remediation contractor removed all the fans, blowers and dehumidifiers this afternoon. We can actually sleep in our house again. Now awaiting the next replies from the insurance company and reconstruction contractor. It'll be nice to sleep in my own bed again, regardless.

Watching the UCONN women's basketball game. 65-19 at halftime. Not much of a contest. They are going for their 90th win in a row. Unreal.

Cold, wet and dreary here. 33 degrees and rainy. Had an early basketball game for the oldest this morning. Then off to Whole Foods for some pork belly. Got that into a cure and I'll have some great homemade bacon after I smoke it next weekend. Going to get busy in the winery this afternoon. I have a lot of wine to rack. The AI1 is going to get a workout.

OK, all 4 2016 CA wines were racked and stabilized today. And wow, they are tasting awesome. I also took the WS Amarone out of the Vadai and moved the 3 Country Cab in. Also bottled the last of the 2015 wines from grapes. I had 3 gallons of Petite Sirah and 3 gallons of a Cab/Syrah/PS blend that was topped up with some 2014 Amador Zin. The PS is an absolute monster. Huge tannin and mouthfeel, desert dry, with light fruit on the finish - I'm going to let it rest for a year or two. Crazy good now, but I think the age will do wonders. The blend with the Zin is phenomenal. Both wines I tested several weeks ago and made slight tweaks to the acid. That paid huge dividends. Had 750ml left that was 75% blend and 25% Petite Sirah. Threw that into a bottle and am calling it the "Hot Mess". Don't think I'll age it too long, but it will be fun to consume nonetheless.

IMG_4930.jpg

Last edited:
With Mardi Gras right around the corner, wifey and I spent the day planning our MG escape. We like to do hiking vacations that time of year, but didn't feel it such a good idea this year, a little over two months after her neck surgery.

After a little discussion, we decided that we'd both like to go back to Napa Valley and finish what we started. First trip was too short and we didn't get to a handful of wineries and restaurants that we really wanted to experience.

Plane flights done, transportation to Yountville done, hotel reservations made, now were working on picking wineries and restaurants so we can get those lined up as well. Very excited to go back!!

Got to go out for lunch with my Wife, a rarity. She even paid (rarer still)! Originally headed South on Rt 15 towards Gettysburg to eat at Appalachain Brewing Co, but for some reason it wasn't open (an hour after it was supposed to open according to posted hours on the door). Headed into Gettysburg and went to a nice little Irish pub called the Garryowen Irish Pub ( http://garryowenirishpub.net/ ). Had a reuben sandwich with so much corned beef I almost couldn't get my big mouth around it for a bite. I also had two draught Guinness Stouts (wifey had a Yuengling traditional lager) that came in 20 oz pub glasses, yum! So full that I have no desire for food or beer this afternoon, yet. Better yet the bill total ($5 for each Guinness, mind you) was $35 before tip, very affordable and very good. I told her we need to do dinner there at some point, I'd like to try the Bangers & Mash or Shepherd's Pie, with a few more Guinness pints.

Edit: Wanted to burn off some lunch so I bottled the remaining 5 gallons of this Fall's Cali White Zin. 25 bottles bottled. 24 in storage, one in the fridge for my wife.

1-15-17_WZ-bottling.jpg

Last edited:
I watched Mike's Cowboys beat John and Jim's Giants in the NFC Divisional playoffs.... Wait, what?

You mean the Packers beat the Giants last week? Oh, and they beat the Cowboys this week, too!? Wow!! Well, whaddya know? :sm

After a little discussion, we decided that we'd both like to go back to Napa Valley and finish what we started. First trip was too short and we didn't get to a handful of wineries and restaurants that we really wanted to experience.

John, that sounds like a great trip. It sounds like you've spent time there before so this info may be moot, but I recommend a visit to Castello di Amorosa. Not that their wine is any better than the others but I enjoy the architecture and the tour. Yes it's designed to lure you in, but that doesn't take away from the very cool set up they have. Plus I'm a sucker for getting to see the barrel room.

We didn't have much time in Napa on our last trip but I was disappointed in the lack of access to cellars at the places we checked out. Also, if you want enough champagne to get tipsy try the Mumm's tour.

Dang, not the outcome I had hoped for but hard to beat a future hall of famer when he has a game that is basically a highlight reel. Good game at least. The NFC championship game this week should be a doozie!

I watched Mike's Cowboys beat John and Jim's Giants in the NFC Divisional playoffs.... Wait, what?

You mean the Packers beat the Giants last week? Oh, and they beat the Cowboys this week, too!? Wow!! Well, whaddya know? :sm

Back