Getting my feet wet...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

apple-ganger
Reaction score
So I am starting my first ever batch with 20 lbs of local wildflower honey and distilled water to 5 gallons. OG 1.140 at I'm guessing somewhere around less than 75F. Used K meta for insurance. I will be pitching EC-1118 tomorrow.

14407978_10154704034041264_678702790_o.jpg

14438794_10154704034711264_154440106_o.jpg

Hi...

Is it to late to use spring water in place of the distilled water? I believe most folks would recommend spring water over distilled water but I could be wrong.

Hi...

Is it to late to use spring water in place of the distilled water? I believe most folks would recommend spring water over distilled water but I could be wrong.

Spring water is not available around here, and "spring water" from the grocery isn't guaranteed to be anything. There is only two places on earth that would trust, one is 600 miles away and the other is over 1000.

Spring water is not available around here, and "spring water" from the grocery isn't guaranteed to be anything. There is only two places on earth that would trust, one is 600 miles away and the other is over 1000.

Are you from Australia?

Think I would have gone with the spring water from the grocery store. That's what I use and I know the same is for many other hobby wine makers.

regular tap water will work let it sit for about 12 hours to let the chlorine to dissipate. the minerals in this water are beneficial to the yeast.

well it's already too late from the first post, I'll take my chances and learn I guess. I will drop in a few banana slices, it will be ok.

Ayway....:u not all of the sugar was dissolved yesterday, OG rose to 1.151 @ 75F

regular tap water will work let it sit for about 12 hours to let the chlorine to dissipate. the minerals in this water are beneficial to the yeast.

Yes, I have used tap water in all of my other wines.
I just wanted to try something a little different. And yes
the chlorine does dissipate, but the flouride does not.

what if I crushed and added a couple multi vitamin tablets that have calcium, magnesium, and such?

what if I crushed and added a couple multi vitamin tablets that have calcium, magnesium, and such?

Very interesting. Never thought of that but think it just might help having used distilled water.

So how long does mead usually take to ferment?

It's been 7 weeks and I'm only at 50% of my goal and has slowed
quite a bit.

Are you adding nutrient (organic nitrogen, for example)? Honey is notoriously short of the nutrients that yeast need. Can you add DAP or Fermaid K or O? You can supply nutrients by boiling a tablespoon of bread yeast in a quarter cup of water and adding that when the solution has cooled.
Honey has no chemical buffers so the pH can drop precipitously low and that can inhibit or stall fermentation. Do you have any way to measure the pH? You may want to add a small quantity of K-carbonate. Add too much and you will be drinking liquid chalk.

well, no, not lately...I initially added yeast hulls and half a banana.
Today I gave it a dose of energizer and a couple multi vitamins.
I expected a geyser (like when I made strawberry) but nothing.
I guess, like you say if there's no nutrient maybe the yeast quit.

No I don't have any ph testing gear...I suppose I could get some dip
strips from the pharmacy?

as of the 12th it was around 1.070...

I finally got some nutrient but that hasn't sparked any new ferments
to speak of. I still haven't done ph test yet...if I have to adjust ph, will I also have to re-pitch yeast or should it take off again on its own?

as of the 12th it was around 1.070...

I finally got some nutrient but that hasn't sparked any new ferments
to speak of. I still haven't done ph test yet...if I have to adjust ph, will I also have to re-pitch yeast or should it take off again on its own?

Going back in the thread, your temps are reported in the 62F - 65F range, which will create extremely slow fermentation speed. Before you try anything else, get the temps up into the mid 70's, that should do the trick for you...

You started out with 1.151 s.g. Depending on your yeast, it might be fermented out, that is, the alcohol is high enough to kill off the yeast. Check how much alcohol the yeast will tolerate, do the math to see how much alcohol you have in the wine. Arne.

You started out with 1.151 s.g. Depending on your yeast, it might be fermented out, that is, the alcohol is high enough to kill off the yeast. Check how much alcohol the yeast will tolerate, do the math to see how much alcohol you have in the wine. Arne.

I only use EC 1118...no chance.

Back